The Student Room Group

Russell group universities for medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J1mmy
It's true that all medical courses within the UK are accredited and all applicants know this, but I think the debate on applying to more 'prestigious' schools goes beyond this reasoning. It seems from the applicants perspective that it's almost in an attempt to soothe the ego by attending a school that is better placed in the league tables, either to prove it to themselves, or others about their (superficial) perception of superiority. It's still out there for debate as to whether better placed schools have a more engaging, and intellectually rich experience, and perhaps it is this what most applicants want to address, albeit unconsciously by starting threads like this. It's much like appreciating that any car will get you from A to B, but also still preferring the Audi to the Kia.

I understand what you're saying, after all, as a med applicant this year I experienced firsthand people being less than impressed with some of the unis I was applying to for med (and 3 were russel group and 1 1994 group!!!) as they dont really understand how competitive med is. Obviously, its nice to apply to 'prestigious' unis etc. and ultimately people should apply where they want to. However, the foremost consideration when applying really should be "where can I get in?"...with "what is most prestigious" coming in a fairway behind that :tongue:
Reply 61
Original post by Dr. Django
I understand what you're saying, after all, as a med applicant this year I experienced firsthand people being less than impressed with some of the unis I was applying to for med (and 3 were russel group and 1 1994 group!!!) as they dont really understand how competitive med is. Obviously, its nice to apply to 'prestigious' unis etc. and ultimately people should apply where they want to. However, the foremost consideration when applying really should be "where can I get in?"...with "what is most prestigious" coming in a fairway behind that :tongue:

Succumbing to the internal desires is beyond that, and supersedes any logical reasoning. For most people, it's not about where I can get in, or in another case, what car I can afford to buy, but much rather, what school will I be happily associated with that won't make me lesser of a student than my peers (and one that will stand equivalent to my own perceived intelligence). In fact, many people tend to make a sacrifice especially at London schools (when having offers outside the capital) they're still more than willing to drop several thousand pounds more in maintenance (knowing that they're career may unfold exactly the same, professionally, if they went to Leeds, for instance).

Anyway, it's just a point I want to make, I don't want to turn this thread into one of those discussions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending