Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Anyone else here taking this exam? I'm concentrating on Free Will & Determinism and Virtue Ethics.:yy:
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
tim12333
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Anyone else here taking this exam? I'm concentrating on Free Will & Determinism and Virtue Ethics.:yy:
Yep, I've done virtue ethics, free will and determinism moving onto sex and relationships as a back up.
Everglow
Rep:
?
(Original post by tim12333)
Yep, I've done virtue ethics, free will and determinism moving onto sex and relationships as a back up.
I was starting to think nobody else on here took this exam.

I'm taking a bit of a risk and just doing Virtue Ethics and Free Will & Determinism. It paid off for me last year as I revised two topics for each unit so that I knew them in and out.

What grade are you aiming for?
white-tea-shirt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing free will+determinism and sexual ethics ;
Do you guys have any predictions?
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I'm taking a bit of a risk and just doing Virtue Ethics and Free Will & Determinism. It paid off for me last year as I revised two topics for each unit so that I knew them in and out.

Was going to revise for sex and relationships but I literally have other exams to revise for, so I guess I'm just going to be revising Virtue Ethics and free will and an A* wbu?
white-tea-shirt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hey what are you doing to revise for free will?
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I struggle with the part B's the most... the book has very little on the part b questions, so I just find myself blagging through the part b questions most of the time.
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by white-tea-shirt)
I'm doing free will+determinism and sexual ethics ;
Do you guys have any predictions?
Nope, I think the questions are fairly straight forward though, so it shouldn't be a problem....
Everglow
Rep:
?
Was going to revise for sex and relationships but I literally have other exams to revise for, so I guess I'm just going to be revising Virtue Ethics and free will and an A* wbu?
Yeah I'm going for an A* as well, although I'd be happy with an A as well. How did you do last year?

(Original post by white-tea-shirt)
Hey what are you doing to revise for free will?
Practice essays and going through notes. How about you?

Nope, I think the questions are fairly straight forward though, so it shouldn't be a problem....
You think so? I think some very odd questions could appear on free will. Like, there's that thing on the spec about 'free will curtailed by volition' which I guarantee will trip the majority of students up if it comes up. Last year's question was a walk in the park, so I suspect this year's might be a little different.
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I'm going for an A* as well, although I'd be happy with an A as well. How did you do last year?

Practice essays and going through notes. How about you?

You think so? I think some very odd questions could appear on free will. Like, there's that thing on the spec about 'free will curtailed by volition' which I guarantee will trip the majority of students up if it comes up. Last year's question was a walk in the park, so I suspect this year's might be a little different.
yeah I guess but if it came up with something like 'free will curtailed by volition' I would talk about conscience, genetics and the environment, society and put some religious links in there
tim12333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also does anyone think they're very lenient with regards to this exam?
Everglow
Rep:
?
yeah I guess but if it came up with something like 'free will curtailed by volition' I would talk about conscience, genetics and the environment, society and put some religious links in there
The good news is, if it came up, the grade boundaries would almost certainly be lower. 'Free will curtailed by volition' is quite a confusing statement.

Also does anyone think they're very lenient with regards to this exam?
Unit 3 is much like Unit 1 and 2 from last year so I assume it will be marked in line with them. I got 196/200 last year, so I'm optimistic about the marking.
zoegracez
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
does anyone have any notes for the bits on the spec regarding sexual behaviour about family and children, or human relationships/abuse of power?
What sort of questions could they come up with for those topics, and how would you answer them?
maryamzahid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Taking free will and determinism and Sexual Ethics, only scared about the bloody timing -_-
jzola
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a feeling for Libertarianism either free will curtailed by volition, the casually undetermined choice or internal and external causation may come up. I think my nightmare question would probably be personality
zoegracez
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jzola)
I have a feeling for Libertarianism either free will curtailed by volition, the casually undetermined choice or internal and external causation may come up. I think my nightmare question would probably be personality
what would you write for an essay which asked examine how free will is curtailed by volition?
AmiraSerafina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Science & Tech and Sex & Relationships for me... I've no idea what might come up for sex, but embryo experimentation and cloning has never come up for science. :O
Aspiring Medic 7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Virtue Ethics and the sex and relationships topic... literally so scared for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jzola
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zoegracez)
what would you write for an essay which asked examine how free will is curtailed by volition?
I'd probably put in most of this stuff x

Free will is defined as the concept used to refer to the belief that human behaviour is not absolutely determined by external causes, but is the results of choices made by an act of will by the agent. Whereas, volition outlines the power of making a choice. It could be argued that the power of making a choice is limited by natural laws, physical, psychological and emotional states which in turn curtail our free will.

Thomas Hobbes would argue that free will means that a person can make a decision, but also act differently if they wished to do so. If somebody is constrained and then performs an action because of this then they do in fact have no free will. So in the case of rape, for example, it could be argued that the victim has no free will as they are being forced into sex. So, if by Hobbes definition of free will; the ability to be able to freely choose between one choice or another, in this case, we could argue that an individuals free will can in fact be curtailed, or rather in this example, completely take away by the power of one individual over another.

You could, however, state that a person who is not in control of their actions by means of say drink and drugs in not in complete control over their moral actions; their freedom of choice is being limited by their mental state under the influence of substance. In a similar nature, we could apply this concept to argue that our free will is curtailed by volition by psychological means i.e. mental illness. For example, in cases of post natal depression. In an extreme example, Natasha Sultan confessed to to murder of her six week old baby, Amelia-Lily as a result of post natal depression. Sultan was spared jail under the pretence that her free will not to murder her child was limited by the severity of her post natal depression i.e. her volition (power of choice) was limited by her mental disorder. Therefore, freedom is limited by volition both in external and internal states.

Our free will is also curtailed by possibility. Hobbes presents this through the means of hypothetical example: although humans, through their free will would like the opportunity to fly, it does not mean that we can. Therefore our freedom is limited through the laws of nature. Therefore, Hobbes implies that free will is curtailed by what is actually possible.

However, Jean Paul Sartre would argue against the idea of free will being curtailed by volition by arguing from a libertarian stance. Libertarianism is the ethical notion that believes that all humans are free autonomous beings and are therefore dually punished and praised as a results of their actions. Contrary to Hobbes, Sartre argues that free will is not the elimination of all influencing factors, but our ability to be autonomous and make decisions freely through reason whilst consciously knowing of their consequences.

Jewish doctrine supports the views of Sartre which is demonstrated through the concepts of Yetzah-tov and Yetzah-ra. Yetzah-tov is represented as the moral conscience (active from the age of 13) which reminds an individual of God’s laws. Yetzah-ra is our humanistic desires i.e. the desire to have sex, shelter and food. Yetzah-ra is not inherently a negative complex and is held responsible in Jewish doctrine for rituals such as marriage in order to engage in intercourse and found a family, however, when out of touch with Yetzah-tov, it is said to lead “immoral” behaviour. The Jewish maintain that ultimately, although both of these complexes are in place, it is the free decision of the individual as to which complex they attend to the needs of. The complexes of Yetzah-ra and Yetzah-tov therefore demonstrate how, although there may exist factors that can influence our behaviour, religious belief being an obvious great influence within society, free will ultimately still exists.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (113)
40.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.47%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (63)
22.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.86%

Watched Threads