The Student Room Group

Environmental studies exam - 14th May 2014

For anyone who has done the environmental paper on the 14th, how did you find it and what did you put for the river question?!

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was ok, except for the river question which i found difficult
It was mostly okay, some challenging questions though, the one talking about unexploited species as a food source??? For the river q i talked about removal of litter, landscaping, habitat/food provision.. I found that one really difficult ugh
Yeah the river question was a bit strange, but the paper was alright, the coral 8 marker question was a gift ^^

To be honest I think the hardest part of the paper was spelling that species of molusc or w/e it was :L
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
For the barnacle names, you can just put B. ____ or C. ____. and what did people put for the acid rain effect?!:confused:
Reply 5
It was mostly okay, some challenging questions though, the one talking about unexploited species as a food source??? For the river q i talked about removal of litter, landscaping, habitat/food provision.. I found that one really difficult ugh

For the river question I put about creating shallow and deeper areas so that fish can lay their eggs in the shallow areas while other species benefit from deeper and faster flowing areas. I also put about planting reeds so that the water is filtered and it acts as a habitat...is that right!?!?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AmyT997
For the barnacle names, you can just put B. ____ or C. ____. and what did people put for the acid rain effect?!:confused:

I said that they had a calcium carbonate skeleton which would get dissolved by acid rain
Original post by AmyT997

Mentioned that the abiotic factor of PH had been lowered by acid rain, therefore it may be outside the range of (said barnacles) tollerance.
What did you guys say for the question asking why one barnacle decreased in density in the prescence of the other one?
Reply 9
What did you guys say for the question asking why one barnacle decreased in density in the prescence of the other one?

i put that they occupy the same niche so when another species of barnacle is present, they have to live in different places to avoid competition for things like food and stuff
Original post by lizbob
i put that they occupy the same niche so when another species of barnacle is present, they have to live in different places to avoid competition for things like food and stuff

Yay! That's what I put
To be honest I found it really difficult! I walked in feeling really confident after getting A's and B's on all the past papers but I found all the other past papers had similar topics and repeated questions but this exam was completely different and didn't focus on the main topics at all. It doesn't help that the information in the book doesn't match the marking schemes either! Let's just hope next Thursday is a bit easier :smile:
Wow I didn't know anyone on this site studied environmental.. There's barely any resources online or on YouTube etc apart from that horrible black and white aqa book lol. I agree that river question was horrible and I put about straightening the river.. Then saw the picture and saw it was already straightened :mad: so then I rambled on about designations such as Ramsar site, how that can protect wildlife.. Horrible exam :/ 8 marker was great though.
Reply 13
yeah the 8 marker was a relief at the end of the paper! I also put about acid rain dissolving exoskeletons but for the river question i didn't think about river straightening/landscaping and just went on about planting more plants for a greater genetic diversity! grr seems so obvious now! How is everyone feeling about thursday and how are you revising for it?
In all honesty I haven't started revising for unit 2 yet! I've got business, psychology and environmental next week too :frown: I do find unit 2 a lot easier than unit 1 though. Glad that unit 2 is 60% of the grade. Really confident on biogeochemical cycles and soil.. :smile: fingers crossed everyone
Reply 15
Does anyone remember that their answers were for the left hand side of the table for the 1st question ie. the first one was Light Trap from what I remember and what was the other one?
Reply 16
Original post by varactas
Does anyone remember that their answers were for the left hand side of the table for the 1st question ie. the first one was Light Trap from what I remember and what was the other one?

On the last box I put tullgren funnels then i cant remember the others, did you put tullgren ffunnels?,
Original post by AmyT997
On the last box I put tullgren funnels then i cant remember the others, did you put tullgren ffunnels?,

Tüllgren Funnel, light trap, for beating tray I put like "used to sample population size of organisms living in trees".. Can't remember the others
How is everyone feeling about the exam on Thursday?
Original post by EmilyStrange13
How is everyone feeling about the exam on Thursday?

Pretty good, should be looking for 95% + ums really :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest