The Student Room Group

STEP s,s preparation

Hi, I am in Year 11 currently. I have studied a vast amount of A Level Maths Work (A2 as well) and instead of learning any more before sixth form, I would like to start preparing for STEP papers in Maths. How would you suggest I prepare if I have the intention of getting S, S in the papers? Recommendations for papers to take?

Thanks, Sam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tridianprime
Hi, I am in Year 11 currently. I have studied a vast amount of A Level Maths Work (A2 as well) and instead of learning any more before sixth form, I would like to start preparing for STEP papers in Maths. How would you suggest I prepare if I have the intention of getting S, S in the papers? Recommendations for papers to take?

Thanks, Sam

Why are you wasting time dreaming about STEP when you don't possess the necessary basic qualifications for university entry? Shouldn't you be studying for your GCSE examinations?

Thanks, Sam

Start with a few Paper I.
Original post by brianeverit
Start with a few Paper I.

Really poor advice during GCSE season.
First concentrate on GCSEs.

Over summer practice some paper 2. You'll find that STEP is significantly harder that A Level maths, as questions are asked differently. Make sure you know basic maths, so modules C1-4 before you attempt the STEP papers.
Original post by Mr M
Really poor advice during GCSE season.

I did not mean he should start immediately. Obviously he should complete his GCSEs first.
Reply 6

Thanks, Sam

If you're taking GCSEs at the moment, focus on those so you don't muck up your chances through carelessness.

When you say you've "studied a vast amount of A level Maths" too, what do you mean exactly? Have you covered the entire A level syllabus to the point where you could confidently sit an A2 paper to an A* standard? If the answer to the last question is "no" then your next step (after GCSEs) is to get up to that standard of A level work first. STEP assumes that you have mastered the A level syllabus, so there's no point attacking STEP until your A level foundation is secure!
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
Why are you wasting time dreaming about STEP when you don't possess the necessary basic qualifications for university entry? Shouldn't you be studying for your GCSE examinations?

Because its important for mathematicians to develop problem solving skills as early as possible, and there is not much in either the GCSE or A-Level syllabus that relates to problem solving?

Because some people enjoy interesting problems for their own sake?

Because maybe he is talented at mathematics and isn't at a school which would do IMO prep, and this is the next best option?

Because most of GCSE/A Level mathematics is boring, and if someone has a deep interest in mathematics, then its natural that they want to seek out more interesting/challenging things?

I disagree with most of the above posters; if the OP is easily handling his course load and getting an A isn't a serious concern, then working on more interesting things can only help, and may be looked on favourable by university admissions. Rather than focusing on STEP I might be more tempted to try and get involved with organisations that do BMO prep/training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mathematical_Olympiad) but realistically any problem solving work is good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
Because its important for mathematicians to develop problem solving skills as early as possible, and there is not much in either the GCSE or A-Level syllabus that relates to problem solving?

Because some people enjoy interesting problems for their own sake?

Because maybe he is talented at mathematics and isn't at a school which would do IMO prep, and this is the next best option?

Because most of GCSE/A Level mathematics is boring, and if someone has a deep interest in mathematics, then its natural that they want to seek out more interesting/challenging things?

I disagree with most of the above posters; if the OP is easily handling his course load and getting an A isn't a serious concern, then working on more interesting things can only help, and may be looked on favourable by university admissions. Rather than focusing on STEP I might be more tempted to try and get involved with organisations that do BMO prep/training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mathematical_Olympiad) but realistically any problem solving work is good.

The OP was disappointed by his performance in his GCSE Geography examination this afternoon. He has other priorities.
Reply 9
Original post by davros

When you say you've "studied a vast amount of A level Maths" too, what do you mean exactly? Have you covered the entire A level syllabus to the point where you could confidently sit an A2 paper to an A* standard? If the answer to the last question is "no" then your next step (after GCSEs) is to get up to that standard of A level work first. STEP assumes that you have mastered the A level syllabus, so there's no point attacking STEP until your A level foundation is secure!

The fact that much of STEP does require things that are taught in A level is a concern, and one of the reasons why it may be better to look into Olympiad papers instead, from a purely problem solving perspective. You can see sample Junior Olympiad papers here for example: http://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/junior-mathematical-olympiad/ . Most of it is not based on specific A level material, its just general problem solving work.

Don't be discouraged if you cant do them, because they are a) quite hard, and b) require you to understand problem solving strategies which is something you can only really gain by practice (although books like Polya's - How to Solve it can also help)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
The OP was disappointed by his performance in his GCSE Geography examination this afternoon. He has other priorities.

:eek:

fair enough
Reply 11
Original post by poohat

Why do you say this? There's absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever - the vast majority of Uni students (even top ones) proceed at the normal pace until they're confident with A level material, and then increase their workload once they have an offer that requires STEP,

Original post by poohat

There's nothing wrong with seeking out more interesting / challenging things, but this doesn't have to be focused exclusively on exam performance - it can be far more rewarding to read outside the school syllabus about topics that have nothing to do with STEP.

Original post by poohat

I disagree with most of the above posters; if the OP is easily handling his course load and getting an A isn't a serious concern, then working on more interesting things can only help, and may be looked on favourable by university admissions.

