The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the AQA Tsarist Russia Exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gareth-james-C
That exam was as bad, possibly worse than I was expecting. It's like they tried to pick topics that were as obscure and vague as possible. Which when you think about how big the subject is and how much we have to learn is really not cool.

What's more annoying is we are always told not to just do narrative! How can they set a question about why Rasputin was killed and expect us not to write in a narrative style? What figures were we supposed to include, how big his wanger was? How much beer he drunk a night?

haha yes we should have all just talked about his massive warty dick :L and tbh I dont think it matters that much as long as you have 3 main points and arent just repeating yourself
Reply 21
All in all a good exam, bit annoyed how i spent months and months revising just so a question about Rasputin came up what the hell was that all about xD We've had one lesson on him and it was about how his penis ruled Russia. Can't believe the big finance ministers weren't involved!
Reply 22
The questions were a shock and pretty brutal compared to last year. Don't think it went that badly though - my Zemstva and Rasputin waffling was something tho...
Original post by Nick134
The questions were a shock and pretty brutal compared to last year. Don't think it went that badly though - my Zemstva and Rasputin waffling was something tho...

I did questions 2 and 3 it was quite hard i feel like the Rasputin one was the only one i actually knew however the weakness of Nicholas II was cause of the 1917 revolution wasn't too bad either :s-smilie:
Reply 24
I sat the exam last year and was so sad that Rasputin didn't come up, you guys are so lucky!
OMG anybody who done EDEXCEL AS HISTORY PAPER yesterday must have found that absolutely easy.

^ The question on Russia in Revolution:
Q3) To what extent did agriculture and the government changed in the years 1881-1914 O
Q4) The fall of the provisional government/Bolshevik consolidation power (something in the question was to do with the role evaluating Trotsky if he was the main factor)

For USA:
Q9) How far were the supreme court responsible for changing the status of afro-Americans in the years 1945-55 OR
Q10) How far did black power hinder the civil rights movement in the mid 1960s?

------------------------------------>
I did the question about the Economy & Government in Russia in the years 1881-1914 [ I panicked on this question I didn't make a plan just went straight into it and messed up ]

^ I talked about the impact of the Tsar Reaction (Repressive policies and how this caused great resentment forcing the government to repress to preserve autocracy, I talked about how there was the emancipation of the serfs and the industrialisation 'great spurt' to maintain the image of Russia as a great power as-well as the achievements of Stolypin economic reforms which were Land reforms, Siberia, peasant banks & how it strengthened the Tsar position in the years after the 1905 revolution]

I did the question on 'Black power' as this was a question which literally came up last year June 2012 paper and I was shocked to see it this year
The question last year was "Did black power do more harm than good in the weakening of the civil rights?"
this year question was "Did black power hinder the civil rights movement in the mid 1960s?" ^ OMG right?

I literally put my pen on the paper and kept writing non-stop and I had a constant flow I had quotes from speeches of MLK & Malcolm X and how the violent image and internal divisions were the fundamental factors which weakened the civil rights as-well as I talked about MLK Northern Campaigns & Congress & Vietnam war.

^ I wrote 3.5 Pages on Russia but 6.5 Pages on USA in 80 minutes = 10 Pages in 80 mins -> 1 PG/8 Mins. -> wow can't believe I wrote that fast.
(edited 9 years ago)
The question on Russia in Revolution:
Q3) To what extent did agriculture and the government changed in the years 1881-1914

^ I talked about the impact of the Tsar Reaction (Repressive policies and how this caused great resentment forcing the government to repress to preserve autocracy, I talked about how there was the emancipation of the serfs and the industrialisation 'great spurt' to maintain the image of Russia as a great power as-well as the achievements of Stolypin economic reforms which were Land reforms, Siberia, peasant banks & how it strengthened the Tsar position in the years after the 1905 revolution]

^ is there anything else I would include in the question I didn't write much on this question in stark contrast with USA lol
Original post by simmy123
I did questions 2 and 3 it was quite hard i feel like the Rasputin one was the only one i actually knew however the weakness of Nicholas II was cause of the 1917 revolution wasn't too bad either :s-smilie:

SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID QUESTION TWO

What did you put?!
Original post by peaaceandl0ve

What did you put?!

We had a similar reaction at our school, and there were loads of quite demoralized re-sitters. I assume the grade-boundaries may go down to 47 for an A, which would be nice, but i'm a little upset that so much didn't come up as all the work i put into it feels all a bit disappointing now :/

I did the second and third questions; on Social Revolutionaries which went well but i made a 1 mistakes and answer was fragmented in a bit of a panic, on 1905 which was a good answer, on Rasputin which was comedic as i'm not sure if i could have written anymore about it but it still felt lacking, and the February revolution which was a little abstract at times but went well overall.

What about everyone else?
Original post by peaaceandl0ve

What did you put?!

For how the SR's were formed i talked about how they originally came from the populists however they were slightly radical and were began to spread propaganda to the peasants as they believed peasants should be in charge. They wanted a revolution and wanted a monarchy. The SR's also split into left wing and the wrote wing the left were terrorists and the right were going to the peasants. (12 marks)

For how the SRs and SD's were involved in the 1905 revolution i said that the leader of the SD's Lenin wasn't there when the revolution happened and events such as the Potemkin mutiny and Blood Sunday and the Russo Japanese war had a larger detrimental effect than the SD's. As it showed that the Tsarist Regime was weak. The SR's however were a lot more involved and were a major factor they were radical and wanted this revolution although they failed they prepared Russia for the actual revolution in 1917. They were also heavily responsible for the assassination of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich... (24 marks)
This is just in a nutshell...btw

Thats all i remember haha but yeah what did you guys put

Quick Reply

Latest