Stuck with CRIMINAL LAW, is this transferred malice?!?

Watch
xmichaeela
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,
I'm completely stuck on my criminal law assignment, basically the question is based on ASSAULT.
An incident has happened where A has slapped B who is intoxicated, he's fallen and broke his glasses and a piece has gone into A's eye leaving her permanently blind.
Is this transferred malice? If not could anyone direct me in the right direction please?
Any help in advance is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!:confused:
liarpoker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not transferred malice, where's the third party?

It's possibly assault occasioning X harm
Blackacre
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
Surely blinding is GBH? Possibly also an argument for wounding since the glass pierced the eye, but I'm not sure if it'd count because it isn't "skin".

(Original post by liarpoker)
It's not transferred malice, where's the third party?

It's possibly assault occasioning X harm
liarpoker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Blackacre)
Surely blinding is GBH? Possibly also an argument for wounding since the glass pierced the eye, but I'm not sure if it'd count because it isn't "skin".
Yeah I'd have thought so. I wasn't too sure, so didn't want to misled OP.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How would it be transferred malice? You'd be prosecuting the woman for blinding herself...
Cutmeloose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
How would it be transferred malice? You'd be prosecuting the woman for blinding herself...
One of the worst problem question I've seen lol.
Theflyingbarney
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cutmeloose)
One of the worst problem question I've seen lol.
Yeah, I suspect the OP must have copied it wrongly, e.g. if the glass went into B's eye you'd have a causation issue, or if it went into the eye of a third person you could throw transferred malice into the mix as well. As it is though it's just an obvious case of battery, and then karma.
xmichaeela
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks so much guys.
I didn't think it was transferred malice, I know that A is liable for battery on B but wasn't sure about the glass in eye issue.
I'm just guna kinda ignore that and say he can't be liable I think... Because it seems a simple karma issue haha!
If the glass went into B's eye then A would ofc be liable of gbh or abh, but it went into her own eye. I think they're trying to catch us out as many of the class are talking about transferred malice and I didn't think it was because there's no third party for the intent to transfer over to.
Thanks for all your help guys!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed