The Student Room Group

Why do mathmos hate calculators?

I get it that basic stuff needs to be known from the ground up and that mundane number crunching processes like long division are useful in studying algebra but what on earth is the point in teaching kids how to multiply 43492 by 323 on paper? It's like making textile students create an entire coat with just a hand loom. Fair enough to teach the basic principles of weaving on a little scarf or something but a whole coat? Really?
Reply 1
Original post by WGR
I get it that basic stuff needs to be known from the ground up and that mundane number crunching processes like long division are useful in studying algebra but what on earth is the point in teaching kids how to multiply 43492 by 323 on paper? It's like making textile students create an entire coat with just a hand loom. Fair enough to teach the basic principles of weaving on a little scarf or something but a whole coat? Really?

I think most math types would agree with you. I love my calculator, but sometimes you do learn better by doing things by hand. Does your exam board give you questions like 43492 X 323? Mine tends to give you shorter ones...

I think it would be fair to give a really long division sum on a non-calc paper so that people HAVE to prime factorise and cancel out factors. That would separate some people out...
Well from doing a maths degree (final year now) except for my serious numerical papers such as stats the use of a calculator just got less and less. I also started disliking my calculator as it felt like it was something that I could become dependent on and not understand why I do certain techniques. However, it does still have my uses especially if I'm under a very high time constraint such as numerical reasoning tests :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by lerjj
I think most math types would agree with you. I love my calculator, but sometimes you do learn better by doing things by hand. Does your exam board give you questions like 43492 X 323? Mine tends to give you shorter ones...

I think it would be fair to give a really long division sum on a non-calc paper so that people HAVE to prime factorise and cancel out factors. That would separate some people out...

We got some crazy multiplication like that on our C1 paper. Flopped the whole question because of it. I'm annoyed because I understood the mathematical concept perfectly (it was sequences and series). The human brain isn't perfect and can make dumb little errors even if it knows what it's doing, best to just do it on a calculator, they are widely available and never fail. You're going to laugh at me when I say for my C2 paper I did even the most basic sums such as 34-17 on my calculator but it's not because I couldn't do it in my head but rather that you're working against time and concentrating on getting your head around the puzzle, sometimes you slip up with the mundane number crunch.
Reply 4
Original post by Slowbro93
Well from doing a maths degree (final year now) except for my serious numerical papers such as stats the use of a calculator just got less and less. I also started disliking my calculator as it felt like it was something that I could become dependent on and not understand why I do certain techniques. However, it does still have my uses especially if I'm under a very high time constraint such as numerical reasoning tests :tongue:

Fair enough if you're doing a full maths degree, you have to get hands on with the numbers to really understand them, I'm talking at the more basic level. I think we shouldn't have to crunch any numbers that is bigger than triple digits by hand.
Original post by WGR
Fair enough if you're doing a full maths degree, you have to get hands on with the numbers to really understand them, I'm talking at the more basic level. I think we shouldn't have to crunch any numbers that is bigger than triple digits by hand.

True, however the reason why I can see the use at a more elementary level (going into education mode :tongue:) is because it gives the child a fundamental understanding as to how these methods work. I found that whilst having massive number crunching can be fairly pointless it does have its uses especially when you're trying to teach elements of algebra which when I was learning it I didn't have a computer to learn it :tongue: also depending on the numbers (non primes) I found it could he extended into things such as prime factorisation

Quick Reply

Latest