quick question on tarmac... IMPORTANT!! Watch

Angelo12231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Tarmac has a lot of grip right... This means that when you are running, you are less likely to fall as you would have better grip because of the tarmac so there is a lower risk of injury...

Would you say this is true?
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Tarmac has very inconsistent grip (rain, ice, etc.). More grip =/= safer.

That, and who the hell falls over whilst running? Seriously, I'm not sure how that happens, without ice or the like.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueSam3)
No. Tarmac has very inconsistent grip (rain, ice, etc.). More grip =/= safer.

That, and who the hell falls over whilst running? Seriously, I'm not sure how that happens, without ice or the like.
i meant when its dry...
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Angelo12231)
i meant when its dry...
Then it still has worse grip than soil, dirt, granite, or concrete, to name a few. Not that it matters in the least, because I still cannot comprehend how this is even a remotely relevant risk. We may as well be discussing the probability of being struck by lightning on various surfaces.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Then it still has worse grip than soil, dirt, granite, or concrete, to name a few. Not that it matters in the least, because I still cannot comprehend how this is even a remotely relevant risk. We may as well be discussing the probability of being struck by lightning on various surfaces.
yeah but i was doing a geography paper and it said: how does tarmac flooring encourage people to use cyclone shelters when there is a cyclone?... Then i said: tarmac roads are rough so they have a better grip which makes it easier for people to walk on and get to the shelter quicker as it would be more accessible. Also, any risk of injury would be reduced as a better surface grip would allow more people to access the shelter at once.

is this valid?btw it was a cyclone in bangladesh
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah but i was doing a geography paper and it said: how does tarmac flooring encourage people to use cyclone shelters when there is a cyclone?... Then i said: tarmac roads are rough so they have a better grip which makes it easier for people to walk on and get to the shelter quicker as it would be more accessible. Also, any risk of injury would be reduced as a better surface grip would allow more people to access the shelter at once.

is this valid?btw it was a cyclone in bangladesh
Why did you not just (A) ask the question you wanted answering; and (B) post this in anything resembling the right forum?

Anyway, no. The main benefit of a tarmac floor in a cyclone is that it's still there, and not busily vanishing downhill or turning into a quagmire.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Why did you not just (A) ask the question you wanted answering; and (B) post this in anything resembling the right forum?

Anyway, no. The main benefit of a tarmac floor in a cyclone is that it's still there, and not busily vanishing downhill or turning into a quagmire.
i doubt any other flooring would be easily removed though... thats not the point though, how does it encourage people to use the shelter... it doesn't matter if it gets blown away, what matters is that they get to the shelter safely before the cyclone...
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i doubt any other flooring would be easily removed though... thats not the point though, how does it encourage people to use the shelter... it doesn't matter if it gets blown away, what matters is that they get to the shelter safely before the cyclone...
Which would you be more likely to stand in:
1) A shelter with a dirt floor that will quickly turn into several feet of mud.
2) A shelter with a tarmac floor where the water will (hopefully) wash away?
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Which would you be more likely to stand in:
1) A shelter with a dirt floor that will quickly turn into several feet of mud.
2) A shelter with a tarmac floor where the water will (hopefully) wash away?
actually your wrong... there will likely be more flooding in that area due to impermeable surface which is tarmac... if the ground had no tarmac it would be better for floods as it means there will be more ground water infiltration so all the water will hopefully percolate through the soil into a groundwater store. This couldn't be done with surfaces like tarmac as water can't get through! it will take longer for flood to wash away.
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
actually your wrong... there will likely be more flooding in that area due to impermeable surface which is tarmac... if the ground had no tarmac it would be better for floods as it means there will be more ground water infiltration so all the water will hopefully percolate through the soil into a groundwater store. This couldn't be done with surfaces like tarmac as water can't get through! it will take longer for flood to wash away.
Permeation to groundwater stores takes time. In a monsoon, you don't have time. All that matters in those circumstances is whether the water leaves without doing much damage - and mud does a whole lot worse than tarmac in those cases. Specifically, drowning in mud isn't unknown.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads