?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
whos doing the paper tomorrow? i have a feeling journal is gonna come up
humzzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
what's the difference between transposition error and unequal entry error?
jei1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
transposition error is where for example the entry is £45 but you have transposed the other entry and it has incorrectly been posted as £54.

unequal entry error is basically where the credit side does not equal the debit side of the posting.
humzzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jei1)
transposition error is where for example the entry is £45 but you have transposed the other entry and it has incorrectly been posted as £54.

unequal entry error is basically where the credit side does not equal the debit side of the posting.
thanks tht makes sense now
dilz555
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by humzzy)
whos doing the paper tomorrow? i have a feeling journal is gonna come up
What's a journal?
As in the general journal?
humzzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dilz555)
What's a journal?
As in the general journal?
yes thats what i mean i really dont get it tho
jei1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really hope journals dont come up...im screwed otherwise! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
humzzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jei1)
I really hope journals dont come up...im screwed otherwise! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
im pretty sure it will cuz it aint *** up in a looong tym
jei1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone got any tips on how to post entries in sales ledger and purchase ledger...not the control accounts..just the actual ledgers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tntn1010
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jei1)
Anyone got any tips on how to post entries in sales ledger and purchase ledger...not the control accounts..just the actual ledgers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
These diagrams might help...let me know if you want me to explain them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
jimmey09
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by judging)
These diagrams might help...let me know if you want me to explain them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isnt it just double entry
nijam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i made some revision notes for unit 1
Attached files
tntn1010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jimmey09)
Isnt it just double entry
I'm assuming they just want to know how to post items in the ledger accounts from books of original entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
tntn1010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nijam)
i made some revision notes for unit 1
Thanks, those notes are great

Posted from TSR Mobile
jei1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the diagrams, but could u explain it please...literally still struggling and the exam is tomorrow!!!!! :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
nijam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Suspense account is simple you just have to follow a principle. For every correction you make u put that in the opposite side in the suspense acc. For example if sales is undercasted by 100. You correct this error by crediting 100 in sales acc. This goes in debit side of the suspense

Posted from TSR Mobile
humzzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by nijam)
Suspense account is simple you just have to follow a principle. For every correction you make u put that in the opposite side in the suspense acc. For example if sales is undercasted by 100. You correct this error by crediting 100 in sales acc. This goes in debit side of the suspense

Posted from TSR Mobile
thankss that helped me tooo
nijam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the control accounts it is easy to learn the layout then u can do most of the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
tntn1010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jei1)
Thanks for the diagrams, but could u explain it please...literally still struggling and the exam is tomorrow!!!!! :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right i think people get confused with the whole accounting system thing
1) source document - evidence of accounting information e.g. invoice
2) books of original entry - gathering and sorting accounting information e.g. sales day book, journal, cash book
3) ledger accounts - items "posted" to record the dual aspect of the transaction e.g. sales ledger, general ledger, purchases ledger
4) trial balance - arithmetic checking of double entry book keeping, a summary of the balances of all the accounts at the end of the accounting period
5) financial statements - statement measuring profit/loss, assets liabilities and capital, income statements and balance sheets

So those are the steps in the accounting system now you know exactly what point you're at - the ledger accounts
The sales ledger contains all the accounts of receivables - people who owe money to the business
The purchases ledger contains all the accounts of payables - people who the business owes money to
The general ledger contains other accounts like the sales account and the purchases account. DON'T GET MIXED UP BETWEEN PURCHASES/SALES LEDGER AND PURCHASES/SALES ACCOUNTS

So to post entries into the sales and general ledgers you need to have information from the sales day book. The sales day book has the details of the sale (the names) and the amount. All the names in the sales day book each have a separate account in the sales LEDGER (remember the sales ledger contains all receivables accounts), so you take the information for each receivable in the sales day book and put it in each account on the DR side, of the sales LEDGER. Now obviously this has to be a double entry, the other account affected by sales is the sales ACCOUNT. The sales ACCOUNT is in the GENERAL LEDGER. The sales account contains the totals of all receivables. So you total it up from the sales DAY BOOK and enter in the total figure in the GENERAL LEDGER on the CR side.
At the end you will notice that all of the DR entries of all the accounts in the Sales Ledger match up to the total figure in the CR side of the General Ledger.

The same process is with the Purchases Ledger but obviously DR and CR is swapped.
I basically explained what the diagram was showing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
tntn1010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nijam)
For the control accounts it is easy to learn the layout then u can do most of the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which textbook is this??

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads