The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Brain25
Did anyone do the AD inflation/unemployment essay?

I did the first case study and the question 4, the AD inflation/unemployment essay. How did you find that question? I thought it was quite odd asking whether it was more likely to cause a greater increase in inflation compared to the reduction in unemployment... Quite an odd take on this part of the syllabus.
Reply 81
Original post by smithykj
I did the first case study and the question 4, the AD inflation/unemployment essay. How did you find that question? I thought it was quite odd asking whether it was more likely to cause a greater increase in inflation compared to the reduction in unemployment... Quite an odd take on this part of the syllabus.

Yeah I found it quite odd too...i started with the short run phillips curve and said how expansionary policies will increase inflation more than a reduction in unemployment. I evaluated it with supply side policies/increasing AD during mass unemployment won't lead to inflation etc. I don't know whether that's right though..what did you put?
Reply 82
I did the inflation/unemployment question and regretted it half way through picking it :/ Hopefully the essay was okay and grade boundaries will be really low! I thought section A was actually okay, I did the macro question and it wasn't too bad.
Reply 83
Was it just me or were both the case studies macro?
Reply 84
Original post by Brain25
Yeah I found it quite odd too...i started with the short run phillips curve and said how expansionary policies will increase inflation more than a reduction in unemployment. I evaluated it with supply side policies/increasing AD during mass unemployment won't lead to inflation etc. I don't know whether that's right though..what did you put?

I did standard AS/AD analysis explaining how there could be an increase in inflation and a reduction in unemployment. Then I drew the Phillips Curve, explained all that. I gave some reasons why there may be a greater increase in inflation than decrease unemployment after a sudden rise in AD, but I'm not sure if these were correct. I was thinking on my feet for those.

Evaluated with the expectations augmented Phillips Curve, saying that in the long run there may be no reduction in unemployment as the economy would return to the long run equilibrium unemployment level (natural rate of unemployment). Also, if there is a large amount of spare capacity in the economy, there may be a large reduction in unemployment after an increase in AD, but no increase in inflation.

I forgot to mention supply side policies in my evaluation, damn :\ I just hope I can pick some marks up somewhere in this.

I find EC4 such a hard paper compared to the other economics papers. From looking at mark schemes of the past papers, you can tell that the examiners sometimes want really out of the box thinking that really goes beyond the syllabus, and sometimes I find it hard to determine what the question is really asking. Fingers crossed though.
i found the AF inflation/unemployment question really tough, cause there was hardly anything to state on it, but i started off with the phillips curve, then i started going on about, why decreasing unemployment would lead to an increase in inflation, due to wage price spiral, and i stated the case that if the government hold unemployment below the NAIRU then the Phillips curve would shift vertically and talked about inflationary expectations.
then i went on another tangent, and was like talking about the stage of the economy are there output gaps, and like why increasing aggregate demand, would not necessarily increase inflation due to output gaps and spare capacity and blah

i immediately regretted my decision on choosing this essay, cause i felt like there wasn't exactly much to write on this :/
Original post by smithykj
I did standard AS/AD analysis explaining how there could be an increase in inflation and a reduction in unemployment. Then I drew the Phillips Curve, explained all that. I gave some reasons why there may be a greater increase in inflation than decrease unemployment after a sudden rise in AD, but I'm not sure if these were correct. I was thinking on my feet for those.

Evaluated with the expectations augmented Phillips Curve, saying that in the long run there may be no reduction in unemployment as the economy would return to the long run equilibrium unemployment level (natural rate of unemployment). Also, if there is a large amount of spare capacity in the economy, there may be a large reduction in unemployment after an increase in AD, but no increase in inflation.

I forgot to mention supply side policies in my evaluation, damn :\ I just hope I can pick some marks up somewhere in this.

I find EC4 such a hard paper compared to the other economics papers. From looking at mark schemes of the past papers, you can tell that the examiners sometimes want really out of the box thinking that really goes beyond the syllabus, and sometimes I find it hard to determine what the question is really asking. Fingers crossed though.

haha yeah i also forgot to put in supply side policies in my evalution as well.... damn... my evaluation was more like output gap, i sounded like a broken machine
Out of curiosity, what does it take to get an A* with this exam board? An A overall and 90% average on EC3/4?
Reply 88
Original post by POODESTROYER9000
Out of curiosity, what does it take to get an A* with this exam board? An A overall and 90% average on EC3/4?

A overall and above 90% in both EC3 and EC4 exams, not averaged out.
Original post by SS1996
I did those questions too, what were your main points for the development essay? The last 12 mark in the HS2 question was a bitch!

I wrote about protectionism and how tariffs, embargoes and quotas work and why they are introduced. I put forward the idea that tariffs are an obstacle for development as less exports are made and so less output and lower living standards are created as there are smaller incomes. I showed a tariff diagram to illustrate this. Then for evaluation I talked about corruption being a massive obstacle and then finally talked about how a lack of investment creates a lack of skilled workers to encourage fdi and so the countries never develop and produce below their resource level(ppf curve to show this).

what did you write? I thought I was off point for the whole thing and half way through I was contemplating starting another question but didn't in the end. do you think 2 graphs is enough to get atleast 16 marks?
I'm pretty sure that to get an A*, you need to get about 48-50/60 (although this does sometimes vary). Did anyone do the economic growth essay?
Reply 91
Original post by JohnRoberts96
I'm pretty sure that to get an A*, you need to get about 48-50/60 (although this does sometimes vary). Did anyone do the economic growth essay?

I did :smile: what did you write about in your evaluation? worried i didn't put enough in, wjec seem so picky with marks :frown:
Original post by kstyles
I did :smile: what did you write about in your evaluation? worried i didn't put enough in, wjec seem so picky with marks :frown:

I did, my conclusion focused on it depending on peoples responsiveness to the tax fall and the impact on Government finances also depended on this. Not really sure though :/

What were your main points for and against?
Reply 93
<I did, my conclusion focused on it depending on peoples responsiveness to the tax fall and the impact on Government finances also depended on this. Not really sure though :/

What were your main points for and against? >

just explained how falls in different types of taxation would result in increased consumption (AD) growth and employment levels which would boost confidence hence draw in fdi which could shift LRAS right, also would attract private investment if co-operation tax is low - shift LRAS, income tax low - more efficient workforce, increased productivity shift LRAS - think there was more but can't remember

Against: said how this was unsustainable in long run, showed how if investment doesn't occur i.e. AD shifts right but AS doesn't = large rise in inflation (positive output gap) - increase price of imports (bad for current account) also more people in world force, demand higher wages so unemployment could go back to NRU with expected inflation, increased government borrowing to fuel spending, lead to unsustainable PSNB umm talked about the crowding out effect of private investment, loss of government revenue to spend on capital and merit good which could increase potential growth, said there would be no revenue to fund externalities and said how that would lead to increased future social costs so no sustainable growth, could eventually lead to interest rates increasing which would slow consumption in long run, - think that was it :/
(edited 9 years ago)
I did the economic growth. I looked at all of them and was going to answer the inflation/unemployment one but I felt I could write more for economic growth.. however I still struggled to make as many points as I would have liked to
I said how reduced tax will increase standard of living and consumption. Therefore, profits can been invested in r+d which can increase competitiveness and can help to reduce unemployment and may control inflation because cost of fuel will fall. This was all linked into how lras shifts out. However, reducing taxes on demerit goods can cause negative externalities such as pollution, congestion etc. Economic growth also increases income inequalities as well as inflationary pressure
Original post by kstyles
<I did, my conclusion focused on it depending on peoples responsiveness to the tax fall and the impact on Government finances also depended on this. Not really sure though :/

What were your main points for and against? >

just explained how falls in different types of taxation would result in increased consumption (AD) growth and employment levels which would boost confidence hence draw in fdi which could shift LRAS right, also would attract private investment if co-operation tax is low - shift LRAS, income tax low - more efficient workforce, increased productivity shift LRAS - think there was more but can't remember

Against: said how this was unsustainable in long run, showed how if investment doesn't occur i.e. AD shifts right but AS doesn't = large rise in inflation (positive output gap) - increase price of imports (bad for current account) also more people in world force, demand higher wages so unemployment could go back to NRU with expected inflation, increased government borrowing to fuel spending, lead to unsustainable PSNB umm talked about the crowding out effect of private investment, loss of government revenue to spend on capital and merit good which could increase potential growth, said there would be no revenue to fund externalities and said how that would lead to increased future social costs so no sustainable growth, could eventually lead to interest rates increasing which would slow consumption in long run, - think that was it :/

That sounds really good!
For the tax question, did anyone else put an emphasis on the fact that it said 'tax reductions are the BEST way to increase lr growth'. So I put in a paragraph on potentially better alternatives like gov. spending on supply side factors.
Reply 98
For the tax question, did anyone else put an emphasis on the fact that it said 'tax reductions are the BEST way to increase lr growth'. So I put in a paragraph on potentially better alternatives like gov. spending on supply side factors.

I wrote about supply side policies briefly at the end :smile:

For the growth question, here is what I did.

Define taxation (indirect & direct = VAT/ad valorem or income tax/corp tax respectively)
Define 'long run' growth as potential growth.

Said it was part of an expansionary fiscal policy to help stimulate LRAS through higher investment because of low corp tax. Also slightly touched on how it could stimulate actual growth/AD.

For positive arguments: Attraction of FDI from low corp taxes, however this can be offset if low taxes cause unpredictable inflation, also depends on other factors such as competitiveness of workforce.

I then talked about the influence of brain drain. Less tax = higher high income workers and less emigration of high income workers, benefit of gvt revenue. Then I linked this in with laffer curve to suggest that falling government revenue if above optimal tax would also generate government revenue further.

For against: I expanded on the inflationary point and said if potential growth expanded slower than actual growth, it could cause inflation.

Talked a little bit about reducing the internalization of external costs, lower taxes on demerit goods brings output away from socially optimum. Since demerit goods are inelastic, reduction of taxes reduces government revenue.

Final argument was confidence levels and linked it to the fact that low taxes & interest rates during 2008 UK recession did not stimulate any growth, so depends on state of economy.

Then I talked about other policies, supply side, monetary/quantity easing, etc. Finally concluded that the government should decide upon reduction of taxes based on level of economic activity and state of the economy. Also said it would be unwise to use this policy if there is a fiscal budget defict.

The HS2 question could have been an EC2 paper and it wouldn't have looked about of place, they were all AS based questions. Also, lmao at the person who said there will always be one predominately micro question, ****ed us all over.

Latest

Trending

Trending