Xbox One to be sold without Kinect

Watch
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-de...g-more-choices

Big news indeed for the Xbox One! Arguably some would say that it's overdue, but it's still quite a shock to see this coming out of the blue (preceded only by a tweet at about 3.45 today, 15 minutes before this announcement). Clearing the way for other announcements at E3, perhaps! :holmes:

Here's an extract from the story on the Xbox site:
beginning on June 9th, in all markets where Xbox One is sold, we will offer Xbox One starting at $399*. This is a new console option that does not include Kinect. For $399, our new Xbox One offering will continue to deliver access to the best blockbuster games like “Titanfall,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” and the upcoming “Watch Dogs,” “Destiny” and "Sunset Overdrive." You will also be able to access popular entertainment apps, such as Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, as well as watch live TV and use OneGuide. Finally, you will continue to be able to use many of the unique features of Xbox One including the ability to get game invites while you watch TV, switch between games and entertainment apps, enjoy Twitch broadcasts, and upload your favorite gaming moments.
I've not seen anything certain about a new UK price just yet, but I'd guess that it'll be set to match the PS4.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
£349 in the UK according to IGN and the Metro. :p:
Illusionary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Smurf)
£349 in the UK according to IGN and the Metro. :p:
Yeah, that would sound about right... though of course, you could already find it discounted to that if you looked in the right places!
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Finally
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
£350 deals on the One with Kinect crop up fairly routinely now and bundles with desirable games like Titanfall are also consistently being sold for under £400 on Amazon. Not to mention it still only matches the PS4's RRP, so isn't going to win any converts/fence sitters over with massive savings. Hopefully this "barebones" XB1 will drop in price correspondingly or they go aggressive with the bundles, otherwise for the sake of £20-£40 I'd pick up one up in a bundle with Kinect on the rare hope they later develop an innovation I actually want to use!
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
$399 is £236.96, so that's the US price for the new Xbox One? Just over £110 cheaper than the UK version?
Mr Smurf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
£350 deals on the One with Kinect crop up fairly routinely now and bundles with desirable games like Titanfall are also consistently being sold for under £400 on Amazon. Not to mention it still only matches the PS4's RRP, so isn't going to win any converts/fence sitters over with massive savings. Hopefully this "barebones" XB1 will drop in price correspondingly or they go aggressive with the bundles, otherwise for the sake of £20-£40 I'd pick up one up in a bundle with Kinect on the rare hope they later develop an innovation I actually want to use!
But why wouldn't those £350 and £400 + a game deals now become £300 and £350 + a game?
Illusionary
Rep:
?
But why wouldn't those £350 and £400 + a game deals now become £300 and £350 + a game?
It may well, but that'll be down to individual retailer discounts rather than RRP. Levels of demand will probably be a factor here. I'd not be particularly surprised to see this, but I'd say that it's far from a certainty for now.

(Original post by AstroNandos)
$399 is £236.96, so that's the US price for the new Xbox One? Just over £110 cheaper than the UK version?
Consoles and games being significantly more expensive here than in the US is nothing new. Unfortunately
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It took the new boss one month to do the obvious thing. At least he's listening to the gamers. My desire to buy one has risen. Sunset Overdrive looks awesome.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
It may well, but that'll be down to individual retailer discounts rather than RRP. Levels of demand will probably be a factor here. I'd not be particularly surprised to see this, but I'd say that it's far from a certainty for now.

Consoles and games being significantly more expensive here than in the US is nothing new. Unfortunately
I know, but £110 seems to be like an even bigger difference than before :/
Illusionary
Rep:
?
I know, but £110 seems to be like an even bigger difference than before :/
$499 -> £429
$399 -> £349

Very slightly away from our favour, but not significantly so.:dontknow:
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
$499 -> £429
$399 -> £349

Very slightly away from our favour, but not significantly so.:dontknow:
Would it cost less to buy an xbox one from America and have it sent to the UK, I wonder...
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would it cost less to buy an xbox one from America and have it sent to the UK, I wonder...
Once you have paid all of the import costs, probably not. It'd also be a ballache if you ever had to return it. Even if it costs a bit more to buy here, if you ever have an issue with it, you'd be able to sort it out so much easier.
Illusionary
Rep:
?
After shipping and taxes, I doubt it. Remember that the US price won't include sales tax, whereas the UK price includes VAT. There's also the issue of different power supplies and support.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NathanW18)
Once you have paid all of the import costs, probably not. It'd also be a ballache if you ever had to return it. Even if it costs a bit more to buy here, if you ever have an issue with it, you'd be able to sort it out so much easier.
After shipping and taxes, I doubt it. Remember that the US price won't include sales tax, whereas the UK price includes VAT. There's also the issue of different power supplies and support.
Good points. Well, I'll just stick to my pc!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The £350 figure will be the RRP, but since when were things actually sold for the RRP, except for at launch?
[Excluding cases of an "unnaturally" high demand, such as AMD GPUs at the height of GPU mining, or if there is a sudden drop in supply, such as with HDDs a few years back due to flooding]
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I probably won't get an Xbox One until I can get the console plus Sunset Overdrive or Quantum Break for £300 brand new.
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UK prices include VAT.

US prices exclude sales taxes.

US is cheaper, no doubt, but it's not as big of a disparity as it appears.
Mr Smurf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
UK prices include VAT.

US prices exclude sales taxes.

US is cheaper, no doubt, but it's not as big of a disparity as it appears.
I think you misunderstood. What I was saying is that since there are already Xbox Ones out there for £350 if you shop around online, you should be able to find a kinectless one for £300 not too far from now. Nothing to do with comparing US to UK prices.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's surprising seeing as how seriously they defended Kinect at E3 and said how essential it is with Xbone, as if it wouldn't even work without it :/

I hated the very idea of Xbone since the E3 announcement of always on DRM, no second hand games, kinect, etc. But I'm amazed they actually LISTENED to consumer feedback and changed it! I never expected that from Microsoft. All it takes is a swift kick to the :balls: sales from Sony
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads