The Student Room Group

GCSE History B (Modern World) Exam: 16/05/2014

Scroll to see replies

The Munich Putsch cartoon:

I was wondering what everyone made of this - I didn't have much time to think, so I made a lot of it up.

In brief:

Hitler and Ludendorf aren't being taken seriously by the judges.

They think Hitler & Co. are hysterical drunks (because the Putsch was staged in a beer hall) - not genuine political revolutionists.

Therefore, the judges are charging them merely with breaking local entertainment laws, by drinking a little too much.

The cartoonist thinks that the judges are blinding themselves in the Nazis' favour - even in the Weimar days, judges were notoriously right-wing.

Any thoughts?

Is this what you guys gathered from it? I've no idea if I'm right.
Reply 81
Original post by EastGuava
What do you mean? It was the Munich Beer Hall Putsch... so the mugs were referring to that. Seems blatant, no?

Just that I thought it was a German cartoon where the German was different for beer so it didn't mean what we refer in English as beer hall. But I may have mentioned in passing so it's ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Just that I thought it was a German cartoon where the German was different for beer so it didn't mean what we refer in English as beer hall. But I may have mentioned in passing so it's ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edited just before you replied. That does make sense, so you seem correct.
Reply 83
Original post by AlphaNick
Yeah, my main message was that the cartoon was mocking Hitler in thinking that he is Germany's savoir.

I picked up on this because Hitler was standing in a beer glass, implying that he's drunk and acting ludicrous / having a laugh.

I also picked up on the judges saying that he was "entertaining" - so they didn't take his idea of the Nazi Party as a 'revolutionary wave' seriously.

Either way, I think it is just a mocking of his attempt at a coup in 1923.

Yeh exactly the same but also mentioned how fat and wild eyed ludendorrf looked. Since this was after his trial, was the cartoonist not also offering an explanation for why Hitler got off so light?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by AlphaNick
I don't think it had anything to do with the trial; it was just commenting on how ridiculous Hitler was to think that he could march to and perform a coup in Berlin.

You could of course talk about the trial in the contextual / own knowledge part later.

As in the cartoon obviously mocked Hitler and his putsch but you could argue that the cartoon was showed both mockery and as a result, the result of the trial. He is perhaps trying to justify why the judges let him off so lightly in a satirical manner as this was clearly from a non Nazi supporter. If you were against the Nazis you would hv wanted to see Hitler imprisoned surely so he's therefore justiying to other non Nazis the reason for his release cos he doesn't want to acknowledge the judges have Nazi sympathies?

This is, of course, on top of the mockery which is the main point to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
I put the Judge was corrupt and a nazi supporter as The judge has a moustache which is styled like Hitler. And the fact Hitler was given a lenient sentence backed my theory up. This is just the Basics of what I put, but is this wrong. And would I get any marks?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gcse1998
i'm sure you won't get 0 marks, they will only mark one of them though and the other will be ignored i think.

how sure are you of this?! Do you have any other sources?! Thx
Also... How on earth do the examiners know which section (Inter-war, cold war, etc) we're answering? It only just crossed my mind... Should I have written it somewhere?
Reply 88
The paper was better than I thought it was going to be, quite liked the 10 mark questions.
I did Inter-War Years and Germany Depth Study! I think the questions were quite straight forward, however, I HATED the sources this year..like what the hell, was that just me?!
Aiming for an A*, any idea what the grade boundaries might be this year?
Hope the second paper won't have difficult sources, I hate source analysis. :frown:
what do you reckon the grade boundries shall be ??
Did anyone do USA land of freedom depth study? If so, how did you interpret the source questions? Some of them I found ok but the 'are you surprised' question more challenging. Also did anyone do the first section on the topics of Iraq war and the USSR and Gorbachev?
Reply 91
did this exam today, worried I messed up because it only took me 1hr30min instead of the full 2 :x :x :x i think i got everything in though? just hoping for the best really. i did the german depth study, and section B of international relations (the cold war). picked the questions on Cuba and the Weimar Republic... hoping they were the right choices :x
did anyone else finish really early? i really don't know if I did everything great or if I really messed it up by doing it so fast. also, in the german depth study, what happened in 1932 that made the writer of source D(?) say the nazis were heading into a "doubtful future"? i was so confused by that, I wrote about hitler and rohm disagreeing with how to run the party :/
Reply 92
Original post by kimmy6336
I think it was that he couldn't win the war because it was unwinnable but he couldn't end the war and surrender because he would look weak on the world stage?

Yess that's what I put. That they couldn't win it because of their failures and the Viet Cong's strengths so they couldn't tame or control it. But they couldn't get off and get out of Vietnam as they had spent ages persuading America that it was a good idea and they would be successful so they couldn't surrender now.
How much did everyone write in total for both parts of paper?
Reply 93
Did anyone do cold war section and USA depth study? How did you find the cartoons on USA? Like the CCC, Hoover and then Uncle sam and Roosevelt?
Reply 94
Original post by Flippant
did this exam today, worried I messed up because it only took me 1hr30min instead of the full 2 :x :x :x i think i got everything in though? just hoping for the best really. i did the german depth study, and section B of international relations (the cold war). picked the questions on Cuba and the Weimar Republic... hoping they were the right choices :x
did anyone else finish really early? i really don't know if I did everything great or if I really messed it up by doing it so fast. also, in the german depth study, what happened in 1932 that made the writer of source D(?) say the nazis were heading into a "doubtful future"? i was so confused by that, I wrote about hitler and rohm disagreeing with how to run the party :/

That was because the Nazis were losing votes in the Reichstag. They won their highest total in May but the seats dropped to under 200 in the november election. Therefore there was a sense of gloom that the Nazis were on the decline, for various other reasons, and that's why you should not be surprised. You need to be surprised aswell tho and for that I talked about optimism with Hitler negotiating with Von Papen to become chancellor.

Rohm and Hitler (night of long knives) conflicts was 1934 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by AKaur98
The paper was better than I thought it was going to be, quite liked the 10 mark questions.
I did Inter-War Years and Germany Depth Study! I think the questions were quite straight forward, however, I HATED the sources this year..like what the hell, was that just me?!
Aiming for an A*, any idea what the grade boundaries might be this year?
Hope the second paper won't have difficult sources, I hate source analysis. :frown:

Yeh exactly the same here, what did you talk about for the very first source in inter war period? Apart from that, most of the questions were pretty easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Did anyone else do Russia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
apparently you had to leave line spaces between each question?
I didn't do that!!!
Will i lose marks???
has anyone else not done this??:confused:
Original post by Treehouses
apparently you had to leave line spaces between each question?
I didn't do that!!!
Will i lose marks???
has anyone else not done this??:confused:

I dont think you'll lose marks for it, i think its just so the examiner can clearly see the end and the start of the new question. As long as you but the question number in the margin it will be fine.
The judge at Hitler and Ludendorff's trial knew Hitler - whilst there was clearly some mockery, the judge seemed to be playing down Hitler's actions. Though the Munich Putsch failed, it was still an attempt to overthrow the Government (if the army had supported them, it would have been a very different story...), and so deserved a harsher sentence and outcome. Hitler didn't get this because the judiciary was still largely pro-Empire and right-wing (as I said the judge also knew Hitler from a previous trial I think) since President Ebert decided not to reform it...

Either way, whether you argued that the poster highlighted that the trial was a failure because a) a pair of drunk lunatics got to go on a rant (i.e. depiction of Hitler and Ludendorff) and b) right-wing judiciary was too lenient, or that the poster was showing how the judge mocked Hitler, you'll almost certainly still get credit.

Quick Reply

Latest