jordancb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on TSR so I apologise if it is in the wrong section. I have seen many posts similiar to this on here but I would like, if possible, some information which is more "tailored" to my needs per se.

I am currently in Year 10 and looking to continue at my current school in the Sixth Form studying in preparation to take Law at university. Having perused the various threads on this topic on TSR and after speaking to a few of my teachers at school, it is fairly evident that deciding to study A-level Law would perhaps not be the most prudent decision to make.

Any insight into what to study at A-level would be greatly appreciated. At this moment in time, my shortlist for A-level subjects is as follows:

• French
  • German
  • English Literature
  • Biology
  • Philosophy (I have been told that this is useful)

At the moment I am also in the process of completing the Extended Project qualification by Edexcel.

If you'd like more information regarding my situation, please ask. I'm not particularly au fait with the selection of A-level options and I may not have explained my case fully.

Thanks!
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You've had some sound advice on A-level law. It isn't necessary for a law degree and universities don't prefer it over other subjects. It can create bad habits, but at the same time, it can be quite useful for giving you the basic grounding in, e.g. criminal law.

The most important thing is to choose three 'traditional' subjects. English, Maths, science, languages, history, etc are all in that group. Philosophy is okay and may help you if you have to do a jurisprudence module (some universities do, others don't). However, I don't think there are many A-levels which will really "help" you per se in a law degree: the most important thing is to get used to the workload and I suppose, to an extent, is helps to have one essay-based subject to get you into the swing of that (although, again, it is absolutely not a necessity: many successful law students studied 3 sciences at A-level). The EPQ is a good idea for the essay element of it, particularly if you're doing it on something which can relate to your planned law degree (I wrote mine on the age of criminal responsibility and it was a good foundation for my personal statement/Oxford interview).

If I were in your situation and those were the 6 options I was deciding between, I'd probably go for Biology, a language and English Literature. I personally studied French, Spanish, Maths and History, if that helps. I regret taking 4 A-levels; it wasn't necessary, particularly when you're doing an EPQ and I would strongly advise doing so. Take 4 AS levels, yes, but not 4 A-levels and an EPQ.
jordancb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for that! The EPQ I'm currently doing isn't really related to law. I'm doing it on the DPRK at the moment, but I'll be doing one next year too and I will probably do something related to law so that I'm able to get a flavour of things before jumping into it. Your choices seem pretty good to me, though I'm tempted to say that I'd go for French, German, English Literature and Biology instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (285)
60.51%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.67%