Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    from my understanding diabetes results in hyperglycemia, whether its due to autoimmune destruction of b cells of the pancreas or non responsive cell receptors (to insulin)

I dont, however,understand how the cell can produce ATP if glucose isnt entering cells to undergo glycolysis. i read its something to do wish fat/protein stores but I really dont understand how?

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done A level biology/eq (yet), but as a diabetic I know this much:

You are correct, the cells cannot use glucose in the blood stream without insulin.

If the body is unable to use glucose then it breaks down energy stores, however, this process produces ketones (toxic) so potentially causing the condition known as ketoacidosis, symptoms including entering a coma and even death.

Hope this is of some help :/

ReputationRep:
    Insulin up-regulates the amount of glucose receptors (GLUT-X) which are expressed on the cell membrane, there is always a basal number so glucose is always taken up but just not that much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by smileitsfree)
    I dont, however,understand how the cell can produce ATP if glucose isnt entering cells to undergo glycolysis.
    Well yes you're right. Without any insulin you die quickly because of this!

ReputationRep:
    Often there is a shift to fat metabolism and production of ketones in uncontrolled diabetes - which is what can result in ketoacidosis
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by smileitsfree)

I dont, however,understand how the cell can produce ATP if glucose isnt entering cells to undergo glycolysis. i read its something to do wish fat/protein stores but I really dont understand how?

thank you
    There are alternate protein and fat stores in your body. One example of the protein store would be the plasma proteins in your blood. These can be taken up by special cells,a nd broken down to liberate free amino acids and energy. Fats can also be metabolized to produce ATP and energy.

If you are at AS level, you don't really need to know how. However, if you need to understand it in detail, it would be just as well to try to understand teh basic principles of protein and lipid metabolism. Here are some animations to get you started:
    http://www.wiley.com/college/grosven...a/frameset.htm
    http://www.wiley.com/college/grosven...a/frameset.htm

I hope that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2014

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.