The Student Room Group

Chemistry edexcel c1 15th may 2014 - exam thoughts?

How do you guys think the exam went - on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest) I reckon it was a good 9 for me. I found it rather easy and was pleased with both 6 marks questions. What do you guys think? Discuss any answers to any exam questions you remember please..

Scroll to see replies

I found this test really nice, I was expecting it to be hard but it wasn't.
:smile:
I thought overall the paper was really good, but the electrolysis appartus chlorine 6 marker was a little hard to word!!:?
Reply 3
Original post by Sugardollaps007
I thought overall the paper was really good, but the electrolysis appartus chlorine 6 marker was a little hard to word!!:?

It just required basic knowledge really, I'm sure you did really well. All I wrote was how the apparatus are used and then further elaborated to say the Hydrogen (cations) go to the cathode and the chlorine (anions) go to the anode after being decomposed in solution by electrical energy from a d.c supply. Then spoke about the two chemical tests to show that hydrogen and chlorine were present. I think the paper was really good that can only mean the grade boundaries will be really high - hopefully we all get A's - A*'s :biggrin::smile::cool:
Original post by Radicalteen
It just required basic knowledge really, I'm sure you did really well. All I wrote was how the apparatus are used and then further elaborated to say the Hydrogen (cations) go to the cathode and the chlorine (anions) go to the anode after being decomposed in solution by electrical energy from a d.c supply. Then spoke about the two chemical tests to show that hydrogen and chlorine were present. I think the paper was really good that can only mean the grade boundaries will be really high - hopefully we all get A's - A*'s :biggrin::smile::cool:

**** , I didn't write anything like that but I still think I got at least 3/4 marks so I'm happy :smile:

I normally do really **** on 6 mark q's :tongue:

Definitely didnt get six marks then probably just get four maximum!!! Anyway, physics tomorrow agh!

Just wondering, would saying positive and negative electrode be the same as the cathode and the anode? :O
Reply 7
Original post by Jacobisswaggy
Just wondering, would saying positive and negative electrode be the same as the cathode and the anode? :O

In C1 probably yes.
In C3 it probably wouldn't be.

Yes, it is :smile:
I think 9/10 but it's around a 7/10 now after realising that most mentioned cathodes and anodes and I mentioned none of that. I think I got 6/6 for the metals 6 marker though.

Now just Physics tomorrow and Core Science is done - and then onto the horrid Additional Science!
Original post by yellowcopter
I think 9/10 but it's around a 7/10 now after realising that most mentioned cathodes and anodes and I mentioned none of that. I think I got 6/6 for the metals 6 marker though.

Now just Physics tomorrow and Core Science is done - and then onto the horrid Additional Science!

Don't worry - you'd probably only lose one mark if you didn't state that - I'm sure there was loads of points to put in order to get marks. :smile:
Original post by Parallex
In C1 probably yes.
In C3 it probably wouldn't be.

Okie dokie, thanks. :smile:
Don't worry - you'd probably only lose one mark if you didn't state that - I'm sure there was loads of points to put in order to get marks. :smile:

Yeah, I literally explained EVERYTHING else. :tongue: Can't remember whether I mentioned that the electricity source could be a power brick or not, I hope so because I think that'll be a crucial mark. :frown: I remember definitely writing the tests for which gas is hydrogen and which is chlorine though which will definitely get me marks thankfully!

Good luck to everyone with P1 tomorrow. :biggrin:
Yeah, I literally explained EVERYTHING else. :tongue: Can't remember whether I mentioned that the electricity source could be a power brick or not, I hope so because I think that'll be a crucial mark. :frown: I remember definitely writing the tests for which gas is hydrogen and which is chlorine though which will definitely get me marks thankfully!

Good luck to everyone with P1 tomorrow. :biggrin:

Yup yup, I did that too - I did an explanation of the experiment, a diagram for the experiment, wrote about the positive and negative electrodes and which electrodes the chlorine and hydrogen went to, I wrote about the tests for hydrogen and chlorine. I don't think I wrote about much else, but I can't remember too well. :P

And, good luck to you too! :smile:
Yup yup, I did that too - I did an explanation of the experiment, a diagram for the experiment, wrote about the positive and negative electrodes and which electrodes the chlorine and hydrogen went to, I wrote about the tests for hydrogen and chlorine. I don't think I wrote about much else, but I can't remember too well. :P

And, good luck to you too! :smile:

That's what I did, I literally just explained what each piece of equipment is for, how it's all put together, where the hydrogen and chlorine go and then how to distinguish between hydrogen and chlorine gas (the tests). Then I just drew the typical electrolysis diagram and a diagram demonstrating the two tests. :tongue:

Thanks. :biggrin:
That's what I did, I literally just explained what each piece of equipment is for, how it's all put together, where the hydrogen and chlorine go and then how to distinguish between hydrogen and chlorine gas (the tests). Then I just drew the typical electrolysis diagram and a diagram demonstrating the two tests. :tongue:

Thanks. :biggrin:

I didn't do diagrams for the chlorine and hydrogen tests, I just did the electrolysis diagram - I only described the chlorine and hydrogen tests in words because I couldn't fit a diagram in :O
What was the answer to Rock A and Rock B question? :O like which ones had smaller crystals and took longer to cool?
Reply 17
10 :smile: I'm very pleased to the fact that how easy that Chemistry exam was. The thing is, for electrolysis, I didn't draw a diagram and lost a few marks there. Overall, I think I got 53, hopefully that's an A*
Original post by oni176
10 :smile: I'm very pleased to the fact that how easy that Chemistry exam was. The thing is, for electrolysis, I didn't draw a diagram and lost a few marks there. Overall, I think I got 53, hopefully that's an A*

I don't think you had to draw a diagram; I think it said 'you may use a diagram to support your answer' and not 'use a diagram'.
Reply 19
Oh, really? That's what I thought, but when everyone in my class said you had to draw a diagram, or otherwise you'll lose marks. That's good, then :smile: This means between 53-54.

Quick Reply

Latest