The Student Room Group

Unit 6 Specification

On this specification for Unit 6 it says:

"identify the most appropriate apparatus, giving essential details-‐essential details may include the range and precision of instruments
and/or relevant dimensions of apparatus (eg the length of string used
for a pendulum)"

What do they mean by the range of an instrument? I know the precision of a vernier, micrometer, metre rule, protractor, stopwatch, but what is the range of these?

And what do they mean by the dimensions of apparatus? I know the formula for the time period of a pendulum which has the term length in it, but what do they exactly mean by this requirement?
The range of an instrument tells you the highest and lowest value it can read.
If you've ever used a digital voltmeter there is a dial on it where you can select the range.
eg 0V to 5V

Dimension means size.
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
The range of an instrument tells you the highest and lowest value it can read.
If you've ever used a digital voltmeter there is a dial on it where you can select the range.
eg 0V to 5V

Dimension means size.

But what does it mean then? The size of the string of the pendulum? It depends on the experiment though, doesn't it?
Original post by jtbteddy
But what does it mean then? The size of the string of the pendulum? It depends on the experiment though, doesn't it?

It's just using common sense.
if you have the size (dimensions) of something to measure then use the appropriate instrument to do it.
you are not going to measure the length of a 1m piece of string with a vernier calliper, are you?
If you have a cell with an emf of about 1.5V you are going to use the 0v to 2V range on your meter and not the 0 to 0.2V range.
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
It's just using common sense.
if you have the size (dimensions) of something to measure then use the appropriate instrument to do it.
you are not going to measure the length of a 1m piece of string with a vernier calliper, are you?
If you have a cell with an emf of about 1.5V you are going to use the 0v to 2V range on your meter and not the 0 to 0.2V range.

Ohhhh okay! Got it, I misunderstood it, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest