The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel5001
Yh I think the metaphase/telophase stuff is a-level, though it is in the textbook which is kinda worrying. But like you said they tend to just want you to know basic things like the key differences between meiosis and mitosis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not on the specification so I wouldn't worry about it - all it says on the spec is that mitosis occurs during growth, repair, cloning, and asexual reproduction and that it results in two cells with the same chromosome number and identical DNA. It's the same sort of thing for meiosis, so I doubt there will be anything about the specifics!
SMOKING? WUT?

We've never been taught this sub topic. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what Edexcel wants us to know - preferably lifted from the specification.

Ugh. The joys of being taught by Mr McCrappy...
Original post by ilovemusic386
SMOKING? WUT?

We've never been taught this sub topic. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what Edexcel wants us to know - preferably lifted from the specification.

Ugh. The joys of being taught by Mr McCrappy...

The smoking stuff is basically part of the chapter about ventilation. I think you need to know diseases associated with smoking (e.g. emphysema, bronchitis, coronary heart disease and lung cancer) as well as why carbon monoxide in cigarettes is bad (ie haemoglobin combining with CO in preference to oxygen). It's much less info than it sounds like because you don't have to know that much on each disease.
The specification says:
"2.47 understand the biological consequences of smoking in relation to the lungs and the circulatory system, including coronary heart disease"
Assuming you have the same textbook as me, it's more or less all on pages 30-34.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thefoodieteen
I'm thinking four/five/six markers on fish farming, genetic engineering, selective breeding, eutrophication, smoking, and probably an experimental design one as well. Hope the questions are mostly easy apart from those!

i just read the specification for paper 1, we dont need to know the biological consequences of eutrophication (algal bloom, etc. and bacteria feeding, anoxic water etc.) so i doubt a 6marker will come up, quite sad as this is actually what i knew quite well :/ we only have to, quote specification "Understand that eutrophication can result from leached minerals from fertiliser" and says "not required: biological consequences of pollution of water by sewage pagees 174-5)

hopefully a fish farming one though because i am moderately okay with that one :smile:
I am ridiculously worried about this exam, I'm doing double award science and i don't feel chemistry or physics went very well, so I'm relying on biology to pull up my grade. Does anyone have any good last minute exam tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miserabelia
I am ridiculously worried about this exam, I'm doing double award science and i don't feel chemistry or physics went very well, so I'm relying on biology to pull up my grade. Does anyone have any good last minute exam tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

best of luck!! don't worry too much about it i guess, since most of us found it hard as well!! i guess its normal if we found it hard...hopefully the grade boundaries would be much lower than any other of the past years!!

i'm sitting the biology exam tomorrow as well, but i do the triple award! im kinda rushing myself and doing last minute revision as well...i guess doing past papers help?? i feel that doing the past papers helps me know what sorta 'keywords' are meant to be in my 'answers', if that makes any sense :P

ONCE AGAIN - GOOD LUCK !!!! :smile:)
thank you so much! Good luck to you too. I also have my German exams tomorrow so I'm just going to be doing hardcore revision today for both. Thank you for your help :smile: I'll definitely give past papers a go

Posted from TSR Mobile
How confident is everyone for igcse biology tomorrow?:redface:
Original post by Me123456789
How confident is everyone for igcse biology tomorrow?:redface:

Not so very confident! I've revised loads and I'm still ridiculously nervous.. have gone through all the past papers multiple times, read the revision guide about four times in the last week and read through the entire textbook, but I'm still so scared that there will be a really difficult question!

Any predictions on grade boundaries? June '13 was 129/180 for an A*, but January '14 was 140/180 for A*..
any tips/things which are PRETTY likely to come up on the exam tmr? :frown:

BTW are you guys doing 1B or 1BR? :smile:
Original post by cutibess
any tips/things which are PRETTY likely to come up on the exam tmr? :frown:

BTW are you guys doing 1B or 1BR? :smile:

what is the difference??
All the past papers I've done have said 1B, never heard of 1BR...

The A* boundary is worrying! 140/180 is 78%... :s-smilie:

Also, where have you found the specification? Sounds like it could be useful to know what to revise!
Original post by tiannasaurus.rex
All the past papers I've done have said 1B, never heard of 1BR...

The A* boundary is worrying! 140/180 is 78%... :s-smilie:

Also, where have you found the specification? Sounds like it could be useful to know what to revise!

1BR is for a different region! (im from GMT +8 soo :smile:) we get a diff paper haha
the difficulty is the same as 1B, but our grade boundaries are diff so yee :smile:

and also, by specification, do u mean this http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/International%20GCSE%20from%202011/UG030030-International-GCSE-in-Biology-master-booklet-spec-Issue-3-SAMs-for-web-280212.pdf
Reply 33
Dunno what kind of a question will come up with planning an experiment :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by _Omi
Dunno what kind of a question will come up with planning an experiment :frown:

For experiments I would learn CORMS
Reply 35
Original post by zrk2014
For experiments I would learn CORMS

If u dont mind can u give me a summary of it coz i am very weak in that area :frown:
Reply 36
Actually nabbed this off the internet for my oqn notes but here you go!

C - control: always include a control in your experiment, eg for the light intensity leaf experiment have an empty test tube with just some indicator in it... O - organism: what organisms will be involved and what similarities do they need to have eg. same sex, age, health, ect R - repetition: how many repeats do you do to make it more practical? M - measurement: what do you plan to measure? eg growth length temperature weight size ect. S - standard: what do you need to keep the same? eg time, diet, oxygen, light intensities pH ect

QUOTE=_Omi;47650570]If u dont mind can u give me a summary of it coz i am very weak in that area :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by _Omi
If u dont mind can u give me a summary of it coz i am very weak in that area :frown:

is that understandable?
Could u tel me the main point for cloning in plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Apparently this paper will be quite hard as the chemistry one was easy? Was the Physics paper hard? I only do Biology so I have no idea...

Latest

Trending

Trending