It won't be looked on more favourably if the OP sacrifices performance in his other exams by spending excessive time on STEP. I'm not saying the OP will necessarily do this, but there was a guy who used to post on NRICH who went on incessantly about how exciting and challenging he found STEP questions compared to his 'boring' A level questions - he ended up with a B in A level maths and missed out on his first choice offer because he'd spent all his time wrestling with STEP questions!
Reply 12
Original post by poohat
:eek:

fair enough

He also made another post in which he claimed that he'd got a grade D in his ISA for triple sciences and was concerned about his overall grade!! :smile:
I would like to reply. I do not know if I have had a disappointing performance in gcse geography but what I meant is that I found the exam to be very unpleasant and not what I was expecting. That has little to do with my preparation as my teacher was telling us to focus on our case studies for volcanoes and earthquakes which weren't even in the paper. I would also like to add that I do work very hard on my current work.

As to developing problem solving skills, I do practise BMO problems and will be entering this year. I also enjoy competitive programming. However, I want to practise STEP. I am not saying do it full time or even a lot but just a bit every week to develop my skills over the coming years. I apologise for not specifying this in the original post. I also have no school mathematics to focus on at present as I did my GCSE mathematics 3 years ago and got an A which was disappointing at the time but there were also extenuating circumstances at that period of my exam which I would rather not disclose.

Again, I would like to emphasise that I am not intending to let it get in the way of other studies but just do some every week or so to slowly develop and I feel some assumptions were made here, greatly my own fault for not being more specific. With these new parameters, can anyone recommend a way for me to prepare for STEP that I can gradually practise over the upcoming period of time.
Agree with what others have said about concentrating on your GCSEs first, and also want to add that the syllabus for STEP III includes further maths A level too. After GCSEs, if you are already confident you could easily get an A* in Maths A Level (C1-4), have a go at some STEP I first and see how you find it. If not, wait until you start sixth form and learn a bit more of the A level syllabus, and try some again when you feel more comfortable. As someone already said you could try Maths Olympiad stuff too. By next summer you should probably be able to do a fair few questions from STEP I and some from STEP II :smile:

Also, some questions in STEP are statistics and mechanics so best to do these modules rather than decision ones when you get the choice in second year. Make sure you priorities mastering the A level maths and further maths syllabi as these will be the foundation for the STEP papers.

Lastly, don't stress too much about it now :smile:
Original post by davros
He also made another post in which he claimed that he'd got a grade D in his ISA for triple sciences and was concerned about his overall grade!! :smile:

Little can be done for that now and it was at a period of time where I was experiencing severe depression and was referred to CAMHS. I have discussed this with my SENCO leader and we have plans when it comes to the future. I would rather you did not mockingly throw that out when you nothing of the circumstances.

Please do not waste a minute more on this thread. You need to focus on your impending GCSE examinations. It is important that you achieve your potential in these qualifications so that you can move to the next phase in your education.
Reply 17
Little can be done for that now and it was at a period of time where I was experiencing severe depression and was referred to CAMHS. I have discussed this with my SENCO leader and we have plans when it comes to the future. I would rather you did not mockingly throw that out when you nothing of the circumstances.

I wasn't "mockingly" throwing anything out - you provided very little information about your background in your initial post, and hence I (and others) checked your post history just to make sure you weren't trolling (we do unfortunately get a few people like that each year who tell us they're doing STEP/BMO/OU degrees and 5 A levels simultaneously, even though their GCSE performance (based on previous posts) is appalling!)

The best advice I can give is in my original post - there isn't a magic formula for STEP, you just have to master the A level material first and then practise previous STEP papers to get used to the style etc.

What are your ultimate ambitions - university entry for maths or something different?
Original post by test_drive
Agree with what others have said about concentrating on your GCSEs first, and also want to add that the syllabus for STEP III includes further maths A level too. After GCSEs, if you are already confident you could easily get an A* in Maths A Level (C1-4), have a go at some STEP I first and see how you find it. If not, wait until you start sixth form and learn a bit more of the A level syllabus, and try some again when you feel more comfortable. As someone already said you could try Maths Olympiad stuff too. By next summer you should probably be able to do a fair few questions from STEP I and some from STEP II :smile:

Also, some questions in STEP are statistics and mechanics so best to do these modules rather than decision ones when you get the choice in second year. Make sure you priorities mastering the A level maths and further maths syllabi as these will be the foundation for the STEP papers.

Lastly, don't stress too much about it now :smile:

Thanks for your thought through response. I understand what you are saying and have no intention of diverting focus or applying stress. I have been told that some require Further Maths and I have completed FP1 and FP2 papers in the past with A and A* respectively. I hear what you say about statistics and mechanics so will not learn any of those until we do in sixth form. Thanks.

P.s. When doing C1-C4 I get top grades normally.
Original post by davros
I wasn't "mockingly" throwing anything out - you provided very little information about your background in your initial post, and hence I (and others) checked your post history just to make sure you weren't trolling (we do unfortunately get a few people like that each year who tell us they're doing STEP/BMO/OU degrees and 5 A levels simultaneously, even though their GCSE performance (based on previous posts) is appalling!)

The best advice I can give is in my original post - there isn't a magic formula for STEP, you just have to master the A level material first and then practise previous STEP papers to get used to the style etc.

What are your ultimate ambitions - university entry for maths or something different?

My goal is to go to a top Uni to study Mathematics such as Cambridge or Imperial hence I want to get ahead with STEP preparation. I apologise for not including details in my post and will refrain from doing so in the future. If you all think I really should focus on my GCSEs then I completely agree and will but I will be wanting to carry on pursuing STEP in the Summer so this thread has been useful either way. Thank you all

Quick Reply

Latest