The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 20/05/2014

Scroll to see replies

‘The advantages of a codified constitution now outweigh its disadvantages’. Discuss Jan 2010

What examples can i include for this??
Original post by gonnafail17
Oh my flip!!!!!!!

Has anyone else just lost all motivation and kind of stopped revising this half term? I deffo did....

I think I'm going to have to just learn 3... I've done The Constitution and im going to do PM & Cabinet but I dont know whether to do judiciary or parliament????? Which one has less to cover and is more achievable to learn in about 2 days lol....

Cramming is going to be so intense.

Also does anyone have any revision techniques that will prove to be useful...

I've just started revising now.. I have work all day on saturday and sunday so have 2 days to cram, only going to revise 2 units and pray the question gods at edexcel are kind to me :frown:
‘The advantages of a codified constitution now outweigh its disadvantages’. Discuss Jan 2010

What examples can i include for this??

Well it's important to look at the word "now"... Perhaps use the growing desire for a greater emphasis on human rights (a British bill of rights might be beneficial), providing clarity for citizens who due to the unconcreted constitution have a disillusionment with politics (causing low turnout perhaps), it creates a strong judiciary which may be effective as they're neutral and impartial- reducing the likeliness of an elective dictatorship; therefore acts like the 2001 anti-terrorism measures would be unlikely to be introduced, and it safeguards the constitution as the flexibility of uncodified can be damaging as any gov can abolish/make/amend laws (eg when labour tried to implement ID cards many people voluntarily payed £30... Con gov of 2010 abolished within 100 days and Theresa May said there would be no refund but rather they act as memorabilia to the public)

However for the disadvantages you could talk about: flexibility being important for a changing society (eg the unelected hol could be reformed easily), parliamentary sovereignty would be abolished- which is essential for representative democracy in the UK, it creates judicial tyranny (as opposed to authority being vested in the hoc whereby changes happen due to democratic pressure) codified would mean changes happen due to senior judges beliefs that changes need to be made and they are socially unrepresentative therefore this may lead to democratic deficit.

I hope this helps!! :smile:)
Original post by lizmoo
I know!! I think I am going to teach my self PM and Cabinet, just to be on the safe side
:smile:

Hmmm are you sure you have time to be able to learn it from scratch? Think you might be better of learning the two you know VERY well, just an opinion
Oh my flip!!!!!!!

Has anyone else just lost all motivation and kind of stopped revising this half term? I deffo did....

I think I'm going to have to just learn 3... I've done The Constitution and im going to do PM & Cabinet but I dont know whether to do judiciary or parliament????? Which one has less to cover and is more achievable to learn in about 2 days lol....

I certainly have! Luckily my class notes aren't too bad so I'm reading over them.

I'm still going to revise all 4 though - probably won't be in detail but oh well.

Hmm, I would say judiciary has less content but parliament is easier in the exam
Anybody want to do a group chat on Skype to revise? / maybe today around 3?
Original post by Olympiad
Anybody want to do a group chat on Skype to revise? / maybe today around 3?

that's a great idea? how does one even group chat....:confused:
Original post by Missgeehughes
that's a great idea? how does one even group chat....:confused:

Send me your Skype name?
does the executive have an influence in the House of Lords, or are they completely independent?

also, does anyone know when party whips were used successfully to push through legislation? the only one i can think of are failed ones..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Username13
anyone?

The PM approves peerages but other than that they're independent I think
Oh my flip!!!!!!!

this is so me it's not even funny...i'd suggest doing parliament. judiciary is slightly shorter I think, but parliament is the easier topic and so you can cover everything more quickly.
Reply 590
has collective responsibility been weakened or has it become stronger under the coalition?
Can anyone give a few examples of PMs prerogative powers and when they have been exercised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Piledriver
Can anyone give a few examples of PMs prerogative powers and when they have been exercised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Commander in chief of the armed forces? Exercised by Tony Blair in the Iraq war
anybody finding this hard
did anyone do the question "Assess the strengths of Representative Democracy? on the 20/05??
I think I may have mucked it up, I wrote around 6 or 7 pages on basically its strengths and minimal stuff about its weaknesses...

I thought it was a one sided debate, I knew all the weaknesses stuff, which is so annoying.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how many marks they would take off for that, because the essay was full of everything else.

Thanks, hope you can help...
Reply 595
Original post by bilalakkouche
did anyone do the question "Assess the strengths of Representative Democracy? on the 20/05??
I think I may have mucked it up, I wrote around 6 or 7 pages on basically its strengths and minimal stuff about its weaknesses...

I thought it was a one sided debate, I knew all the weaknesses stuff, which is so annoying.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how many marks they would take off for that, because the essay was full of everything else.

Thanks, hope you can help...

Yea i did that one, was a pretty nice and smooth question <3. Anyway, im not too sure but theres like 9 AO2 marks which is basically the analysing points, such as advantage and disadvantages, so you might score low here. But as long as your content marks are high and your spelling, grammar, punctuation is good, you can still get a good score!

Lets pray for low grade boundaries this year.
Original post by Shaqk
Yea i did that one, was a pretty nice and smooth question <3. Anyway, im not too sure but theres like 9 AO2 marks which is basically the analysing points, such as advantage and disadvantages, so you might score low here. But as long as your content marks are high and your spelling, grammar, punctuation is good, you can still get a good score!

Lets pray for low grade boundaries this year.

i fell into this trap

i hardly wrote about its disadvantages
To what extent does the UK effectively have a federal constitution?

What would be 3 points for and 3 against for this??
Reply 598
Original post by xxvine
i fell into this trap

i hardly wrote about its disadvantages

Your teacher should of told you when examiners use words like

'Discuss' and 'Asses' and 'Evaluate' it means it wants to hear both sides on the story. Now you know for unit 2 though, no biggie if you didn't want an A grade.
Original post by Shaqk
Your teacher should of told you when examiners use words like

'Discuss' and 'Asses' and 'Evaluate' it means it wants to hear both sides on the story. Now you know for unit 2 though, no biggie if you didn't want an A grade.

huh who doenst want an a grade lol?

yeah my teacher did say that but somehow got caught up in the moment

for the 2nd 25 marker i did look at the negatives

Quick Reply