The Student Room Group

C2 Revision question.

I've just gone over the whole C2 specification, using a CGP Additional Science revision guide. There is, however, something I don't understand;

Making insoluble salts- precipitation reactions

The Revision guide states that 'you just need to pick two solutions that contain the ions you need'.

How do you know which solutions you can pick for the specific reaction?
Also, is this all we need to know on this topic (and the fact you have to then filter the salt out etc.)?

Oh and also, do you have to know exactly how Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron and Copper react with Dilute HCl? Or do you simply have to know that 'the more reactive the metal, the faster the reaction'?
im not sure about the first part,
but for the second bit,
all you need to know is that the more reactive metals, react explosively(and react faster)
Original post by mickel_w
I've just gone over the whole C2 specification, using a CGP Additional Science revision guide. There is, however, something I don't understand;

Making insoluble salts- precipitation reactions

The Revision guide states that 'you just need to pick two solutions that contain the ions you need'.

How do you know which solutions you can pick for the specific reaction?
Also, is this all we need to know on this topic (and the fact you have to then filter the salt out etc.)?

Oh and also, do you have to know exactly how Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron and Copper react with Dilute HCl? Or do you simply have to know that 'the more reactive the metal, the faster the reaction'?

It's kind of obvious once you know what you're doing, just a neutralization between a suitable acid and , e.g.

Magnesium Hydroxide + Nitric Acid ==> Magnesium Nitrate + Water, can't really explain it better than that :colondollar:

I don't think so, basically more reactive means faster reaction, more vigorous etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
It's kind of obvious once you know what you're doing, just a neutralization between a suitable acid and , e.g.

Magnesium Hydroxide + Nitric Acid ==> Magnesium Nitrate + Water, can't really explain it better than that :colondollar:

I don't think so, basically more reactive means faster reaction, more vigorous etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

gracias amigo
Reply 4
do you think the c2 paper might have 2 6-markers like the B2, and a lot 'how science works' questions? I don't really know how to revise for that, and analysing graphs/results just drains life out of me.
I hope there isn't a 6 marker on something vague like on the B2 paper (diffusion). We only got taught the definition and what can and can't diffuse through cell membranes :/
Fingers crossed it's mostly just factual, knowledge-testing chemistry stuff, then I'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest