monopoly999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What did everyone think of it?? Did anyone else find the 12 markers reallly tough to get 3 distinct points
pie-inator
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, the 12 markers were a bit tough but manageable. The only one I struggled with really was Saladin unifying the Muslims! I wrote absolute jiberish for the third point....other than that - the 24 markers were great. I think it was a pretty decent exam
monopoly999
Rep:
?
(Original post by pie-inator)
Yeah, the 12 markers were a bit tough but manageable. The only one I struggled with really was Saladin unifying the Muslims! I wrote absolute jiberish for the third point....other than that - the 24 markers were great. I think it was a pretty decent exam
So did you pick the first crusde questions as your other set of questions, and if so did you struggle to get 3 distinct points for the 12 marker and what do you think the grade boundaries will be like??
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course the First Crusade You would either have to be crazy or know castles REALLY well to pick set 2.... (the people from my school who picked that and I talked to said they regretted it already...). By the 12 marker, do you mean the Alexius one? That wasn't hard. I had to think it through but it was pretty simple. I'm not sure about the grade boundaries but the questions were not too hard (at least the 24 markers). An A usually is about 55-ish (I think...I'm not sure about the other ones though XD I was only interested in the A )
monopoly999
Rep:
?
Of course the First Crusade You would either have to be crazy or know castles REALLY well to pick set 2.... (the people from my school who picked that and I talked to said they regretted it already...). By the 12 marker, do you mean the Alexius one? That wasn't hard. I had to think it through but it was pretty simple. I'm not sure about the grade boundaries but the questions were not too hard (at least the 24 markers). An A usually is about 55-ish (I think...I'm not sure about the other ones though XD I was only interested in the A )
So what were your three points, I found it hard to get 3 good ones as normally we look at why urban callee it rather than alexius???
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well..if I remember correctly, I put something among the lines of this (prob not the same order):
1. Threat of the Seljuk Turks expanding lands and taking Byzantine territory eg Nicaea
2. Believed time was right - divisions within the Muslims after Malik Shah's death in 1092
3. Needed extra manpower so hired mercenaries - Byzantium quite weak esp after Manzikert in 1071

Not sure about the last one but a point is still a point. What did you put?
P.S. Oh yeah, I put somewhere in there his link to Urban II since they were on friendly terms
monopoly999
Rep:
?
Well..if I remember correctly, I put something among the lines of this (prob not the same order):
1. Threat of the Seljuk Turks expanding lands and taking Byzantine territory eg Nicaea
2. Believed time was right - divisions within the Muslims after Malik Shah's death in 1092
3. Needed extra manpower so hired mercenaries - Byzantium quite weak esp after Manzikert in 1071

Not sure about the last one but a point is still a point. What did you put?
P.S. Oh yeah, I put somewhere in there his link to Urban II since they were on friendly terms

I said about 1- losing land to the Seljuks,
2- pilgrims were being killed so wanted to stop this and linked this too the threat of the seljuks
3- united east and west Christians following their ongoing schiism
A bit dodgy but got there in the end
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, I'd say those are fair enough point but I'm not sure whether it would fully count as Alexius' personal reasons (since I thought that was what the question was asking). What about the other ones? What did you put on the Saladin one?
monopoly999
Rep:
?
Yeah, I'd say those are fair enough point but I'm not sure whether it would fully count as Alexius' personal reasons (since I thought that was what the question was asking). What about the other ones? What did you put on the Saladin one?
Yeah thats what I thought but the reason alexius called for it was to protect byzantine christain pilgrim's who were his property in as such and cant remeber the third bit I said he united them throuhh reynald as he was a common hate in the Muslim world after his attack on the muslim caravan then I said about his use of jihad and linked this to reynald as he was used as a focus for jihad then I said about his capture of aleppo and others in 1182 campaign and said this meant he was seen as a savour of islam and thus united the Muslims , I finished with a conclusion about the short and long term reasons
I found this question easier than alexius
What were your reasons ??
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah...I thought the Alexius one was easier XD (mainly because our class knew the First Crusade really well - we did spend 3 months on it!)
Hmm...I first mentioned the Jihad since it was the most obvious one. Reynauld was somewhere in the points about his attack on caravan and on Mecca in....I think 1182? Anyway, I said it was proof of Franks being a threat to Muslims and how Jihad was the equivalent of a Muslim's Christian Crusade. Then I put about him rising to power in Egypt thus having lots of influence and resources as he conquered the lands of his enemies/opposers and there were legends of him being indestructible so the emirs would rather have had him as an ally than an enemy. The last one was a 'what happened here' since I can't remember fully what I wrote but I do remember mentioning his connections and the Springs of Cresson as the templars attacked first further showing that Franks were dangerous etc and this led to more joining him such as his nephew Taki ad-Din
I was really glad there were no questions on the Fourth Crusade since I didn't even revise it...
ashley2197
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm so glad someone made a thread about this exam ! I agree the 12 markers were tough to find three points. Hope the boundaries are low

Posted from TSR Mobile
monopoly999
Rep:
?
Ah...I thought the Alexius one was easier XD (mainly because our class knew the First Crusade really well - we did spend 3 months on it!)
Hmm...I first mentioned the Jihad since it was the most obvious one. Reynauld was somewhere in the points about his attack on caravan and on Mecca in....I think 1182? Anyway, I said it was proof of Franks being a threat to Muslims and how Jihad was the equivalent of a Muslim's Christian Crusade. Then I put about him rising to power in Egypt thus having lots of influence and resources as he conquered the lands of his enemies/opposers and there were legends of him being indestructible so the emirs would rather have had him as an ally than an enemy. The last one was a 'what happened here' since I can't remember fully what I wrote but I do remember mentioning his connections and the Springs of Cresson as the templars attacked first further showing that Franks were dangerous etc and this led to more joining him such as his nephew Taki ad-Din
I was really glad there were no questions on the Fourth Crusade since I didn't even revise it...
I was actual hoping for the 4th crusade as not many people know it that well and therefore the grade boundaries would be lower
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ashley2197)
I'm so glad someone made a thread about this exam ! I agree the 12 markers were tough to find three points. Hope the boundaries are low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, me too! It took a while for me to find it haha. I'm surprised not many people do this unit! I actually like the Crusades. It's just that the exams are pretty evil since there is a lot of content
The boundaries are usually about the same, ranging by a few marks. You can always check on AQA website and look at their UMS calculator to see previous years and compare which should give you a good idea
Ellevis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Was so happy with the questions on a whole! I'm also so glad it's over and I'll never have to hear about the crusades again hehe

I chose to do the first and third crusade q's - thought the 12 markers were a tad vague but definitely doable!
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by monopoly999)
I was actual hoping for the 4th crusade as not many people know it that well and therefore the grade boundaries would be lower
Yeah, one of the guys I know also hoped that (he had to do the castles one since he didn't know the Third one well enough). I know that the boundaries are lower for that one but the content is still rather....annoying
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ellevis)
Was so happy with the questions on a whole! I'm also so glad it's over and I'll never have to hear about the crusades again hehe

I chose to do the first and third crusade q's - thought the 12 markers were a tad vague but definitely doable!
Well at first I was paralysed with the questions but yeah, once I collected my thoughts and started writing, it was a piece of cake! I hope to never have to remember all the dates for the Crusades ever again XD
monopoly999
Rep:
?
Yeah, one of the guys I know also hoped that (he had to do the castles one since he didn't know the Third one well enough). I know that the boundaries are lower for that one but the content is still rather....annoying
Hopefully the people doing the castle one brings the boundaries down and What do you normally get in crusades becuade I found out something I was surprised at- the highest ever mark required for an a was 53 , with the average over the last 5 years being 49/50, which if that was the case all you need is 25 and 25 which would be 8 and 17 which seens quite low
monopoly999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashley2197)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah thats what I thought, what questions did you pick??
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by monopoly999)
Hopefully the people doing the castle one brings the boundaries down and What do you normally get in crusades becuade I found out something I was surprised at- the highest ever mark required for an a was 53 , with the average over the last 5 years being 49/50, which if that was the case all you need is 25 and 25 which would be 8 and 17 which seens quite low
Oh I hope so as well. I felt sorry for the people who did that since I knew they did know their stuff and studied hard. The problem with the castles question was that it asked how they are used to defend and many could have missed the 'defend' part and wrote what castles were generally used for. Examples would have been a bit difficult. The examiners will hopefully be more sympathetic as they know many won't choose that question and they tend to be a little bit softer on those ones and harder on popular questions.
I also found that it was usually 53-55-ish which also surprised me. You have to remember however that it's hard to get completely full marks and you might lose quite a few so it's pretty decent. If you know your stuff, you should be able to do well so I think it's fair enough. They're probably low since the crusades topic is quite a challenging one - it requires you to know a lot of background knowledge so you could understand the actual events
pie-inator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Btw - does anyone remember what the 12 marker was the 2nd section (which went with 24 mrk castles)? It's been really bugging me since I couldn't remember it when people asked me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (163)
66.8%
No (81)
33.2%

Watched Threads