The Student Room Group

Why did so many people miss the last questions on AQA B2 (Biology)?

At the very start of every exam, I read through the entire paper, cover to cover. Even when I see 'END OF QUESTIONS.' I still turn the page, if there is one. I make sure that I check absolutely everything, so that I know exactly how much I have to do.

After todays Biology exam, I walked out feeling quite confident. I was happy with both of the topics of the 6 mark questions, and apart from the question on why root cells need the air to survive, I felt like I might get a good grade.

Everybody in my school seemed okay with it, too, apart from the odd silly post-exam realisation moments, when you think about what was difficult to work out then, but so obvious now. I didn't hear a single person mention that they'd missed a question, and nobody appeared confused.

Then, I got home and logged onto TSR. To my surprise, the majority of students who had taken the B2 exam seemed to have missed the last questions. There were countless posts explaining how they 'had not seen it' or that they were 'confused by AQA's new layout'.

I find it strange that so many people missed it, as I am confused at how people could have missed a double page spread with questions on it so easily. It is bizarre that this is such a common occurrence, too, as it is not just the occasional person (which would be expected).

I am now sat here wondering why people missed it.
Was it the new layout?
Did they not check for the 'END OF QUESTIONS.' line, which always appears on AQA's papers?
Did they run out of time, and therefore, in a rush, not find the page?
Was this set of questions just an illusion, only found by those who checked every page? It seems like it at least :wink:
Or was it something else (possibly very obvious) that I'm missing?

For those wondering if the marks will be ignored during marking and mark schemes, why would they?
It is not an error on AQA's side, and they cannot allow marks to be given for sympathy, purely to students who didn't check for more questions, can they?

For those of us that did do it, be happy that the mark schemes might be lower, and that might get you into the next grade!

To those who missed it, I'm sure you'll still do fine. If you did really well on the other questions you could still be over 15 marks higher than last years A* boundary! Think of it that way :smile:

So, discuss - what made you miss it?

And also, best of luck for everyone doing Chemistry on Thursday! :smile:
It's because some people are just forget to employ basic common sense
They can afford to though; grade boundaries are always ridiculously low.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lana_Banana

They can afford to though; grade boundaries are always ridiculously low.

I agree. I fail to see why GCSEs are being made harder when the grade boundaries are really the thing to blame.

Harder exams = lower grade boundaries = more students with top grades.

Where's the logic?
Yep, grade boundaries which span over 20 marks sometimes are just way too low.
Like 75% in thinks like Geography exams dies not deserve sn A* - should be in the high 80s - people who get 90%+ deserve more credit than people who scraped an A* with just scores in the 70s.
I think the changes in this year's exams have been for the better this year, but what's the use if grade boundaries are still way too low?
Coz I'm an idiot -_-

Oh well, at least it's not going to happen again now, onwards and upwards :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It's because there was a blank page before the double page spread so I guess people just assumed it was the end? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlottejyp
It's because there was a blank page before the double page spread so I guess people just assumed it was the end? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't even an assumption, I didn't see it each time I flipped over to the back :/
Reply 7
Original post by thechemistress
It wasn't even an assumption, I didn't see it each time I flipped over to the back :/

It's so strange...
Original post by Caitlin_3008
It's so strange...

Yeah :/ It's not a case of me being lazy because I went over the paper several times. I just never saw the last question :/

Original post by AlphaNick
IDK, but I know that there are always 7 questions in the science papers... so if I finish with like 6) c) iii) I would be like wait I've missed something.

Yeah, I did wonder why the paper was so short. And I should have checked the front of the paper too to look at the question numbers :/
Original post by AlphaNick
don't worry, I think Unit 3 will have very low grade boundaries considering people on TSR found it so difficult... so that could compensate. Also bare in mind that you've got your ISA and a whole other (easier) exam in June.

Yeah, you're right. Hoping grade boundaries will be low xD And I'm going to ace that B1 exam, or at least try as hard as I can to.
Reply 10
What was the question that people missed out? im getting worried now
Reply 11
Original post by Ibs1997
What was the question that people missed out? im getting worried now

A couple of questions on shrimp and a 6 marker on Speciation.
Reply 12
What was the last question?
Reply 13
Original post by oneabdi
What was the last question?

Read the post above you :lol:
Reply 14
Is it weird that one of my friends missed the last question on the B3 paper?

Doesn't seem like anyone else has! xD
Original post by BillyLevin
Is it weird that one of my friends missed the last question on the B3 paper?

Doesn't seem like anyone else has! xD

Is this friend you by any chance? :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Olympiad
Is this friend you by any chance? :tongue:

Nope xD

I'm super careful/paranoid about these things, so I'm always quadruple checking.

He felt silly though as he told me he'd been sitting there for 15 minutes thinking he was finished and then only realised he'd missed questions with about 30 seconds to spare.

Quick Reply

Latest