The Student Room Group

GCSE History Exam TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHH HELP

Anyone who got A/A* in GCSE history! I learnt the topics a year ago and i am going over them! I barely know the dates (how can i improve this?) and I know some of the contents I used to get B but then i am getting Cs!!
Reply 1
Original post by Fallen Wings
Anyone who got A/A* in GCSE history! I learnt the topics a year ago and i am going over them! I barely know the dates (how can i improve this?) and I know some of the contents I used to get B but then i am getting Cs!!

i am in the exact same boat, what are you topics?
Reply 2
I got A* in the American mock, and A in German. What toic are you doing?
Reply 3
Are you doing the first three topics? I could help as i have to tomorrow too
Reply 4

What exam board is this? And topics? I got an A in GCSE history (one mark off an A* ffs)
I would be happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah! Tell us quickly, I'm doing WJEC. America and Germany option.
Reply 6
Im doing aqa B and the first 3 options
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Ah right I did WJEC, America, China and Arab-Israeli Conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing AQA, Medicine and Germany.
Medicine's the one tomorrow. I got only a couple of marks off an A* in my mock so I'm pretty hopeful.
Well i think i can probably just throw something in there for your revision i usually get A* in my mocks, but im also struggling for the real things.

when doing usa, get an a3 paper and divide you paper into 3
on the first row, write the names of the events and dates. On the next two write each topic in very simplistic terms e.g simply facts and figures things which you are likely to forget. Also make sure to write participants- who was involved etc. so in one night try to memorise the first section (dates and names of events) and then on the other nigts revise around 2 events summary facts and figures.
Venomclaw, how deeply do we need to go into the individuals, e.g. Koch, Pasteur, Vesalius, and Nightingale?
Original post by Winchyboy
Venomclaw, how deeply do we need to go into the individuals, e.g. Koch, Pasteur, Vesalius, and Nightingale?

I'm not certain - so don't blame me if I'm wrong.
You probably only need basic knowledge of things like: time period, some dates if there are any, name (surname is ok), what they did to improve disease & infection/public health/surgery and anatomy.

From what my teacher said, it's not so much about them like when they were born, their background etc, but how they affected society and factored into changes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Goodluck my coursework is a* fairly confident about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those doing AQA Medicine: If you need to do some more revision I recommend you have a go with the memrise website - just google memrise, make an account, click browse and then type History of Medicine GCSE, then click the picture of Leonardo da Vinci's vitruvian man and start learning - I've found it really useful. The website has a weird garden metaphor but you quickly get used to it. It's really good for remembering key facts. Hope it's helpful for your exam!
Reply 14
OCR Germany, Cold War and Vietnam
Reply 15
Original post by tjhardy
Im doing aqa B and the first 3 options

Same xD
I got an A* last year, the best way I would say for learning dates is little flashcards, they worked wonders for me, because if you make a mistake it is more memorable and you will learn quicker. Best of luck to all :smile:

Quick Reply