This discussion is closed.
superman663j7
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm putting this one up because of the other thread I put up about marrage, What is love to you guys? is it a feeling, somthing you show or is it just saying "I love you" I'm just curious what you guys think it is thanks
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what kind of love?
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superman663j7)
I'm putting this one up because of the other thread I put up about marrage, What is love to you guys? is it a feeling, somthing you show or is it just saying "I love you" I'm just curious what you guys think it is thanks
According to Ambrose Bierce, love is a temporary outbreak of madness cured by marriage.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There was another thread with the same title earlier so I will put down what I said then.

The most wonderful thing in the world when you are with a person you are in love with. When you are with that person you feel whole you feel alive and you can talk for hours on end.
Love is also the worst think in the world when you loose that person. When they walk out of your life forever you fall apart and the pain is unbearable.
Love can be good and bad depending on the situation but it is deffinately right
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
There was another thread with the same title earlier so I will put down what I said then.

The most wonderful thing in the world when you are with a person you are in love with. When you are with that person you feel whole you feel alive and you can talk for hours on end.
Love is also the worst think in the world when you loose that person. When they walk out of your life forever you fall apart and the pain is unbearable.
Love can be good and bad depending on the situation but it is deffinately right
yeah he made two, you are a bit of a romantic arent you!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yup I guess I am, I was a bit bitter for a while when I came out of a relationship of over two years but I am recovering my faith in love now.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yup I guess I am, I was a bit bitter for a while when I came out of a relationship of over two years but I am recovering my faith in love now.
You mean you didnt instantly go down to a club and pull? :eek:
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Love is a very powerfull emotion. Personally I don't think it will ever full leave you. When you loose someone you love you can never truely forget them and I don't think you will ever move on completely. But with each broken heart you learn to love again and you grow stonger.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Half biological fear of solitude (evolving into familial recognisablity with time), half lust.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Love is a very powerfull emotion. Personally I don't think it will ever full leave you. When you loose someone you love you can never truely forget them and I don't think you will ever move on completely. But with each broken heart you learn to love again and you grow stonger.
i dont necessary think you always grow stronger, but i can see it remaining a part of you.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Its not clear that fear can be biological is it? Surely its more of a biological instinct for bonding to create a family environment (which children can be brought up in in relative safety); not a fear of not having this.
Same difference. A biological inclination to spread oneself's gene pool about a bit (and then a desire to ensure that one's progeny isn't eaten by bears and whatnot).
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think love is more than just something biological. If it was just biological then it wouldn't bind someone to a person who was dieing because that wouldn't beneficial for the survival of the spiecies. There are lots of things that purely biology can't explane when it comes to love. Like why people stay in love after they have had their children and are old. Why people fall in love and don't intend to have children.
adrenaliner
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Loss Of Valuable Energy

May b i must B saying this coz I have not experience love before but there is
one gal in my college which sees me as "If I am angel for her"! but I do have some fellings for her but it's certainly not the "LOVE".

Adrenaliner
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The word can mean different things depending on the context. Common for all is however that it represents some feeling of friendship and affection.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In the words of the Darkness.

Love is only a Feeling.
operato
Report 15 years ago
I think love is more than just something biological. If it was just biological then it wouldn't bind someone to a person who was dieing because that wouldn't beneficial for the survival of the spiecies. There are lots of things that purely biology can't explane when it comes to love. Like why people stay in love after they have had their children and are old. Why people fall in love and don't intend to have children.
it was the man that created "civilised" love. if it was down to instinct and nature everyone would be sleeping around as much as possible. he wanted to prevent promiscuity in women but like that ever stopped them or guys in that case.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And also biology can't explain why someone would fall in love with someone they know they can't have, but love anyway. And someone would love another person so much that as long as the other person is happy, they are happy, even if that person doesn't love them.
Love is more than just a feeling, or lust. Love is what makes the world go round, what holds people together, what makes life worth living. It is the most beautiful thing in the world and can also be the saddest.

Heh, I'm so romantic :rolleyes:
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Love is blindness

Love is only a feeling

Love is all you need

Love is a long road

Love is the greatest thing and the most powerful
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It is not that simple. These arguments against evolution, and science are so common that you can almost always group them under one single type. It goes something like this:

"I cant understand how [something complicated] can be explained by science. Therefore science cant be all there is! "

The most common mistake people do is to oversimplify a scientific theory. With evolution every tiny difference can make a hueg difference in the long run. Also, remember that it is not the individuals themselves that involve, but the species as a whole. Love does not add much of a chance for teh survival of one individual, but when you have 6 billion people who go around with deep emotional feelings, this may add up to quite a lot for the species as a whole. Darwin himself did not fully understand this aspect of evolution, and there are still pieces we do not fully undertsand. However, these questions about how evolution could account for love and friendship has been answered.

Or, to put it in simple terms. Deep emotions have a large value of survival for our species because without them society would not function. Human species are clearly dependent on the function of our society, and that is why we care for each other.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Love is what makes the world go round, what holds people together, what makes life worth living.
Seems to me like you just explained how evolution could give rise to love.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (83)
33.6%
No I don't (116)
46.96%
I work during the holidays (48)
19.43%

Watched Threads