Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone else find it hard and run out of time?

ReputationRep:
    Yes...what the hell was this exam??? I was so pissed off at the paper i just wanted to get up and leave...What was up with the fieldwork? It was crazy man...nothing compared to the past papers!

ReputationRep:
    that exam so dodgy, my sisters revising rivers and i think i got some questions wrong they might be nice but this is edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FritoJane)
    Failed it for sure. Format was too different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I knowwww! samee! :'( i actually had big hopes for this exam...I thought i was gona get an A*... the format had nothing to do with the past papers why were there so many fieldwork questions?? and the stupid graphs???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FritoJane)
    Yeah edexcel added an extra section! I had high hopes too 53% was a B and 62% was an A last year. To be honest, i'll get neither it was actually that bad...
    that fieldwork section confused me

ReputationRep:
    Just silently hope we all pass!!! :sad: I am so angry with edexcel! So when you guys get results if u want share them in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    And that River Regime question! Like WTH are you supposed to write for 6 marks? (If I remember correctly, it was 6 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaeatchu)
    Yes...what the hell was this exam??? I was so pissed off at the paper i just wanted to get up and leave...What was up with the fieldwork? It was crazy man...nothing compared to the past papers!
    I messed up a whole section! People were in tears after the paper...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezrabuckman)
    And that River Regime question! Like WTH are you supposed to write for 6 marks? (If I remember correctly, it was 6 marks)
    When i read the word "river regime" my mind literally went blank. I checked afterwords and it is only mentioned once in the whole book! Its just a small sentence that is nowhere to be noticed. It was almost cruel asking such a question! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I messed up a whole section! People were in tears after the paper...
    I am not surprised they were in tears. I wanted to start bashing my head on the desk when i saw the paper.
    Oh and the field work sections-
    It was to choose between:
    River environments OR Coastal environments
    AND
    Fragile environments OR Urban environments

When i came out of the exam i found out the majority of the people did Coastal+River so i thought maybe i got confused and chose the wrong ones.
    I chose River environments and Urban environments.
    Am i right or am i wrong? What did you choose? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I am not surprised they were in tears. I wanted to start bashing my head on the desk when i saw the paper.
    Oh and the field work sections-
    It was to choose between:
    River environments OR Coastal environments
    AND
    Fragile environments OR Urban environments

When i came out of the exam i found out the majority of the people did Coastal+River so i thought maybe i got confused and chose the wrong ones.
    I chose River environments and Urban environments.
    Am i right or am i wrong? What did you choose? :confused:
    You're right! It's supposed to be one from both of them! That's where I messed up! I did Fragile Environments AND Urban so I basically messed up a whole section there...

ReputationRep:
    You're right! It's supposed to be one from both of them! That's where I messed up! I did Fragile Environments AND Urban so I basically messed up a whole section there...
    Many people messed up this thing so Edexcel should probably put the grade boundaries down. I skipped two nine mark questions because i didn't get what they were asking and also these stupid graphs on the field work sections...Throughout all my preparation for this exam i have never seen or heard of such graph!

I think this picture pretty much sums up what happened when they were creating our Geography exam...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Many people messed up this thing so Edexcel should probably put the grade boundaries down. I skipped two nine mark questions because i didn't get what they were asking and also these stupid graphs on the field work sections...Throughout all my preparation for this exam i have never seen or heard of such graph!

I think this picture pretty much sums up what happened when they were creating our Geography exam...
    I pray to the Grade Boundary Gods xD The 9 mark questions were quite vague so I get where you're coming from! I know! The graph for the River was so hard that it caused me to cut the whole section and do Urban Practical! :'(

Ahahahahaha Yes! I saw that Picture on Facebook and The geography exam popped into my head!

ReputationRep:
    I prepared for the old specification, I didn't even know about the new section until I saw it during the exam. So I tried to apply what I learnt in other subjects to answer the questions.

I said to measure the depth of a river; take measurements multiple times(science), filter out extreme high and low values by using the interquartile range (Q4-Q1) (mathematics) and then use the mean value as your depth. My answer is probably nothing like the marking scheme.

For safety or whatever the question was about measuring the river depth, I said make sure there are no crocodiles in the river; bet I got nothing for that.

I hated the question that asked me the advantages of my chosen way to display data - I ended up saying it's visual and can easily see correlations.

Then the question about a reindustrialized industry of a country - that wasn't in the book!!! I just made it up and said the UK's shipyards had a lot less work when ww2 ended, and then Nato increased its presence in Europe after 9/11 which reindustrialized the UK's shipyards which got more work repairing and refueling ships. I think that was a 9 mark question.

I really wanted an A+ because the grade boundaries for geography are usually so low (Around 72% for A+, 63% for A, 54 for B) but I would be delighted to get anything better than a B from that exam.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.