Germany achieves 74% renewable energy usage

Watch
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ener...enewables.html

74% of the energy being consumed by Germany comes from renewable sources (mainly solar and wind). Why can't we achieve this?!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
that was a freak outlier on one day - year round it's nowhere near 74%

OTOH Germany gets it's baseload from lignite - the most polluting, least green form of coal http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26988695

when the sun isn't shining on the PV cells and the wind isn't blowing on the wind turbine people don't just stop needing electricity.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
At the cost of soaring prices, hurting both businesses and families.

Germany's prices are now 48% above the European average, and 80% higher in real terms than in 2000. That's grim for everyone who happens to live in Germany, especially for an economy reliant on manufacturing. But hey, they're not burning as much fossil fuels, leading to a negligible impact on global carbon emissions which may or may not have any tangible benefit. Yay.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
At the cost of soaring prices, hurting both businesses and families.

Germany's prices are now 48% above the European average, and 80% higher in real terms than in 2000. That's grim for everyone who happens to live in Germany, especially for an economy reliant on manufacturing. But hey, they're not burning as much fossil fuels, leading to a negligible impact on global carbon emissions which may or may not have any tangible benefit. Yay.
Renewable sources are becoming more efficient and competitive, but fossil fuel prices are only going to go up in the long term. Germany's drive towards renewables will pay off.

And is there any evidence that those energy price rises are caused by the use of renewables?
MindTheGaps
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Renewable sources are becoming more efficient and competitive, but fossil fuel prices are only going to go up in the long term. Germany's drive towards renewables will pay off.

And is there any evidence that those energy price rises are caused by the use of renewables?
Given that we live in a Europe-wide energy market, such large price discrepancies can only be explained by energy policy. In Germany especially, this has been marked by the high funding of renewables and financial penalisation of fossil fuels. That these increase the price of energy is not controversial, it has almost been the explicit aim.

And the problem with your logic is that whilst renewables undoubtedly will become more efficient, as a consequence of our ever increasing technology so will fossil fuels. If the markets believed renewables genuinely had the potential to outperform carbon we wouldn't need the government to fund industry investment as dearly as it does. We needed not fund shale gas research, for instance, because it's likely to be actually profitable.

This is to say that, yes, like Germany we could meet the majority of our energy needs through renewables. But, also like Germany, this would come at the cost of higher prices (and let's be honest, they're not low now) which would hamstring both the economy and households. I do not think it would be a popular choice.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
Given that we live in a Europe-wide energy market, such large price discrepancies can only be explained by energy policy. In Germany especially, this has been marked by the high funding of renewables and financial penalisation of fossil fuels. That these increase the price of energy is not controversial, it has almost been the explicit aim.

And the problem with your logic is that whilst renewables undoubtedly will become more efficient, as a consequence of our ever increasing technology so will fossil fuels. If the markets believed renewables genuinely had the potential to outperform carbon we wouldn't need the government to fund industry investment as dearly as it does. We needed not fund shale gas research, for instance, because it's likely to be actually profitable.

This is to say that, yes, like Germany we could meet the majority of our energy needs through renewables. But, also like Germany, this would come at the cost of higher prices (and let's be honest, they're not low now) which would hamstring both the economy and households. I do not think it would be a popular choice.
Fossil fuels become more expensive because reserves will start to run out and a lot of remaining reserves are in difficult areas to extract from. Technology isn't going to bring back the era of cheap fossil fuels. But it is making renewable sources more efficient and competitive.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
that was a freak outlier on one day - year round it's nowhere near 74%

OTOH Germany gets it's baseload from lignite - the most polluting, least green form of coal http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26988695

when the sun isn't shining on the PV cells and the wind isn't blowing on the wind turbine people don't just stop needing electricity.
They also import a lot if natural gas from Russia and nuclear generated electricity from France.

All this after months of Germany struggling with power generation.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fossil fuels become more expensive because reserves will start to run out and a lot of remaining reserves are in difficult areas to extract from. Technology isn't going to bring back the era of cheap fossil fuels. But it is making renewable sources more efficient and competitive.
Although I agree with your sentiments, the price of these ever dwindling economies remaining relatively stable and in many cases dropping shows the complete opposite.

A balanced approach to energy generation is needed. Fossil, nuclear and renewable . To rely just on renewable is just sheer folly.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is really misleading. This is a one day high because of the weather. Germany has a good renewable infrastructure but they are actually an incredibly polluting country because whilst they use a lot of renewables, they also use a massive amount of the cheapest, dirtiest coal which offsets most of the benefits they get from their renewables. Yes, they're better than us, but don't delude yourself into thinking that they're great. Germany's renewables policy is going down the drain thanks to spending cuts.
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they are very efficient. they are known for that.
MindTheGaps
Report 6 years ago
Technology means that it is ever more efficient to extract from 'difficult' areas. Look at shale, 20 years ago it was stuck in useless deposits no one could get to. Now it's caused the energy prices in America to plummet, invigorating their economy, and it's looking like it could be a boon here too.

That said, sooner or later someone (probably China) will get a commercially-viable fusion reactor going and all our energy needs will be solved.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This may just be a single day but it's a good step forward. Hopefully over time the technology will continue to develop to a point where all year round at least half comes from renewable sources. At that point i believe the UK should join them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads