Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 16 Years old and I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. We have been through so much together and we consider eachother as bestfriends as well. We have many plans for the future including children!

However a few months ago, I accidently fell in a deep crush for this boy I work with who is 21. We would laugh together, talk to each other about everything and sometimes he would flirt with me. We were so open to eachother! Ever since I fell for him, I have never been able to get him out of my head - nomatter how much I try, he is still there! But, we had a heart to hard a bit back and I explained my feelings for him and so did he. He told me how he did not like me at all in that way but, he wishes I was older.
    Although he says he doesn't like me in relationship wise, he repeatedly flirts with me etc at work. What does this mean? He told me he just does it for fun? But this makes me like him even more I need help.
    During this, me and my boyfriend have been having arguments over silly things and I have gotten really stressed out and floated away from him.
    I have tried breaking up with him, but end up running back to him because I can't stand the thought of him being with someone else.

I have no idea how to sort my feelings out
    I really need advice, no matter how stupid I may sound

Thanks x

(Original post by saracarolina7)
    I am currently 16 Years old and I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. We have been through so much together and we consider eachother as bestfriends as well. We have many plans for the future including children!

However a few months ago, I accidently fell in a deep crush for this boy I work with who is 21. We would laugh together, talk to each other about everything and sometimes he would flirt with me. We were so open to eachother! Ever since I fell for him, I have never been able to get him out of my head - nomatter how much I try, he is still there! But, we had a heart to hard a bit back and I explained my feelings for him and so did he. He told me how he did not like me at all in that way but, he wishes I was older.
    Although he says he doesn't like me in relationship wise, he repeatedly flirts with me etc at work. What does this mean? He told me he just does it for fun? But this makes me like him even more I need help.
    During this, me and my boyfriend have been having arguments over silly things and I have gotten really stressed out and floated away from him.
    I have tried breaking up with him, but end up running back to him because I can't stand the thought of him being with someone else.

Thanks x
    This is going to sound pretty naff of me, but I'd say it's likely your age, and the hormones and inexperience going on. When my first girlfriend and I broke up, I was terrified of her being with another man, and I thought that was proof that I really loved her. As it was, it was just that I didn't want her to have fun with anyone after me (thankfully I've grown up since then). With my second girlfriend, the whole breakup thing was just '...meh' - if you get me.

My honest advice would be to spend some time away from both your boyfriend and the other guy, maybe a month or two. If you can't stand it, that's good - your mind will sort itself out and eventually the turmoil will settle into a decision or a feeling that you can more readily identify.

ReputationRep:

I'm trying not to sound patronising, but this sums up perfectly why teenage relationships are usually doomed to failure (I realise that this doesn't happen to everyone; my grandparents have been together since they were 16). All the eggs go into one basket without any regard for external factors... until they happen.

Flirting is just flirting. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as "harmless flirting" (oxymoron if I ever did see one), because for me flirting is an act that you enter into with someone before the courting phase pre-relationship (I just rationalised being slightly jealous, go me :awesome: ).
    However, many people think that flirting is perfectly normal, and I can see the logic behind that in that if both parties agree that it's just flirting and will never go any further then das coo'.

He flirts with you, tells you it doesn't mean anything, you're more attracted to him because he rejects you. I've known many people who suffer from wantwhattheycanthaveitis, and it never bodes well because as soon as they get what they want, they're no longer interested.

If you really think that you and your boyfriend have a serious future together then consider this the first of many hurdles that you'll have to overcome. Love sucks doesn't it?

ReputationRep:

You're 16. Whatever plans or dreams you have at the moment will likely change dramatically over the next few years. There is almost no way your current relationship will last. And there is no way that 'we have been through so much together' is accurate. Honestly, you should just let yourself breathe a bit. It sounds like your relationship is kind of suffocating if you see it as so serious so young.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks x
    Going to sound a little harsh but I doubt a 21 year old would really flirt with a 16 year old... You been with your bf since you were 15 and since your young you take interest in others which Is kinda normal. But I do think breaking up with your boyfriend is the best because if it's not the 21 year old it'll be someone else. Your feelings for your bf may be lost and you just see him as your property since you been together so long. It's normal but you should be a better person and leave him if you can't stop thinking about someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most males don't flirt with females because they like them, they flirt because they don't dislike them. Just because the guy is flirting with you, doesn't mean he's into you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lead him on - yes you might not like the thought of being alone but sometimes it's better to just spend a lot of time with your friends and family and eventually find someone else

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.