The Student Room Group

Need help with confusion about clearing

Last year I achieved BCC in my A-Levels due to some family problems (not a good enough excuse I know) and am in the process of resitting this summer. I was rejected from St. Georges biomed course, but am wondering if I will still have a shot in clearing if I get ABB +? I have offers for Biomedical in Queen Marys (ABB firmed) and Birbeck (BB insurance) at the moment, is there anyway I can make this work?
There may be a chance, but there may be other reasons you were rejected, not just your grades. Did you get any feedback on why you were rejected?

However, if you get ABB on results day, your place at QMUL will become unconditional, and in order to get a place via clearing, you will have to be released from the place you hold. Equally, if you get into your insurance, you will have to be released from them. Results day is obviously a busy day for universities, so being released can take some time, normally 24-48 hours, but sometimes up to a week or more. Places go very quickly in clearing, and so you would be likely to miss out on a place on your first choice course and end up with nothing.

You can ask to be released from both your choices before results day, and enter clearing straight away. This would be a risk though, as the course you want might not even be in clearing, and may still reject you.

If, on results day, you get better grades and decide you want to apply to different universities, the best option may well be to take a year out and reapply.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
There may be a chance, but there may be other reasons you were rejected, not just your grades. Did you get any feedback on why you were rejected?

However, if you get ABB on results day, your place at QMUL will become unconditional, and in order to get a place via clearing, you will have to be released from the place you hold. Equally, if you get into your insurance, you will have to be released from them. Results day is obviously a busy day for universities, so being released can take some time, normally 24-48 hours, but sometimes up to a week or more. Places go very quickly in clearing, and so you would be likely to miss out on a place on your first choice course and end up with nothing.

You can ask to be released from both your choices before results day, and enter clearing straight away. This would be a risk though, as the course you want might not even be in clearing, and may still reject you.

If, on results day, you get better grades and decide you want to apply to different universities, the best option may well be to take a year out and reapply.

Could I ask Queen Mary to withdraw me now and firm Birbeck (BB) and then hopefully when I get ABB+ I can apply through adjustment? Biomed has been in clearing for St Georges past 2 years, and last year it was open for like 2 days so im pretty sure it'll be in clearing/adj again... do you think this is a better idea? Thanks for your help in advance.
Original post by Cellular_M
Could I ask Queen Mary to withdraw me now and firm Birbeck (BB) and then hopefully when I get ABB+ I can apply through adjustment? Biomed has been in clearing for St Georges past 2 years, and last year it was open for like 2 days so im pretty sure it'll be in clearing/adj again... do you think this is a better idea? Thanks for your help in advance.

Technically you could try this, but St George's have already rejected you once. This might have been because of your low A-level grades, but could have been because of your PS or other reasons.

Why are you so keen on St George's?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Technically you could try this, but St George's have already rejected you once. This might have been because of your low A-level grades, but could have been because of your PS or other reasons.

Why are you so keen on St George's?

Im pretty sure it was because of my grades as my PS was pretty strong (I got offers from the 4 other universities I applied to), but as I have explained im resitting and my circumstances are a lot better than last year so im confident in getting ABB+. Im keen on St Georges because it allows a transfer to 3rd year of Medicine after completing biomed, while the possibility is low it's a unique opportunity that only St Georges offers atm.
Im pretty sure it was because of my grades as my PS was pretty strong (I got offers from the 4 other universities I applied to), but as I have explained im resitting and my circumstances are a lot better than last year so im confident in getting ABB+. Im keen on St Georges because it allows a transfer to 3rd year of Medicine after completing biomed, while the possibility is low it's a unique opportunity that only St Georges offers atm.

As you admit, it's a high-risk strategy so it comes down to whether that is a good choice for you personally. If you are happy with Birkbeck if rolling the dice fails, then why not go for it? OTOH, if Birkbeck isn't what you want, the risk is greater...

This sounds like a really risky strategy. There is no guarentee St Georges will even have places available via clearing/adjustment. Also, unless you have asked for feedback, you can't know why they rejected you. The fact you got offers from 4 other universities doesn't neccessarily mean your PS was good- different universities put different levels of emphasis on the PS or might be looking for slightly different things. You should only do this if you would be 100% happy going to Birkbeck if things didn't work out as expected.

It sounds like you have your heart set on going to St Georges, but if you get the grades you need, I really think your best chance of getting a place will be to reapply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending