The Student Room Group

SCLY1 15th May 2014 and SCLY2 21th May 2014 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shubzk9
How can you not know about interactionism? It's an important topic in the education unit. It's a study on the relationship between teachers and pupils and factors such as labelling, self fulfilling prophecy, anti school subculture, setting, streaming, banding, etc.

If you don't know about interactionism then I suggest you study it properly as it is a likely topic which may come up as an essay question in the upcoming scly2 exam

I think that would be a nice question.
Apart from social policy does anyone have any other predictions? My teacher says he thinks that there'll be a question on one of the perspectives of the conflict/consensus theories.
How do you revise for Methods in Context? I find this section of the paper really hard.
Original post by shubzk9
How can you not know about interactionism? It's an important topic in the education unit. It's a study on the relationship between teachers and pupils and factors such as labelling, self fulfilling prophecy, anti school subculture, setting, streaming, banding, etc.

If you don't know about interactionism then I suggest you study it properly as it is a likely topic which may come up as an essay question in the upcoming scly2 exam

What is interactionalism??? OMG i haven't learnt this :frown:
Original post by Bunny2014
What is interactionalism??? OMG i haven't learnt this :frown:

Page 103-107 in the aqa sociology textbook
Original post by butterfly14567
Page 103-107 in the aqa sociology textbook

Thank you soooo much!!! Good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Any predictions for the 20 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
suggestions on what to revise for the research methods section?
Original post by Nadia L.
Any predictions for the 20 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Structured interviews

Ethical issues maybe??
Structured interviews

Ethical issues maybe??

Thanks for the predictions, what about for education? Any guesses? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the predictions, what about for education? Any guesses? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Education--- maybe ethnicity and under achievement, or boys achievement?
Education--- maybe ethnicity and under achievement, or boys achievement?

I hope! What makes you think it'll come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope! What makes you think it'll come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive been looking at the other past papers today and boys achievements hasn't come up at all so i thought it may come up on ours but then again i may be wrong :frown:
Ive been looking at the other past papers today and boys achievements hasn't come up at all so i thought it may come up on ours but then again i may be wrong :frown:

Good guess though! I really hope it does
I don't know what to think about unit 1 I'm not sure if I expanded on my points well enough and I feel like unit 2 is going to go badly :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good guess though! I really hope it does
I don't know what to think about unit 1 I'm not sure if I expanded on my points well enough and I feel like unit 2 is going to go badly :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww Nadia you will do brilliantly! have confidence in yourself! and i didn't like that exam too much either! Low grade boundaries will head our way hopefully! and thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 195
Not feeling confident at all about this exam! Feel as though I know nothing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
If anyone's struggling to answer the research method question its actually quite simple and iv'e (my teacher lol has) broken it down into two steps:

Step 1: Forget about the method you have chosen completely, for now. Come up with general issues regarding the context (these issues are usually practical ethical theoretical ones) The context is usually what the researcher is studying ie setting and streaming, but remember forget about how they are doing it!

Step 2: Does the method chosen improve the issues or does it make it worse

ie: one of the issues that arise with investigating setting and streaming is that access to the school may be difficult as consent is needed. However questionnaires help solve the problem of gaining access to the school because they can be just sent via post to the school.

Just repeat this through the essay also if the method makes the issue worse suggest other methods that may be better but dont write too much on it because the question is asking specifically to asses the use of your chosen method!
Original post by afzol96
If anyone's struggling to answer the research method question its actually quite simple and iv'e (my teacher lol has) broken it down into two steps:

Step 1: Forget about the method you have chosen completely, for now. Come up with general issues regarding the context (these issues are usually practical ethical theoretical ones) The context is usually what the researcher is studying ie setting and streaming, but remember forget about how they are doing it!

Step 2: Does the method chosen improve the issues or does it make it worse

ie: one of the issues that arise with investigating setting and streaming is that access to the school may be difficult as consent is needed. However questionnaires help solve the problem of gaining access to the school because they can be just sent via post to the school.

Just repeat this through the essay also if the method makes the issue worse suggest other methods that may be better but dont write too much on it because the question is asking specifically to asses the use of your chosen method!

No offense, but that is a very stupid way of answering that question. Good luck getting a D.
In the methods in Context section if it's to do with for example effects of streaming. do I have to explain streaming and how it comes about?
Original post by Elham___________
No offense, but that is a very stupid way of answering that question. Good luck getting a D.

How would you answer it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending