Turn on thread page Beta

WJEC Economics Exam (May 13th) - EC1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wondering what everyone thought about the exam? I've done almost every past paper from 2005-2013 in preparation for the exam and I'd never seen a first question so obscure!

The general opinion from my college/tutor was that the exam was a poor representation of the course and what they usually asked. I think perhaps the first question will of thrown some students.

Questions about APD (Air Passenger Duty), Productivity, and Interest Rates were by far the easiest: however I found the "Carbon Emissions" ridiculous how "a)" had about 4 lines yet asked to draw a diagram. Ridiculously formatted.

Overall, I think they focused far too much on micro issues like market/government failure and intervention but didn't even touch on elasticities.

Also, supply side policies on an EC1? Seemed a bit odd to me. What did people put as their drawbacks?.. I put that the impact of the Supply Side Policies was dependent on the sizes of the grants for things like education (apprenticeships e.g).

Thoughts on it all ?

ReputationRep:
    I found it OK. There were some decently easy questions like the monetary policy and supply side and the government failure one was fine. The pollution permits question for me was a complete surprise and (partly due to my stress) forgot to draw any diagram because i thought it meant "with the aid of the diagram" as in the one above. The formatting issue could've been the reason why i didn't draw the diagram there. The first question was a surprise (yet not bad also) mainly because you never see a PPC question that long on an EC1 paper.

All in all, it was a pretty badly worded paper at some points, but it also was fair for the most part so i'm happy at least.

For the supply side policies one i put the fact that it depends if you are in a recession or not (keynsian diagram), time lags, issues with deregulation and privitisation and issues with the amount of government spending on education and training of workers to get into these skilled jobs.

What did everyone get for the very first one mark question btw? I've never seen a question quite like that

ReputationRep:
    For Question 1 it was just a case of working that the Capital goods was at 47% and you then put that on the diagram. So on the left the %GDP was at 47/48 and on the bottom it was 52/53

What do you think grade boundaries will be like?

I think it will very much be the type of test that determines the good economists from the bad.

I don't think it was a bad test - in terms of testing our understanding - but instead just a very poorly thought out/badly made test. My entire college was very annoyed to be completely honest - but I spoke with my economics teacher about the test and all the questions and it seemed I got most marks.

One thing I don't think I got was on the part where the tariff had been put on (demand and supply diagram) and it wanted you to find the government tax revenue created. I completely forgot for that one so just calculated a rectangle. (not the last question that I'm referring to)

ReputationRep:
    I think it went alright, I knew most of the knowledge I think. But they seemed to word/set out some of the questions pretty badly which I think will have messed quite a few people up (including myself probably!)

ReputationRep:
    The exam layout was completely different from the past papers I've been practising, and in truth was probability the hardest EC1 exam out of all of them. The questions they asked were obscure like calculating tax, I've never been taught that before! And I lost a lot of marks due to my timing, I had to rush the last two 8 mark questions and wrote barely anything for supply side policy -_- hopefully the grade boundaries will be low. In comparison to Jan'14 EC1, this was waaay unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I resat this paper yesterday because I was only a couple of ums off an A at As so i thought I'd resit it!
    I honestly can say that's one of the hardest papers I have ever sat! It's quite annoying because on lots of past papers I've been getting A's on and they've been relatively easy ,but that paper was ridiculous!
    It's stupid of wjec have no real textbook and revision guide so there's always that uncertainty and unpredictability of what they can put on the exam sadly. Let's hope for low grade boundaries. I thought the last 4 questions were okay but the first couple couple were a bit weird? They never give enough room for lines so I kept going over the lines!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey J56 and d9717

Do not be too disheartened guys. Everyone at my college have stressed how hard it was. Let's just revise hard for EC2!

I think - looking at the test again today - it was actually (in some places) a VERY easy paper. In others it was VERY hard. The things they were asking us was not particularly difficult but the WAY they asked was. Most of the paper was very deceptive unfortunately. For example, the pollution permits question a) gave 4 lines and was actually a Supply/Demand question... whilst the monopolistic depth they asked for government failure is actually an A2 topic. I'm aware you go into it at AS but it doesn't say in the spec to go into that much detail. Thankfully I answered that one and my teacher said my guess was good. I think I revised a harder spec during the holidays and they brushed on it!

I get completely what you mean about the paper being harder than past years. I did about 15-20 past papers in preparation for this exam and none were as deceptive and as poorly made as this exam. I wouldn't of said the knowledge they required was mind-bending - but they didn't ask it in a way that tested your understanding of the topics, more your ability to think outside the box. Not a fair test at all - but it will be the same for everyone.

I was just outraged at just how little they actually covered in the exam. They missed out elasticities completely and didn't even ask for opportunity cost/basic economics problem etc.

If you're not happy with it all, then do speak to your lecturers/tutors and see if they're complaining to the exam board. By the sounds of it, my tutor will be - as it wasn't a true representation of EC1 at all.

Any more thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsEconomics17)
    Hey J56 and d9717

Do not be too disheartened guys. Everyone at my college have stressed how hard it was. Let's just revise hard for EC2!

I think - looking at the test again today - it was actually (in some places) a VERY easy paper. In others it was VERY hard. The things they were asking us was not particularly difficult but the WAY they asked was. Most of the paper was very deceptive unfortunately. For example, the pollution permits question a) gave 4 lines and was actually a Supply/Demand question... whilst the monopolistic depth they asked for government failure is actually an A2 topic. I'm aware you go into it at AS but it doesn't say in the spec to go into that much detail. Thankfully I answered that one and my teacher said my guess was good. I think I revised a harder spec during the holidays and they brushed on it!

I get completely what you mean about the paper being harder than past years. I did about 15-20 past papers in preparation for this exam and none were as deceptive and as poorly made as this exam. I wouldn't of said the knowledge they required was mind-bending - but they didn't ask it in a way that tested your understanding of the topics, more your ability to think outside the box. Not a fair test at all - but it will be the same for everyone.

I was just outraged at just how little they actually covered in the exam. They missed out elasticities completely and didn't even ask for opportunity cost/basic economics problem etc.

If you're not happy with it all, then do speak to your lecturers/tutors and see if they're complaining to the exam board. By the sounds of it, my tutor will be - as it wasn't a true representation of EC1 at all.

Any more thoughts?
    True went over it today lunch with my economics teacher and he said its one the hardest papers will unfair paper he's seen in a long while!
    I'm actually an A2 student ,i just resat ec1 because I had B and was trying to get it up to an A!

But hey by the sounds of it, we probably getting low grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsEconomics17)
    Hey J56 and d9717

Any more thoughts?
    A lot of people in my college also found this exam difficult. I agree with your comment but what outraged me is that; I was expecting the exam to follow the pattern set by past papers questions however the way the exam was out of the blue made it more difficult than an past EC1 papers.

Also I've been looking at grade boundaries over the past years for EC1, they don't seem to change very often with the majority being set at 35/60 for an A. Maybe this will change this year since the exam was harder?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2014

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.