Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure if I want to go to university. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Over the past two years of college, I've had a massive attendance problem, right now its 42%. I am losing motivation for college, I haven't been in 7 weeks and I am now behind on my coursework, I will be able to finish this by the end of the year.

I have a conditional offer for Computer Networks & Security, and I am studying Computing now.

The problem is I don't think I would make it through, so now I'm having second thoughts, any advice?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by michael12)
    Hi,

Over the past two years of college, I've had a massive attendance problem, right now its 42%. I am losing motivation for college, I haven't been in 7 weeks and I am now behind on my coursework, I will be able to finish this by the end of the year.

I have a conditional offer for Computer Networks & Security, and I am studying Computing now.

The problem is I don't think I would make it through, so now I'm having second thoughts, any advice?
    Why are you losing motivation? Is it because you don't like learning? Or is your subject boring? It's really up to you to find out what the problem is and to do something about it.

If you can't be bothered to learn or dislike computing in general, then you will only fail uni (assuming you'd get in, in the first place, because if you attendance is poor you wont get the grades).

ReputationRep:
    I understand that non attendance could be the result of unavoidable circumstances, (which you can always try the course again if it is something you are really passion about) but you could be feeling unmotivated because it doesn't matter to you.I empathize with parents pushing certain career paths on you, but what they say is most of the time isn't right this is your life and there is so many options out there, If you are in college I suspect you are quite bright.

you can't motivate yourself to do something,if it doesn't mean anything to you, the reason we something makes us feel anxious,sad or happy is because we find it to be important, you just have to find what that is.

ReputationRep:
    Give it up fot someone else, or defer so that you can sort yourself out. Is there a reason why your motivation has become hindred? You need to think about this. 7 weeks is a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take a year out, have a hard think about what you want, and you can reapply next year if you decide a degree is for you.

ReputationRep:
    42% attendance is terrible. I've managed to keep above 99% in every year for 3 years, 100% first year, 99.5% in second, and 99.8%/99.9% this year. (Should of been 100% all years but network error caused it not to register me on 2 days hence the drop in attendance)
    You should take a year out to see if further education is really for you, because if it isn't your degree is going to suffer and you'll end up with a third or something.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm going to finish this year of college and see if I can defer university until next year, if I decided I didn't want to go next year, would I be able to withdraw my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    99.8%/99.9% this year. (Should of been 100% all years but network error caused it not to register me on 2 days hence the drop in attendance)
    There are 1000-2000 days in your uni year? Strong

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.