Going to halls or staying in flat with friends

Watch
Lansaaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm going to university in September, in the city where I grew up. I'm not going to stay at home, so I've applied to halls. I haven't got any offers of accommodation yet, and I'm also thinking about moving in with some of my friends who are either going into first year like me or in second year. Does anyone have any recommendations for which would be better? I've heard you miss out on a lot of the social side of things if you don't go to halls, or is that just staying at home with your parents?
Mythological101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lansaaaa)
I'm going to university in September, in the city where I grew up. I'm not going to stay at home, so I've applied to halls. I haven't got any offers of accommodation yet, and I'm also thinking about moving in with some of my friends who are either going into first year like me or in second year. Does anyone have any recommendations for which would be better? I've heard you miss out on a lot of the social side of things if you don't go to halls, or is that just staying at home with your parents?
I can see the appeal of moving into a house with some of your friends as you have the comfort of knowing people, their habits etc and don't have to go through the process of meeting brand new people. But in all honesty, I think moving into halls would be the better idea. It's certainly a scary experience moving into halls for the first time, but it's really exciting as well as everyone will be in the exact same position as you in that they don't know anybody. You have the added bonus though of being from the city so you could show everyone were the best bars, pubs, clubs etc are during Freshers week, people will love you for that!
You'll probably be thrown out of your comfort zone living in halls but it's a great experience and you'll have the best time! It'll encourage you to mix more with people.
As for missing out on the social side of things, I don't think you'd be missing out too much if you lived in a house as I'm sure you and friends will have house parties, go out to clubs etc still but being in halls will introduce you to a new circle of people and it's always nice to make new friends!
I hope that helped
Ems_22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I definitely would've rented a house with friends/ my boyfriend if I'd have known how bad my halls would be. This would've been a much less stressful experience and so much cheaper!
Georgiina_Tee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Staying at home with your parents will cause you to miss out socially. I lived in a shared house with (once were) strangers and I had a ball at UNI!

Just get out there and be social

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (334)
83.71%
No (65)
16.29%

Watched Threads