This discussion is closed.
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
:-)

Hi all

I have offers from Imperial (Computer Science with Maths), Manchester and Warwick (for Computer Science). Imperial is definatly my first choice, so I'm going to put that down as a Firm Accpetance. I have to choose between Manchester and Warwick for my insurance offer. The courses seem pretty equal, can anyone at either university say what life is like?

I know one person at Warwick doing CompSci, from talking to him it seems Warwick is quite 'geeky', though that might be biased. How does Manchester compare?

(-: Thanks :-)
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chaoscomplex)

Hi all

I have offers from Imperial (Computer Science with Maths), Manchester and Warwick (for Computer Science). Imperial is definatly my first choice, so I'm going to put that down as a Firm Accpetance. I have to choose between Manchester and Warwick for my insurance offer. The courses seem pretty equal, can anyone at either university say what life is like?

I know one person at Warwick doing CompSci, from talking to him it seems Warwick is quite 'geeky', though that might be biased. How does Manchester compare?

either warwick or manchesters fine - i was very impressed by warwicks open da tho
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chaoscomplex)

Hi all

I would say Warwick is better than Manchester.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just don't forget the worlds first programmable computer was programmed invented at Manchester University in 1948 not to mention it has one of the best employabity records of any university.

1. Cambridge
2. UMIST
3. can't remember
4. Manchester

and given that UMIST and Manchester are merging you are almost guarenteed a good job if you get a 2:1 or higher.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/display...,13394,00.html

u checked this? warwick 4th manchester 13th
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just don't forget the worlds first programmable computer was programmed invented at Manchester University in 1948 not to mention it has one of the best employabity records of any university.

1. Cambridge
2. UMIST
3. can't remember
4. Manchester

and given that UMIST and Manchester are merging you are almost guarenteed a good job if you get a 2:1 or higher.
Very good point, I forgot about the employability record and the merger. Manchester is certainly starting to become an elite uni.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/display...,13394,00.html

u checked this? warwick 4th manchester 13th
The subject tables mean nothing by the way. They are always random and wrong. Only the overall uni tables mean something.

If you cross-reference the Times uni league table (by subject), to that of the guardian's, the differences are immense.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
The subject tables mean nothing by the way. They are always random and wrong. Only the overall uni tables mean something.

If you cross-reference the Times uni league table (by subject), to that of the guardian's, the differences are immense.
you have a point.. employer'stable is very strange as well :eek:
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
you have a point.. employer'stable is very strange as well :eek:
Yes, it is only the overall, proper university table that is established and is consistent. Hence, there is quite a lot of emphasis placed on this when deciding which uni to go to - All the papers have pretty much the same rankings for the unis, which means that people know that the list is pretty accurate as there is consistency across the different versions. i.e.) Guardian and Times overall uni league table is virtually the same.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think Manchester's only weak spot from what I can tell is they do have a few courses which are probably deemed mickey mouse, such as fashion design. This may reflect badly in the league tables because these courses have lower employment rates, higher drop out, and lower entry grades.

Where as places like Warick are smaller so probably won't.
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Yes, it is only the overall, proper university table that is established and is consistent. Hence, there is quite a lot of emphasis placed on this when deciding which uni to go to - All the papers have pretty much the same rankings for the unis, which means that people know that the list is pretty accurate as there is consistency across the different versions. i.e.) Guardian and Times overall uni league table is virtually the same.

Ive got an overall Times ranking but can only seem to find subject rankings from the Guardian, dya happen to have a link for overall rankings from the Guardian?
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh and why in the world does "The Times" and "Sunday Times" have a different league table?
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
Go to Manchester! Fantastic city! I have a friend doing Comp. Sci. there. It's a great uni, I seriously considered it myself.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
Ive got an overall Times ranking but can only seem to find subject rankings from the Guardian, dya happen to have a link for overall rankings from the Guardian?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education.../unibigpic.jpg

That has the overall rankings from all the different tables... useful for comparisons.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
wheres pencilqueen when you need her, i cant remember where the post with all the links are.and i couldnt find it ..anyone?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
If you want a job in the industry then Manchester has a very strong reputation among big name computing employers. Warwick graduates tend to end up in the finance sector and areas not directly related to computing.

My personal choice would be Manchester (they are my comp sci insurance too) because they have a strong tradition of excellence in computing. They were the first computing department in the UK and many still consider them to be the best in terms of course relevance (comparable to the likes of Imperial and Edin). They have also been at the cutting edge of the industry in terms of research, things like spooling, pipelining, mobile processing and the execution of the worlds first stored program are all parts of thier tradition. If you wish to go on to do a post grad then Manchester would be the ideal insurance because of thier 5* department making funding easier to come by.

Based on none-academic factors, I would again have to go with Manchester. The city is great for students and has a vibrant atmosphere plus a great nightlife. Warwick on the other hand is quite isolated and whilst there are cities near by (i.e. Coventry), you will still be looking to the student union for organising a lot of your nightlife.

As you can tell I am totally biased towards Manchester because I love computing for computing sake and still consider the traditional computing uni's (i.e. IC, Edin and Manc) to be the best. After visiting Warwick I felt that they had a very good department and course but the uni itself seemed a little soul-less to me (same impression I got from York). This is only my opinion though and you should try and make up your own mind before you make a decision.
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
Sunday Times
Times
Telegraph
Telegraph table of tables
Guardian
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nice one leekey
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
Just a final thought on using the league tables for Comp Sci though. You should remember that many of the statistics that the league tables are based on are very old for Comp Sci!!! The individual course TQA ratings for it are so old that the Time considers them to obsolete and has since (wisely) discounted them. The next research assemsement will take place in 2006 (I think, PQ will know) so it is a good idea to make sure that you select the uni that you feel will be "on the up" during this time.

For me this meant picking Notts in place of Manchester. I did this on the basis that peripherals of comp sci (e.g. maths) are rated very well and therefore I would expect a correlation between them. In addition to this they have the brand spanking new campus with purpose built comp sci centre which should ensure a good spending rating (= good for Times rating).

Im not trying to say ignore the statistics, but try and be aware of how misleading they can be (particularly the old ones)!!!
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just don't forget the worlds first programmable computer was programmed invented at Manchester University in 1948
Yeah, as our lecturer for the unit so dearly loves to point out. She told us to pay particular attention to the wording though, for the first stored computer program was done in America; but whatever, all it equates to is a question on the exam paper .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (118)
19.7%
Labour (302)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (79)
13.19%
Green Party (30)
5.01%
Brexit Party (7)
1.17%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.5%
SNP (13)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)