The Student Room Group

How can people be unemployed?

Just out of sheer boredom, I've been home from University for 1 day and I'm eager to start work. I just don't get how millions of people can sit on their arse all doing nothing to contribute towards society. Then have the nerve to moan they don't get the same opportunities as other.

Scroll to see replies

They were born with a silver spoon at the ready.
Original post by AMG44
Just out of sheer boredom, I've been home from University for 1 day and I'm eager to start work. I just don't get how millions of people can sit on their arse all doing nothing to contribute towards society. Then have the nerve to moan they don't get the same opportunities as other.

We live in a country with many more people of working age than there are jobs. It's all very well acting like it's their fault but for the vast majority it isn't.
Reply 3
More people looking for work than there are jobs. Doesn't take a genius to work that one out.
Reply 4
supply of labour exceeds demand for labour
There are not enough jobs, what you said isn't fair
Reply 6
Original post by AMG44

Noo the vast majority of unemployed young people are handing out CV after CV in hopes of getting a job on a saturated market in a country recovering from the international credit crunch
Reply 7
Original post by MidnightDream
There are not enough jobs, what you said isn't fair

I disagree, people don't try hard enough or are too picky. I used to live with a girl who thought she was too good/proud to take the bins out. it is fair and people will use there isn't any jobs as an excuse.

I live in a small town and have always found work or traveled to work.
I think people ITT are missing the point. OP clearly means that people who want to work are commendable whereas people who want to just be lazy 24/7 are scum. Why don't people ever give the honest grafter the recognition he/she deserves?
Original post by AMG44
I disagree, people don't try hard enough or are too picky. I used to live with a girl who thought she was too good/proud to take the bins out. it is fair and people will use there isn't any jobs as an excuse.

I've had countless job offers OP and most of them aren't even worth my time. Low contracted hours, low paid, ADHOC arrangements, jobs that would have me incur massive travel costs and all of this is for low paid unskilled work.

There's working hard, and there's working smart. I really hope you aren't just the mug I think you are OP.
Original post by Boltons Bastard
I've had countless job offers OP and most of them aren't even worth my time. Low contracted hours, low paid, ADHOC arrangements, jobs that would have me incur massive travel costs and all of this is for low paid unskilled work.

There's working hard, and there's working smart. I really hope you aren't just the mug I think you are OP.

Well...you can't complain there aren't any jobs then. You said yourself you've been offered jobs, you just think you're too good for them. Experience matters a lot.
Original post by AMG44

Um...that's a fact. You can't 'disagree' with a fact - it exists whether you like it or not. The latest ONS statistics show that there are 3.6 unemployed person for every job vacancy that exists. So even if every single one of these people applied for every single available vacancy, thousands of people would still be unemployed. There are simply not as many jobs as there are unemployed people.
Reply 13
I think people ITT are missing the point. OP clearly means that people who want to work are commendable whereas people who want to just be lazy 24/7 are scum. Why don't people ever give the honest grafter the recognition he/she deserves?

I'm stating people moaning there isn't jobs when there clearly is. Of course some of the job may be unfavourable in society or seen as inferior jobs. When I was younger I never took responsibility or thought I never got given the chance but people don't grasp is the concept of hard work.

Of course there is work out there which is completely unfeasible or down right silly to take that work.
Original post by Unconventional.
Um...that's a fact. You can't 'disagree' with a fact - it exists whether you like it or not. The latest ONS statistics show that there are 3.6 unemployed person for every job vacancy that exists. So even if every single one of these people applied for every single available vacancy, thousands of people would still be unemployed. There are simply not as many jobs as there are unemployed people.

Thank you. I also find it difficult to believe that many of the 2.5 million (or whatever it is now) aren't trying hard enough to find a job.
you cant understand the desire to sit on your butt all day? lol................ are you some kind of hybrid?
Original post by OU Student
Thank you. I also find it difficult to believe that many of the 2.5 million (or whatever it is now) aren't trying hard enough to find a job.

The demonisation of those out of work is a right-wing propaganda tool to deflect the general public from looking at the things that really matter and are really ruining our country such as self-serving politicians, greedy and unethical business leaders, patriarchy and other liberation issues, unregulated banking, the havoc caused by private companies' ownership of utilities....I could go on and on.

I have never been classified as a job-seeker as I've been in full-time education all the times that I've searched for a job. In fact now that I've thought of that, I realise that the ONS statistics are actually much smaller than the scale of the issue because it only counts people who are formally classed as 'unemployed' which excludes large swathes of the population such as those in full-time education or people who work part-time that are also all applying for jobs to fund their studies/supplement their poor part-time income. There are also issues with accessability to jobs. Right now I am job searching (whilst taking a short break out of my studies) but I am disabled which greatly reduces the amount of jobs that I can feasibly do, nevermind the potential of discrimination if I disclose that to jobs that I know I can do with a little bit of 'reasonable adjustment' as the law mandates the employer to do. How people can make such ignorant claims as OP without considering the vast numbers of people who are disabled, who have children that they wouldn't be able to afford childcare for whilst working etc is beyond me.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Well...you can't complain there aren't any jobs then. You said yourself you've been offered jobs, you just think you're too good for them. Experience matters a lot.

The complaint is more regarding how **** the jobs are.

And I'm not really talking about being "too good" or "experience"; but that there some things that are worth taking the time for and also many things that aren't. It's about what you get back for your efforts.
The complaint is more regarding how **** the jobs are.

And I'm not really talking about being "too good" or "experience"; but that there some things that are worth taking the time for and also many things that aren't. It's about what you get back for your efforts.

So is it not better to take the **** job in the meantime instead of waiting for something to present itself to you?
In 99.9% of cases, if you want a job you will get one, if you genuinely have spent weeks looking for a job and you are "open to anything" and have failed, you are more likely than not, unemployable.

Due to a change in my families circumstances I had to get a job, so I did. It wasn't my dream job, or a job I went to university to go to, but I got one.

Managing expectations is the issue, not the job market.

Cue 100 outraged graduates claiming that they have been unemployed for 50 years despite applying for 300,000 jobs a day, all of which pay over £50,000 in a very specific area. .
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest