GCSE Edexcel Geography B exam discussion Watch

ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How did you find it? I can't believe how hard it was. It was impossible! I liked the 4 marks, but the 6 and 2 marked questions were awful! I revised so many case studies and a grand total of 2 (plus 2 in one four mark) came up!

Opinions? Do you think the grade boundaries will be low because of this?
spoony22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
How did you find it? I can't believe how hard it was. It was impossible! I liked the 4 marks, but the 6 and 2 marked questions were awful! I revised so many case studies and a grand total of 2 (plus 2 in one four mark) came up!

Opinions? Do you think the grade boundaries will be low because of this?
yeh ikr no questions on case studies at all. grade boundaries should be so low my whole year found it so hard
jazzdorgan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i found it increadably hard, my last two questions were river processes and extreme environments, i also spoke to my geography teachers after and they said that some of the questions were As/A-Level standard. i think the grade boundaries will be low if everyone found it hard
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jazzdorgan)
i found it increadably hard, my last two questions were river processes and extreme environments, i also spoke to my geography teachers after and they said that some of the questions were As/A-Level standard. i think the grade boundaries will be low if everyone found it hard
Really? That's great! May mean grade boundaries will lower. Out of curiosity, what did you talk about in the last eight mark? I wrote about diguettes in Burkina Faso and solar power in the Sahal but apparently you had to do an arid & tundra environment. This is stressful...

Posted from TSR Mobile
whyBelikethis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
omg i found it hard too, no case studies came up. where did the volcano and earthquakes go. spent soo much time learning about Kashmir-Pakistan, the Himalayans and EYJAFJALLAJOEKULL (ICELANDIC VOLCANO)
whyBelikethis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really? That's great! May mean grade boundaries will lower. Out of curiosity, what did you talk about in the last eight mark? I wrote about diguettes in Burkina Faso and solar power in the Sahal but apparently you had to do an arid & tundra environment. This is stressful...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i talked only about hot arids and used arizona as an example
i actually feel as if geography is a lost cause for me right now
OneIsNotAmused
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Half our course was spent on learning case studies, a complete waste of time. The question that was just wrong was How do altitude and soils affect biome distribution. What am I meant to say for that! The fact that temperature changes every 100m you ascend or descend by a small amount, that plants need different nutrients from different places and that plants that dont store water cant survive in desert like cactus doesnt give you anywhere near six marks. I'll be lucky if I get 2.

The Restless Earth 6 marker was a waste of our knowledge, I had Mt. Pinatubo, Kashmir and Loma Prieta earthquakes in my head. 3 Gorges dam China, Bangladesh suffering from climate change, Brazilian Amazon, Aborgines and Inuits, costs and benefits to UK via climate change, desalination plant Algiers, Algeria and more and what do Edexcel ask for? The biggest load of rubbish I've ever seen.
jazzdorgan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the last 8 mark question i wrote about hard and soft engineering in arid and tundra climates. and yes yes it is very stressful, but if you think about it that exam was only 25%
98girl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Many teachers are complaining, the whole of twitter seemed to fail that so it makes me feel better even though I didn't even answer two of the questions. Literally, it was so vague to interpret like the preventative hazardous structures of earthquakes in the developing world!! Like honestly THE DEVELOPING WORLD, the solutions in the official workbook clearly aren't options for undeveloped countries, surely they couldn't afford this!There are no case studies or mention of this relative to THE DEVELOPING WORLD. wtf! And in the last question I also wrote about the Oxfam project about the diguettes in Burkina Faso, I know a lot of other people who used that sole example too!
fudgeboy989
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the restless earth 6 mark I wrote about ring beams, through stones, knee-bracing, removing mud overlay etc. And for the extreme environments I talked a lot about arid conservation farming and desalination, and for tundra I talked about using heated groundwater supplies by magma in Iceland for energy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mikeyjbax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hardest test I've taken so far, but luckily a lot could be maken up using knowledge you had learnt, and yes the grade boundaries will be low so I'm sure one failed big question won't matter too much!
NEXUSFAN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I failed - unless an A* is at about 65% which it probably isn't, it's probably at about 82% this year.

In school we studied questions 6 and 7, but I did 5 and 8 accidentally and purposefully at the same time!

Purposefully because they looked easier than 6 and 7 to me, but accidentally because I didn't know that I would be setting myself up for failure by doing them! Our coursework was on rivers so Q6 and 7 applied to me.

Thankfully it's only 25% of my grade and I did ok on the coursework...
JessClaire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This cheers me up since most people I know hated the paper. I was so annoyed when I saw there was hardly any case studies! How's everyone feeling about unit 2 on Thursday?
onliestme
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone else terrified for the Unit 2 exam tomorrow?
JessClaire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by onliestme)
Anyone else terrified for the Unit 2 exam tomorrow?
YES I have English tomorrow afternoon as well so I'm stressing out like crazy :'(
onliestme
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JessClaire)
YES I have English tomorrow afternoon as well so I'm stressing out like crazy :'(
Yeah same! Are you doing the AQA English Lit. Poetry exam?
JessClaire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by onliestme)
Yeah same! Are you doing the AQA English Lit. Poetry exam?
No im doing WJEC English lit on an inspector calls and heroes
onliestme
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh good luck anyway I've done my inspector calls exam already
Master_X
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been thinking, seeing as there was no case studies in unit 1 paper, if there would be any point in learning any for unit 2. it seems like it would be a waste of time if non came up.???!
Shafi786
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None came up, but points were awarded for including them in answers... Also, unit 2, they're just common sense aren't they?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (155)
45.59%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.41%