The Student Room Group

WJEC AS English Literature - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, I'm doing Seamus Heaney and Owen Sheers, my play is Oleanna! Any ideas for the Oleanna question this year?
Original post by IHTWFR
My other teacher had told me about that structure (I discredited it as her teaching is not too great) but I'm not particularly sure about it as it looks really convoluted and for an hour that doesn't look like it will be enough.

Kindertransport: My teacher stresses the importance of context linking back to the question and not just being irrelevant context to actually fulfil A04. I saw Kindertransport in theatre as well and the main thing to note is the lighting and the symbols e.g. polishing of the glass... However I'm yet to find any lighting in the actually script!

I'm really scared about timing. Have they given us an hour to write because they want well constructed answers that have great expression or is it because they want us to write as much as possible in the time given? Normally for History our 30 markers are one minute per mark and now English are giving me an extra 30 minutes. I would have thought that 30 minutes would be used to think up about great analysis and how to express it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it should be alright since I've been getting high Bs/A for poetry and my two teachers are really harsh markers. It's just that my teacher has been telling us to use sharper analysis to get higher marks so I tend to spend more time developing AO2 and end up having just enough time to finish the essay.
I'm doing Oleanna as my play, however I have T.S Eliot and Yeats for poetry (yawn, Yeats).
I'm hoping for a question on political correctness, relationships or misogyny because that's where most of the context will fit with. It's possible that power will come up, but that'll link in with the aforementioned so I wouldn't complain about that?

The main issue is trying to revise, English Lit is a hard subject to revise for! Looking over your notes is the best idea, really - I wish you all good luck!
Original post by ii.roc
Does anyone have any predictions as to what could come up for dancing at lughnasa? and poetry section, regarding Duffy? :/

I'm doing Dancing at Lughnasa :smile:
Quite a lot of themes have come up so they may come up again. Having said that they may introduce a character question (Which I'm hoping they will do). Some themes may be: Escapism, change and freedom (already came up in 2011), dancing (came up in 2009) and characters could be: Kate, Agnes, Michael and Gerry.
Anyone else doing Heaney/Sheers have any ideas about what's coming up? I was thinking maybe something politics related as that hasn't been up for a while.
on average how long should the essay be?
as I keep running out of time from writing too much
Reply 26
Original post by LiquidKarma
on average how long should the essay be?
as I keep running out of time from writing too much

Generally 6 sides I would say but some may argue that's too much..

Does anyone have a really good structure for the play-based section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Doing Plath and Hughes! Anyone else doing Arcadia?
...I'm so unprepared for this exam!!
Original post by AmeliaE
Doing Plath and Hughes! Anyone else doing Arcadia?
...I'm so unprepared for this exam!!

I'm doing Arcadia too! What do you think of it? We did a mock of last year's paper a few weeks back and I really liked the questions, but that probably means that this year it'll be something awful :s-smilie:
We have been studying The Time Travellers Wife and The Time Machine, does anyone have any guesses about which 2 poems may come up?
Reply 30
Original post by vanessaodris
I'm doing Arcadia too! What do you think of it? We did a mock of last year's paper a few weeks back and I really liked the questions, but that probably means that this year it'll be something awful :s-smilie:

Wow, someone else in the Universe who does it! Our teacher has his bets on either 'teaching' or 'gardens' coming up.... Don't mind gardens but teaching :|||||| my teacher's a really harsh marker and I have 0 confidence, however my other teacher said that because it's a hard and unpopular play (some people do it at A2) examiners can be nicer marking it - hopefully!!!

I wouldn't mind scientific ideas - what do you want to come up?
Original post by AmeliaE
Wow, someone else in the Universe who does it! Our teacher has his bets on either 'teaching' or 'gardens' coming up.... Don't mind gardens but teaching :|||||| my teacher's a really harsh marker and I have 0 confidence, however my other teacher said that because it's a hard and unpopular play (some people do it at A2) examiners can be nicer marking it - hopefully!!!

I wouldn't mind scientific ideas - what do you want to come up?

Haha ngl never heard of it before we studied it! We were lucky and got to see it in a theatre near where we live a few weeks ago. Dear god teaching?!? I agree though, gardens would be fine. Personally I quite like science and maths but that came up last year... Classicism or romanticism would be good too. Not character studies aha! God I hope that's true, it really is a confusing play! How are you revising?
Also is anyone else doing T.S. Eliot?
Reply 33
Original post by vanessaodris
Haha ngl never heard of it before we studied it! We were lucky and got to see it in a theatre near where we live a few weeks ago. Dear god teaching?!? I agree though, gardens would be fine. Personally I quite like science and maths but that came up last year... Classicism or romanticism would be good too. Not character studies aha! God I hope that's true, it really is a confusing play! How are you revising?

Did you go to Bristol???? I did too!!! I would hate romanticism!
I'm doing plans of what I'd say with essay titles, and I bought the dramatised audio file from iTunes so have been listening to it on repeat! How have you been revising?
Original post by AmeliaE
Did you go to Bristol???? I did too!!! I would hate romanticism!
I'm doing plans of what I'd say with essay titles, and I bought the dramatised audio file from iTunes so have been listening to it on repeat! How have you been revising?

Haha yeah I live in Bristol! Did you like the production? Apparently it's literally never performed so we're lucky we saw it! Wow that sounds organised XD I made essay plans over Easter so looked at those and just read through my Schmoop study guide a bit, that's it, I just did english impossible to revise!
Reply 35
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
Anyone else doing Heaney/Sheers have any ideas about what's coming up? I was thinking maybe something politics related as that hasn't been up for a while.

A bit late, but I'm thinking something to do with separation/conflict as that has come up yet?
How did you guys find the exam? Strangely, I really enjoyed it. I hope all of you did well!

To those of you who did Kindertransport: what question did you answer? I did the one about men and male figures. If you answered the question about family relationships, what did you write? I wasn't sure about what I would put.
The questions for the both poetry and drama were fair and it was a dream to see the choice between death and relationships for Plath and Hughes. Hopefully I did well enough to get an A :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by AutumnFirefly
The questions for the both poetry and drama were fair and it was a dream to see the choice between death and relationships for Plath and Hughes. Hopefully I did well enough to get an A :smile:

I thank you for actually predicting death would come up! I used Moon and The Yew Tree, Crossing the Water and Heptonstall what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending