EDEXCEL AS HISTORY EXAM (Trotsky's Leadership) Watch

asc01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I was just wondering what factors people included on the Trotsky's leadership question on the May 14th paper. See, I'm sort of nervous due to the fact that the period was from 1917-24 yet I essentially only discussed matters from 1918 to 24 as initially assumed the question was addressing events which took place following 1917. Which, in hindsight was perhaps a stupid idea. Anyway, do you think it would still be possible to get a C on the exam paper for other factors included without detail on the October/November Revolution? Oh, and if any of you sat the exam too I hope all went well! Thanks
Buckybarnes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You couldn't have done any worse than me - I literally blanked on Trotsky and basically just said that he was a good leader :/
asc01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Buckybarnes)
You couldn't have done any worse than me - I literally blanked on Trotsky and basically just said that he was a good leader :/
I'm sure you won't have done too badly! There were other sides to the argument that didn't involve Trotsky so it should be alright. Hope you get the results you want anyway
Buckybarnes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asc01)
I'm sure you won't have done too badly! There were other sides to the argument that didn't involve Trotsky so it should be alright. Hope you get the results you want anyway
Thanks, I hope you get what you want too! I think taking into account my other question I should average a C
Mel1312
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asc01)
So, I was just wondering what factors people included on the Trotsky's leadership question on the May 14th paper. See, I'm sort of nervous due to the fact that the period was from 1917-24 yet I essentially only discussed matters from 1918 to 24 as initially assumed the question was addressing events which took place following 1917. Which, in hindsight was perhaps a stupid idea. Anyway, do you think it would still be possible to get a C on the exam paper for other factors included without detail on the October/November Revolution? Oh, and if any of you sat the exam too I hope all went well! Thanks
I sort of spilt up his role in the October Revolution as head of the MRC since the question did say you could acknowledge the October Revolution and his work with the Red Guards seizing key communication areas such as post offices. I also talked about his role in the Civil War and his brutality of his treatment towards Tsarist troops. I also discussed the signing of the Treaty of Brest Litvosk but acknowledged Lenin should be further attributed towards it.
asc01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mel1312)
I sort of spilt up his role in the October Revolution as head of the MRC since the question did say you could acknowledge the October Revolution and his work with the Red Guards seizing key communication areas such as post offices. I also talked about his role in the Civil War and his brutality of his treatment towards Tsarist troops. I also discussed the signing of the Treaty of Brest Litvosk but acknowledged Lenin should be further attributed towards it.
Yeah, I probably should have included the October revolution, it really would have made sense to haha oh god. I also included the Civil War and Trotsky's use of terror against Tsarist troops and the weakness of opposition etc, I mentioned the dissolution of the Constituent assembly too and policies of Lenin such as the NEP and War Communism. I'm sure you'll have done great and thanks for the reply!
Hayleighs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't do that question but so wished I did!!
would've wrote about;
the failure of the provisional government - (1917)
Trotsky's leadership - touring the front line to boost morale and the Red Terror
War Communism - possibly linked in with terror but it's a Leninist policy
weakness of the opposition - geographically dispersed allowing red army to pick off each unit individually ( Deniken, Yudenich,Kolchak) unable to unite on a single aim to make a formidable anti-communist force - Deniken promising Yudenich's army support but instead deserting them due to lack of consensus, leading to Yudenich's army being almost defeated.

I done the question on economy and government changing between the years 1881-1914, really wished I didn't because I would've done so much better with Trotsky.

Did anyone else do the Stalin question on war production?
Mel1312
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asc01)
Yeah, I probably should have included the October revolution, it really would have made sense to haha oh god. I also included the Civil War and Trotsky's use of terror against Tsarist troops and the weakness of opposition etc, I mentioned the dissolution of the Constituent assembly too and policies of Lenin such as the NEP and War Communism. I'm sure you'll have done great and thanks for the reply!
You sound like you really have a broad range of factors and considering model answers don't have all the factors all the time and still get As, I hope you do really well
asc01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hayleighs)
would've wrote about;
Trotsky's leadership - touring the front line to boost morale and the Red Terror
weakness of the opposition - geographically dispersed allowing red army to pick off each unit individually ( Deniken, Yudenich,Kolchak) unable to unite on a single aim to make a formidable anti-communist force - Deniken promising Yudenich's army support but instead deserting them due to lack of consensus, leading to Yudenich's army being almost defeated.

I done the question on economy and government changing between the years 1881-1914, really wished I didn't because I would've done so much better with Trotsky.

Yeah I did the war production question too, just talked about five year plans, lend lease programme and weakness of German forces such as battle of Stalingrad, the delaying of operation Barbarossa and the general winter
Hayleighs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asc01)
Yeah I did the war production question too, just talked about five year plans, lend lease programme and weakness of German forces such as battle of Stalingrad, the delaying of operation Barbarossa and the general winter
ah thank god, we wrote about virtually the same thing except I wrote about the battle of kursk, feeling a bit more confident about the results now that someone had done the same!
Mel1312
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hayleighs)
would've wrote about;

I did the question on Stalin's war production. I was totally buffling it though to be honest as I knew the other factors really well but this one was like waaahh. Ah well, I think I acknowledged it enough for a level 4 but not a level 5 I think :/
asc01
Rep:
?
You sound like you really have a broad range of factors and considering model answers don't have all the factors all the time and still get As, I hope you do really well
Thank you so much! Yours sounded great, I hope you do really well too
Hayleighs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did the question on Stalin's war production. I was totally buffling it though to be honest as I knew the other factors really well but this one was like waaahh. Ah well, I think I acknowledged it enough for a level 4 but not a level 5 I think :/
im sure you done fine haha!! When i was finished i was totally confused as to whether or not it went well ( like sometimes you can be like it was easy and others like it was horrible). I hope that I included enough for a high level4/5 though
dgham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the exact same boat as you OP. I came out thinking I wrote a really good answer to the Trotsky question, but then remembered I hadn't included the October revolution, so I've spent the last 24 hours extremely worried!! Mel1312's post about not needing all the factors makes me feel slightly better though.

I concluded that Trotsky's leadership was more important to Bolshevik successes because he masterminded the Bolsheviks' win in the civil war, which was a LEGITIMATE threat, whereas Lenin's policies dealt with POTENTIAL threat. Does that sound like a decent argument to you guys? Pretty concerned about that aspect of my answer.

I answered the Stalin war production question, literally spent a few minutes just sat there wondering whether to do that or the 1928-38 question, which is probably why I didn't get to finish the conclusion. My Stalin answer was far more rushed than my Trotsky answer, In intro I said a variety of factors contributed to the USSR's WW2 victory such as efforts of workers to maintain war production, but when compared with FYPs and lend lease programme it wasn't as important.

Opening paragraph, I talked about how the workers were motivated by it being promoted as 'the Great Patriotic War' and also Stalin moving production over the rural mountains which allowed them to continue production in long run. I then wrote a paragraph about the FYPs gearing up the USSR for war, thus giving credit to Stalin, and then about the lend lease programme, and how it gave the USSR an advantage over the Germans by having 'guns' AND 'butter', while the Germans just focused on 'guns'. In hindsight I would have liked to talk about homo sovieticus and how the Russian soldiers were better suited to the conditions than the Germans.

My concluding paragraph to that was literally "In conclusion, the efforts of the workers in maintaining war production, but Stalin's propaganda and five year plans were as well, and LLPs." Didn't get to mention that they were MORE important, and WHY they were, although I discussed their importance in my paras about them. So yeah, pretty worried about that one too.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I done the other question it was far easier

you needed to talk about alexender III counter forms, Nikolai Bunge, Ivan Vshynegradsky and peter stolypin

and you pretty much done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads