This discussion is closed.
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by house badger)

*watches Magdalen arrogance grow even bigger* tsh!
*Magdalen have known since October: now the result is finally aloowed to be mentioned in public!*
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Wow - that's cool!

Do you have to be a second or third year to represent your college/uni? How did you manage to get a place on the reserve?

Let us know when your appearance (if you are selected) is coming up so as we can all tune in and watch you win!
No you don't have to be 2nd/3rd year - anyone can submit a team. You have to try out before you're even allowed on the show though, and we probably won't get through seeing as we're all first years apart from one postgrad. There were tryouts in college organised by someone who decided she wanted to captain a team. I got in but can't go to one of the qualifiers in May so they gave me reserve. Will let you know if I'm going to be on!!!
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
*Magdalen have known since October: now the result is finally aloowed to be mentioned in public!*
oh how i have tormented my die-hard-fan-parents with this! almost a shame it's now public..lol.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
he's a classicist..for some reason they always do when it comes to random trivia..ahem.."thrilling academic gems".
I've noticed that too. Classicist = knows alot of crap (and can figure out a surprising lot by knowledge of greek and latin!)
J
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I managed to get all the questions on flowers right and the questions on types of crow. Don't think I knew much else.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wow, do they really film it that far in advance? I didn't realise that, though obviously I knew it wasn't live.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Wow, do they really film it that far in advance? I didn't realise that, though obviously I knew it wasn't live.
Yeah they filmed them all together, before Michelmas term began. My friend and co. and Magdalen were forbidden to mention the results.

And I've met Spero.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

*sulks* univesity challenge makes me feel so stupid!
always makes me feel stupid too.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Lol I'm the reserve for our team in the next series so watch out for me next year hehe!!!
how do you get to be on the team? how do they decide?
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
how do you get to be on the team? how do they decide?
We had a quiz in our bar - chch (maybe that's why we never qualify!)
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
i knew the answer to the complex cojugate question, so that was cool! and 2 of the music ones, and e few others. But most, not a clue!
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
but Oxford are the more academic ones clearly! :rolleyes:
erm...........are you sure about this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
erm...........are you sure about this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:
Well I was only being sarcastic when I made the comment (hence the silly smilies). It depends what you want to study and how you want to study it I suppose. For my degree I prefered the Oxford's course so I am a little biased towards them!
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 15 years ago
Anyone watch the Final tonight? I thought Magdalen, Oxford really deserved to win as their captain was much calmer! The Cambridge captain seemed to get very irritated with himself and his teammates!

Oh well, Cambridge can win the boat race, but Oxford are the more academic ones clearly! :rolleyes:
He was on the same landing in college as my brother a couple of years ago, and he said he was a bit of a smug get, and a bit up himself. And he also said the girl left of centre was a bit strange and the one on the right was *very* smug and lost her temper a lot - she was into AmDram and stuff.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
He was on the same landing in college as my brother a couple of years ago, and he said he was a bit of a smug get, and a bit up himself. And he also said the girl left of centre was a bit strange and the one on the right was *very* smug and lost her temper a lot - she was into AmDram and stuff.
The biochemist was a bit weird! But then I thought she was just nervous about saying what she thought the answer was and then got all embarrassed when she got it right! The blond girl (on right as u look) did seem up herself, but she didn't answer many questions in the final compared to previous rounds!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The biochemist was a bit weird! But then I thought she was just nervous about saying what she thought the answer was and then got all embarrassed when she got it right! The blond girl (on right as u look) did seem up herself, but she didn't answer many questions in the final compared to previous rounds!
Did you see the semis the biochemist was nominated to answer a question where they gave avagadros law and asked what it was. she said it was boyles law. i hope it was just a case of nerves.

i knew the complex conjugate question too i was v.proud of myself.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does the show have a website or anything like that? Is it available outside the UK?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/smb1001/uc/ucshow.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/...ww&go=homepage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/...enge&scope=all
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm... thanks for these links, but I was thinking more along the lines of an official website, perhaps with sample questions and so forth. Do you know if the show is available outside the UK?
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
seriously, how are they so dam clever? hate to say it, but they must have just about all gone to top public schools where they have time to teach you lots of stuff, or have very intelligent parents. that kind of general knowledge doesnt come easily.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.54%
No (68)
11.54%
I'm not old enough (241)
40.92%

Watched Threads