The Student Room Group

Racism in football...what can we do prevent it?

racist chants and on the pitch amongst football players has been around for a very long time and although it has significantly reduced since the 1980s, racism is still a big issue in football. what needs to change? the fans? do footballers need to be educated? should the punishments be harsher?
Unfortunately the only way I can think of to really get rid of it would be to introduce points deductions. Harsh on the players who rarely have anything to do with the racism these days, but I imagine it'd fix things in the crowd fairly sharpish - imagine making a racist chant at a match only for your team to then get docked points and get relegated/miss out on the title, and knowing you were personally responsible! Similarly, if you're sat in the stands next to some guy doing it there's then a much bigger incentive to turn him in. Basically encourages collective responsibility throughout the entire club. As I say, it could be seen as harsh, and there would probably be a 'bedding-in' season or two with teams being punished left right and centre, but I can't think of anything that would work more quickly or more effectively.
Reply 2
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Unfortunately the only way I can think of to really get rid of it would be to introduce points deductions. Harsh on the players who rarely have anything to do with the racism these days, but I imagine it'd fix things in the crowd fairly sharpish - imagine making a racist chant at a match only for your team to then get docked points and get relegated/miss out on the title, and knowing you were personally responsible! Similarly, if you're sat in the stands next to some guy doing it there's then a much bigger incentive to turn him in. Basically encourages collective responsibility throughout the entire club. As I say, it could be seen as harsh, and there would probably be a 'bedding-in' season or two with teams being punished left right and centre, but I can't think of anything that would work more quickly or more effectively.

thats a very good idea!! do you think social media campaigns help prevent it? like the Dani Alves incident 'No to racism' 'We are all monkeys'. There has been a lot of criticism around that
One thing that needs to happen is people who don't attend matches and have zero experience of what actually goes on on the terraces & stands need to stop sticking their oar in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
racism is a social issue..no?
Original post by teykayy
racism is a social issue..no?

Racism in football...

racist chants and on the pitch

:eek:
Reply 6
haha sorry i mean do you think racism in football is because of society not being properly educated about this issue? i did a survey and someone answered "once society deems monkey chants are unacceptable, racism will stop"
Original post by teykayy
haha sorry i mean do you think racism in football is because of society not being properly educated about this issue? i did a survey and someone answered "once society deems monkey chants are unacceptable, racism will stop"

No because they know it's wrong, it's more to do with trying to upset the players/opposition fans. There will always be idiots that do it but it is very rare. In England anyway. Spain, Italy, Russia and so on, it's more of a problem.

We've actually seen people jailed for it over here. It seems there's a new incident every week in Italy.
Reply 8
Ban the teams from competitions.

Quick Reply

Latest