Is the photography course at Brighton to fine art?

Watch
Bronniicross
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I would like to know if the photography course at Brighton is too fine art for a commercial photographer (fashion/portraiture) ? Plus would a dyslexic student like myself survive with the written work D: ?
Let me know
University of Brighton Accommodation
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bronniicross)
Hi I would like to know if the photography course at Brighton is too fine art for a commercial photographer (fashion/portraiture) ? Plus would a dyslexic student like myself survive with the written work D: ?
Let me know
Hi Bronniicross

You're right, the photography course at Brighton is a fine art - photography course. I'm sure you have checked out the page already about it, but just in case http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/study/pmi...ography-mfa-ba
It is very worth looking at the the careers page on the course description as it lists the career options and the types of jobs that graduates from the course are doing. And do get in touch with the course if you have more questions. It is important that you choose a course that suits you

I know plenty of students and graduates who have / do portraiture and fashion work as part or their main portfolio / career. I think that also, what you learn on this course is to be able to put things in context and think critically and creatively about your own work and that of others. But there is someone who can tell you about this much better than I can, Lauren_Mac is a second year photography student here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2663197
I know that Lauren produces some work that you might say was more commercial (she has already had her work used on a book cover, among other projects, for example) I'm sure she will be happy to elaborate

Also worth knowing is that there is lots of support at Brighton for students with dyslexia, check out this advice page. It explains that the sooner you tell the uni that you are dyslexic, the sooner you can access support and what that is (there is a whole range) http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-h...exia-spld.aspx so please do not worry about that!

Best Wishes
Viv

Several of my friends and course mates were dyslexic and found the support they could get really useful
lauren_mac
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bronniicross)
Let me know
Hi Bronniicross,

I'm sorry this is such a delayed reply, I've finally got all deadlines out of the way so I can hopefully make your decision a bit easier. The course at Brighton is more of a Fine Art course, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessarily suited to what you want. Many people that graduate from Brighton go on to do fashion work, as well as much more commercial work (obviously not everyone does... but it's worth a mention!). I personally feel like I'm in between the "art photography world" and the more "commercial world". I shoot a lot of portraiture, and I am probably focussed on aesthetics as well as the conceptual side of things. You can see my work here if you want to get an idea of how things fit in...
http://www.laurenmaccabee.com
You can see I do wedding photography and some diary-type photography too. I think what's important is that the course will suit you - even though I don't think I will go into a fine art practice after I graduate (I'm currently in second year) I think that studying a fine art course has really helped my critical understanding of photography. Technically you learn a lot, you can borrow a huge variety of cameras, and there are obviously all the darkroom/studio/scanning facilities. Since being at Brighton I seem to use film photography (largely 35mm and medium format 6x7) and then digital photography for my own work, weddings, and fashion things here and there. If I were you I'd come along to an open day and see if you think it's your kind of thing. It's a great course but you need quite a bit of self motivation too! There is quite a large written element to the course but I think that's partly why it is regarded so highly. If you're dyslexic you get extra time and help with essays etc. which is really good. The key readings are sometimes not all that easy to understand but you have to spend time reading them and looking up words here and there. If you have any other questions at all feel free to ask away, but hopefully that is a bit of help!
Lauren
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed