How to get an A* in GCSE History Watch

ollyc123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have my GCSE History exam on Medicine Through Time exam tomorrow (Edexcel). Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to get an A* i.e. PEE point structure etc? Thanks
project_legacy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ollyc123)
I have my GCSE History exam on Medicine Through Time exam tomorrow (Edexcel). Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to get an A* i.e. PEE point structure etc? Thanks
I do OCR Modern World History, but I assume this advice can be applied to most exams. It might sound obvious, but make sure you know how to answer each question. Although content is important, it is extremely necessary that you know how the exam board wants you to answer each question. For example, if a question if 4 marks, you (usually) only need 4 points. But if a question is 8 marks, it is (again, usually) around 3 well-developed explanations.
0zzy94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm turning 20 in one month, 4 years ago I took the exact same exam (Edexcel, medicine) I got an A* and went on to get an A in A-level History.

It's hard giving advice like this, know your stuff and practice essay structure,.

Finally, the most important thing: Detail! Lots and lots and lots of detail! Imagine your talking to an idiot from 500BC, explain every little inch to the maximum. In the end you'll know you did this if you wrote a lot of pages. Avoid outright clutter though.

Obviously its possible to still achieve an A* with less writing, but it's a good safety net if you get me.

Good luck, and remember... Whether you get a B or A* has absolutely no effect on the rest of your life. At the time it was so important, now I look back at laugh: If I'd got a C in that exam I'd still be in the same place.
ollyc123
Rep:
?
(Original post by project_legacy)
I do OCR Modern World History, but I assume this advice can be applied to most exams. It might sound obvious, but make sure you know how to answer each question. Although content is important, it is extremely necessary that you know how the exam board wants you to answer each question. For example, if a question if 4 marks, you (usually) only need 4 points. But if a question is 8 marks, it is (again, usually) around 3 well-developed explanations.
For a 9 mark question for a example, I usually aim for 4-5 points as I usually try to do half the amount of marks for the points i.e. 6 points for 12 marks, but sometimes it is hard to do that
ollyc123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0zzy94)
I'm turning 20 in one month, 4 years ago I took the exact same exam (Edexcel, medicine) I got an A* and went on to get an A in A-level History.

It's hard giving advice like this, know your stuff and practice essay structure,.

Finally, the most important thing: Detail! Lots and lots and lots of detail! Imagine your talking to an idiot from 500BC, explain every little inch to the maximum. In the end you'll know you did this if you wrote a lot of pages. Avoid outright clutter though.

Obviously its possible to still achieve an A* with less writing, but it's a good safety net if you get me.

Good luck, and remember... Whether you get a B or A* has absolutely no effect on the rest of your life. At the time it was so important, now I look back at laugh: If I'd got a C in that exam I'd still be in the same place.
Thanks, highly appreciated, and congratulations on your GCSE and A-Level Results! Tips from others would be highly appreciated also!
ollyc123
Rep:
?
Does anyone reccomend a particular structure to use in the essay writing (especially the 16 mark question)? I usually start with my point, write a sentence about it and then the effect of it on Medicine (one or two sentences). Any other tips/structures anyone else uses to get A/A*?
mejgansmiles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have the exam tomorrow! Edexcel medicine through time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
0zzy94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone reccomend a particular structure to use in the essay writing (especially the 16 mark question)? I usually start with my point, write a sentence about it and then the effect of it on Medicine (one or two sentences). Any other tips/structures anyone else uses to get A/A*?
How did it go? I forgot to mention having examples of how a certain medicine was significant blows the examiner away.

i.e death rates, mortality etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise