The Student Room Group

If its done, don't talk about it

Hi people,

I know this message might be hard to stomach but if the exam you just took is done there is no point in talking about it endlessly - it just makes you obsessed by your grade/points etc.

I performed loads of calculations before and after each maths exam and it just doesn't help. Just try your best and leave it, we have no control after we have sat the paper, so we should all just relax and forget it until august 14th.

The only exception to this is to get your Centre to right letters about P3/D2 etc after a considerable number of people on this forum found them/parts of them hard. The fact is, complaining to your centre CAN make a difference as they discuss complaints/comments at the scaling meeting.

However, any other form of discussion just serves as an ego boost for those fortunate enough to have completely rinsed a paper, disappointment for some who may believe they have underachieved, and just plain doubt for those people inbetween.

I ask of everyone for your own good, take it easy, forget about the past exams and focus so you can maximise your potential on any future papers.
Reply 1
who the hell are you to tell us what to do.
Reply 2
D2 was horrendous too? (I'm doing S2)

Well the point of discussion is to relieve tension and stress after exams, and to seek solace together with people who have also sat the same exams. It is also another way to relate to other people more.

Calculating does help in a way, since it literally forces yourself to strive and obtain the needed mark for a particular grade, or on the other hand reduces anxiety if discovered that only a low mark is required for particular papers.

I agree that people should persuade Centres to write letters about rogue papers if need be, but I'm quite doubtful about the effect it would cause and whether it would be useful. This applies to me by the way, since I was one of the candidates who also sat that nasty Edexcel P3 paper this June - I personally felt that an extra 10 minutes would have been better.

Undoubtedly, the correct mindset is to focus on forthcoming exams and leave those of the past behind, whether under- or overperformed. However, discussion boards such as these may be helpful for checking answers and be useful for feedback in order to know how hard one has to perform in subsequent papers of the same subject for a particular grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending