The Student Room Group

Footballers aren't overpaid

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midgemeister7
Yes, the vast majority are much more hard-working, train daily and miss their families for whole weekends travelling. The average worker never thought about their job long before getting it and work Monday-Friday on the same pay (almost) as League Two footballers.

Sheesh... whole weekends? Aren't they unlucky...

People only criticize other people's salaries because they are jealous. Footballers are criticised because they earn hundreds of thousands for running around a field chasing a ball (like a dog) once in a while. Compare this to the average 9-5 worker who gets paid £20k a year and you can see why they are jealous of the footballers.
Yes, the vast majority are much more hard-working, train daily and miss their families for whole weekends travelling. The average worker never thought about their job long before getting it and work Monday-Friday on the same pay (almost) as League Two footballers.

People only criticize other people's salaries because they are jealous. Footballers are criticised because they earn hundreds of thousands for running around a field chasing a ball (like a dog) once in a while. Compare this to the average 9-5 worker who gets paid £20k a year and you can see why they are jealous of the footballers.
Original post by Runninground

They don't have it bad - I was just highlighting the point. The difference between them and a 9-5 job is that a 20k a year job would take a heck of a lot less effort over the course of their childhood/working life. There's much more to football than 'running around a field chasing a ball' - hence why they earn the money they do.
I think this is an.interesting debate. We did it in class once- 14 of us said it wasnt overpaid wheareas 6 people thought it was.

But imo they arent- they are under enormous pressure every week in front of tens of thousands of people in the stadium alone, let alone on TV etc. Whatever they do the media scrutinises it- how they played in a match, who they dated, what they did in their free time etc..theres a complete lack of privacy. Additionally they carry a high risk of injury due to the intense nature of their jobs so are putting their bodies at risk. And they arent in the business for long, many are forced to retire around 30 so for the most part that will be their only income. :smile:
the idiot public makes it profitable in the first place.
Reply 25

They "work" (if you can call running around doing stretches working) in the mornings, and get the rest of the day off, excluding match days.

And let's not forget: this "job" they're doing is something a lot of people CHOOSE to do for FUN.

Millions of people are doing something more worthwhile with their lives, and barely scraping a living. Why you wretched ****tards hero worship people who would **** on you soon as look as you confuses me a lot.
Original post by Rant
They "work" (if you can call running around doing stretches working) in the mornings, and get the rest of the day off, excluding match days.

And let's not forget: this "job" they're doing is something a lot of people CHOOSE to do for FUN.

Millions of people are doing something more worthwhile with their lives, and barely scraping a living. Why you wretched ****tards hero worship people who would **** on you soon as look as you confuses me a lot.

It seems like you have an irrational hatred of football. Tell me - how is entertaining millions of people less worthwhile than doing a secretary job (or something of the sort) that has no relevance to anything at all?
Reply 27
Anyone who thinks footballers are overpaid is incredibly ignorant, there are few things that annoy me more than the stupid claim that soldiers or nurses should earn more than footballers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I personally can't agree with the argument that footballers are overpaid. Some are overpaid considering their profession, such as Wayne Rooney - he's a great player on his day, but does not justify 300k a week at all. However, professional football players have dedicated literally their whole lives to their profession. They would have spent their whole childhood practising day in, day out. Compare that to a teacher or an accountant who would have only trained for their jobs well after the age of 18. Taking into account the sheer number of hours put into the job, the money is well earned.

Not only that, but the generalised comments of 'footballers are overpaid' are always aimed at the select few at the pinnacle of their game. For example the average yearly wage of a League Two footballer, of which there are many, is just 8k a year more than the average UK wage. They will also have spent the majority of their lives training, yet they are definitely not 'overpaid'.

Here is a good quote from Michael Owen on the subject:

‘If you have a skill, which people are prepared to part with their hard-earned cash in order to watch, those with the skill will always command high salaries.

‘Nobody complains if pop stars sell out a stadium and rake in millions from a tour. Nobody complains about the reported weekly salaries, according to Forbes, of sportsmen such as Kobe Bryant (£700k), Roger Federer (£800k), Phil Mickelson (£480k) and Usain Bolt (£290k).
‘What is so different to a footballer earning similar amounts for being at the top of their own particular sport?’

What are your thoughts on the matter?

You could argue that they're overpaid on the grounds that a lot of top football clubs are run on debt. Only need to look at a club like Portsmouth or Leeds a few years back, considering the financial positions and performance levels of those clubs I would suggest the players were overpaid.
Reply 29
I think there are two arguments here. Some argue 'why should they be paid so much for kicking a ball about' which taken in complete isolation from a major club, fans, the whole football industry makes sense. However, like an actor or actress, musician, artist their skill is something which is part of an international brand which brings money into the club in the form of merchandise, sponsorship deals, tickets for games, TV rights etc. This is no different really to Rihanna, Beyonce, Angelina Jolie, Cameron Diaz, Johnny Depp receiving a lot of money for using their talent in a way which brings money in to a record company or film studio.

Someone who plays football vs. other professions argument is a fair one. Should kicking a ball about be paid as much as a nurse, soldier etc?

A footballer playing for an well-known club in a top league and internationally should be entitled to more money. This is reflected by the discrepancies in the pay of those in lower leagues. It isn't about the fact they play football, it is what their skill can bring to the club in terms of revenue etc.
they are overpaid
Reply 31
It's a huge understatement to say that footballers are overpaid. They don't deserve to be paid even a penny. All they're doing is kicking a ball around ffs!!! They're not using their brains at all. They're not benefiting anyone at all. They're not contributing to society or helping people in any way or form. It's a completely and utterly useless 'profession' (I hate to refer to it as a profession, but sadly that's what it is, it's a profession, footballers get paid).
I just find it hilarious that football clubs are in massive amounts of debt and income deficit, yet continue to pay more ridiculous sums of money to overpaid players.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Club together and knock their salaries down.

They're not really paid to how the public market sees fit. They're paid to an internal market of club executives.

If each Premier League player was paid 5% less, the number of fans and revenue from all sources wouldn't even budge; but it would take half a dozen clubs into profit rather than loss. Demand from club executives is hardly the same as demand from fans.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Stinkum
It's a huge understatement to say that footballers are overpaid. They don't deserve to be paid even a penny. All they're doing is kicking a ball around ffs!!! They're not using their brains at all. They're not benefiting anyone at all. They're not contributing to society or helping people in any way or form. It's a completely and utterly useless 'profession' (I hate to refer to it as a profession, but sadly that's what it is, it's a profession, footballers get paid).

You're one of the ignorant people I was referring to

Original post by DarkWhite
If each Premier League player was paid £1m less, the number of fans and revenue from all sources wouldn't even budge; but it would take half a dozen clubs into profit rather than loss. Demand from club executives is hardly the same as demand from fans.

No premier league player is going to take a wage cut of £1 million and why should they. For some players it would mean they earned literally nothing
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Wade-
You're one of the ignorant people I was referring to

Posted from TSR Mobile

What am I ignorant of? What profound wisdom and knowledge do I lack or am unaware of?
Original post by Stinkum

Are they not benefiting the hundreds of millions worldwide who follow football?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Stinkum
What am I ignorant of? What profound wisdom and knowledge do I lack or am unaware of?

Your ignorant to football, saying 'they don't use their brains' shows a clear lack of understanding of the game and saying 'all they do is kick a ball around' is simply disrespectful. Footballers are entertainers in a industry worth millions if not billions of course they deserve high salaries.

Also people who moan about footballers salaries almost always forget it's the top 1% who make millions a year, the vast majority earn slightly more than the average person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stinkum

I don't see the logic in this argument; perhaps you can explain it to me. I enjoy watching football and therefore I enjoy watching footballers practice their "profession" or whatever you want to call it. Now I am happy to pay a small amount for this service (me being entertained). Some of this money goes to the footballers. These small amounts from the millions of people who similarly enjoy watching football are what makes these players salaries.

In what way do the players not deserve this money?
Reply 38
Are they not benefiting the hundreds of millions worldwide who follow football?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. They're not benefiting anyone. By the way, I'm not forgetting about all the billions of pounds and dollars that the world football industry generates. I'm referring to the actually activity itself in its most basic, bare form. If you look at what they're doing - i.e. kicking a ball around a grass pitch - it doesn't take a genius to realise it's a completely useless activity. It's not like they're growing food, or manufacturing goods, or providing a service to people.

The fact that football generates such a huge revenue and the fact that it's such an enormous industry is not evidence of its usefulness, humanity doesn't rely on a bunch of people kicking a ball around for its survival or sustenance. Just because people like to throw their money at something useless, doesn't mean that the people getting paid deserve that money.
Original post by Stinkum
No. They're not benefiting anyone. By the way, I'm not forgetting about all the billions of pounds and dollars that the world football industry generates. I'm referring to the actually activity itself in its most basic, bare form. If you look at what they're doing - i.e. kicking a ball around a grass pitch - it doesn't take a genius to realise it's a completely useless activity. It's not like they're growing food, or manufacturing goods, or providing a service to people.

The fact that football generates such a huge revenue and the fact that it's such an enormous industry is not evidence of its usefulness, humanity doesn't rely on a bunch of people kicking a ball around for its survival or sustenance. Just because people like to throw their money at something useless, doesn't mean that the people getting paid deserve that money.

Where should that money go then?

Quick Reply

Latest