Oasis95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've finally got round to looking at higher education after failing to get in to uni last year! I've since been working in a care home for 7 months, and I enjoy it but want to try and build myself a career.

I'm starting to look at Social work as a degree, and am also looking at options of studying abroad. I'll be applying for Sept 2015 entry by which time I'll be 20. I came out of sixth form with BBC so have enough for some social work courses.

When entry requirements say "experience in a social care setting", does this mean specifically with social workers ie. shadowing them, or would my job as a carer be enough? Any advice appreciated.

Also, good luck to anyone who is doing their exams currently
milss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most likely not shadowing social workers as that's quite hard to get on to and not a realistic expectation for everyone to have. I think the experience you have would work in your favour, but maybe get a bit of experience in a nursery setting? Even if it's just volunteer work.
sophieleannexo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oasis95)
I've finally got round to looking at higher education after failing to get in to uni last year! I've since been working in a care home for 7 months, and I enjoy it but want to try and build myself a career.

I'm starting to look at Social work as a degree, and am also looking at options of studying abroad. I'll be applying for Sept 2015 entry by which time I'll be 20. I came out of sixth form with BBC so have enough for some social work courses.

When entry requirements say "experience in a social care setting", does this mean specifically with social workers ie. shadowing them, or would my job as a carer be enough? Any advice appreciated.

Also, good luck to anyone who is doing their exams currently
Hi, firstly social work is a great course but you need to be really passionate about it. Your experience as a carer in a care home would work well in your favour but you need more experience I'm afraid. You don't need to shadow social workers. You could get experience in a nursery, working with people with disabilities etc. I have a blog to help students wanting to go into social work - if you type in to Google "social work journey WordPress" then my blog should come up! I have a post on what experience you could get. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kj2013
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your experience working will be enough if you draw the right things from it. What have you learned? What have you seen that's good/bad? How did it make you feel? Is there anything you think that should change? Also, anything you have experienced in your personal life is just as relevant!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads