do you reflux or distill

and why?

Ta
username1398367
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is this one of those silly synthesis questions?

if so, how about just going halogenoalkane -> alcohol -> aliens

If not, I can't help..!
Zaros
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is very difficult to answer as it depends on what type of halogenoalkane you're looking at. If it's symmetrical then you use Sodium Hydroxide and this will reduce the halogenoalkane giving water and the alkene. If it's not symmetrical it's the same Sodium Hydroxide but you have a possibility of two answers depending on where the Hydrogen is removed. To answer the question this is neither reflux nor is it distillation, it is elimination.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dire wolf)
is this one of those silly synthesis questions?

if so, how about just going halogenoalkane -> alcohol -> aliens

If not, I can't help..!
Should I panic?

INVASION!!!
TheGreaterGood
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Should I panic?

INVASION!!!
joker ! :rofl:
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zaros)
This is very difficult to answer as it depends on what type of halogenoalkane you're looking at. If it's symmetrical then you use Sodium Hydroxide and this will reduce the halogenoalkane giving water and the alkene. If it's not symmetrical it's the same Sodium Hydroxide but you have a possibility of two answers depending on where the Hydrogen is removed. To answer the question this is neither reflux nor is it distillation, it is elimination.
Pls explain how you're linking symmetry in the molecule with the need for to heaitng to get the elimination reaction going?
Zaros
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JMaydom)
Pls explain how you're linking symmetry in the molecule with the need for to heaitng to get the elimination reaction going?
I wasn't. In a simple molecule like 2 - bromopropane heating is irrelevant for the reaction at AS level standards at least.
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zaros)
I wasn't. In a simple molecule like 2 - bromopropane heating is irrelevant for the reaction at AS level standards at least.
Being simple and symmetrical aren't the same thing
Zaros
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JMaydom)
Being simple and symmetrical aren't the same thing
I know they aren't. I was using simple as defined as easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty. Not in the chemical terms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.88%
No (47)
69.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise