The Student Room Group

Difference between subsidiary diploma and national diploma ???

I'm studying BTEC business level 3. The first year I enrolled on a subsidiary diploma course, now i am nearing the end of year two and my tutor said that we are now studying a national diploma. However, i do not what is the difference is between the two :frown:

I had a distinction* from last year which includes an additional Award in Management & Functional Skills English subjects which are both worth 10 ucas points each.

Can somebody help me please? & Is the second year grade worth more than the first year grade when referring to ucas points ??
Reply 1
The points get all added together. To get a D*D*D* overall you can still get 3 merits throughout the 2 years. Or 1 merit and a pass on your assignments.

A Distinction in a unit gives so many points and a pass and merit do also.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
But I think for this diploma, I only get 2 grades overall. It's the extended diploma that has 3 grades overall. This whole thing is really confusing me lol. I'm doing 12 units all together, I did 6 units in the 1st year & I am doing 6 units this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In order to attain a Subsidiary Diploma, you need to complete 6 units. To achieve your National Diploma, you have to complete 12 units. As you rightly mentioned, the National Diploma is equivalent to 2 A-Levels, where as the Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to 1 A-Level.

To answer your question, if you haven't figured out already, the Subsidiary Diploma is your first year qualification. The reason why most colleges enter students for this is because MANY students don't progress onto the second year for various different reasons, therefore giving them a formal qualification regardless if they are to move on to the second year. Progression on to the second year means that you come out with the National Diploma in the form of 2 grades.

Hope it helped.
Well in my case it was the fact that I couldn't handle 4 a levels in college (which is total bull**** because BTEC are harder, I have stress problems :colondollar:) so they gave me 2 a level subjects and two BTEC sub dips, they're actually really good and you'll come out with some UCAS points at the end of the year if you decide to quit it.

However with BTEC Nationals they take up a lot more time on the timetable, if you quit the national after a year I don't think you get your points but you get more UCAS points if you do a national for 2 years instead of a sub dip.

I really wish I took a BTEC national instead I'm faffing about with my Year 1 & 2 BTEC Sub dip ICT and BTEC Sub Dip Law trying to figure out what I need from each of them.

Hope this helps, best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thanks guys !!! ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it possible to move to Business Sub 1st year and then straight to Ext business to achieve a better grade?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending