AQA Chemistry C2 15/05/2014 Higher unofficial markscheme Watch

This discussion is closed.
xsellize
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You're welcome. Might post C3 later on if you guys want it.

C2

Name the ingredient from the drink (1)
Phosphoric acid[1]
Which ion does the add have (1)
H+[1]
What would you use to draw the line for the paper chromatography and why (2)
Pencil[1] Not seperated by solvent[1]
What three conclusions can be made from the paper chromatography (3)
More food colouring present in cola[1] Less Food colouring present in fruit juice[1] More food colouring in cola than fruit juice[1]
Bonding in metals (3)
What happens at negative electrode with electrolysis of molten molten Zinc Chloride (3)
Zn+2 gains 2 electrons[1] Reduced[1] Plates cathode[1]
Why is the compound made molten (1)
Ions free to move[1]
Half equation at positive electrode (1)
Comparison of the two substances (6)
Giant Ionic latice[1] Strong electrostatic forces of attraction[1] High boiling/melting point[1] Weak intermolecular forces[1] Low boiling/melting point[1] Simple covalent bond[1]
Why the mixture can be separated in to compounds in the column (1)
Substances with a greater affinity for the stationary phase move more slowly through the column.[1]
Explain how ionic bonds are formed in magnesium oxide (4)
Mg donates two electrons[1] Full outer shell[1] Noble gas configuration[1]
Why the fullerene is good as a Lubricant (2)
Spherical structure[2] graphite has 3 layers that bond with weak intermolecular forces, which is why they slide over each other easily and thus fullerene/graphite is a good lubricant.[3]
Why graphite can conduct electricity(2)
3 Carbon atoms bond[1] Delocalized electron[1]
Which catalyst is better AB (2)
B Larger surface area[1] More collisions[1]
Why does glass have a high melting point (1)
Formula for sodium sulphate (1)
Na2SO4 [1]
Balance equation (2)
How can you tell from the equation that high temps were required(1)
Define endothermic (1)
Takes in heat energy from surroundings[1]
Define activation energy (1)
Minimum energy required to begin reaction[1]
Conclusions from graph about nano particles and bacteria killed (2)
7nm Best[1] Larger worse[1]
Why would it be better to take more readings (1)
Repeatable results[1]
How does increasing pressure effect the rate of the reaction (3)
Higher ROR favours side with least moles[1] More collisions[1] Particles smaller volume of space to collide in[1]
How would you increase the rate of the reaction other than using a catalyst (1)
Surface area[1] Concentration[1] Temperature[1] Pressure[1]
Reacting mass calculation (3)
Percentage yield (2)
75%[1]
Why actual yield is different to the predicted yield (1)
Incomplete reaction[1]
Covalent bonds in oxygen (2)
OxxxxO [1]
Which statement can be answered by science (1)
B[1]
Give two reasons why the other statements 6661 be answered by science alone (2)
Opinion[1] Scientific proof[1]
Why potassium wasn't used by the students (2)
potassium manganate(VII)/permanganate is a strong oxidising agent and can explode on contact with organic matter[2]
badaman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Woahhh cheers But cba now the exam is done :/
james1202
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
helpful, could you do c3?
james1202
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
also b2 and b3 would be nice if you have them? thanks alot
mickel_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xsellize)

Just wondering, how did you make this? Did you happen to remember all these questions and put them down as your answers or does your teacher or someone already have access to the paper?
xsellize
Rep:
?
(Original post by mickel_w)
[/CENTER]

Just wondering, how did you make this? Did you happen to remember all these questions and put them down as your answers or does your teacher or someone already have access to the paper?
Just remembered them..
mickel_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

C2
Why the fullerene is good as a Lubricant (2)
Spherical structure[2]
Would this not have been 1 mark for spherical structure and 1 mark for stating it is 'soft and slippery', as the question stated it had similar properties to carbon?
Dneep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=xsellize;47612562]You're welcome. Might post C3 later on if you guys want it.

Surface area[1] Concentration[1]

Why is temperature not a possible answer?! I'm sure increasing the temperature gives particles more kinetic energy to collide with other particles, resulting in successful collisions, and therefore increasing the rate of reaction!?
skulliz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I noticed in that fullerene question that it said the fulleren had 'one layer of graphite'. You had to say that graphite has 3 layers that bond with weak intermolecular forces, which is why they slide over each other easily and thus fullerene/graphite is a good lubricant. They tried to trick you by saying 'one layer' of graphite, but you just had to remember the properties of graphite to get the marks
annabelstevens
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah, increasing temp would be accepted
xsellize
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Dneep;47622827]

Surface area[1] Concentration[1]

Why is temperature not a possible answer?! I'm sure increasing the temperature gives particles more kinetic energy to collide with other particles, resulting in successful collisions, and therefore increasing the rate of reaction!?
Temperature is one and pressure is another. If you explained it like that then you got the mark

(Original post by skulliz)
I noticed in that fullerene question that it said the fulleren had 'one layer of graphite'. You had to say that graphite has 3 layers that bond with weak intermolecular forces, which is why they slide over each other easily and thus fullerene/graphite is a good lubricant. They tried to trick you by saying 'one layer' of graphite, but you just had to remember the properties of graphite to get the marks
Indeed so. I did in fact put that down, too. But, it was added to my explanation. My explanation was a little over GCSE level but nonetheless with the part which you said (which I included) I should get the 3 marks. I'll add that to the mark scheme though!
Dneep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=xsellize;47633302]
(Original post by Dneep)

Temperature is one and pressure is another. If you explained it like that then you got the mark

Indeed so. I did in fact put that down, too. But, it was added to my explanation. My explanation was a little over GCSE level but nonetheless with the part which you said (which I included) I should get the 3 marks. I'll add that to the mark scheme though!

Thank you for you reply! Also, I have another question. For the reacting masses question i got 1.6 tonnes instead of 2 tonnes, however i did do the working outs correctly according to my relative formula mass of 2MgO (I got 64, not 80). How many marks will I get, because i'm sure you get marks for ECF's (Error carried forward)?
I did 64/48*1.2=1.6 tonnes, though i was supposed to do 80/48*1.2=2 tonnes.
Monkey fly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya! Thank you so much for this! Could you pretty please do C3 aswell? Thank you so much!!
sophie0098
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please could you do a c3
skulliz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, glad to see you added that in. Also, the three conclusions about paper chromotography weren't strong enough to get three marks IMO, I think you needed to say that they had food colouring of the same type in both Cola and the fruit drink (1), and also say that: they had different colours to each other as well (1), which means that they could potentially be harmful because they both have unknown colourings (1)...I think x)
violetvictorious
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
B2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ak983
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"What three conclusions can be made from the paper chromatography (3)
More food colouring present in cola[1] Less Food colouring present in fruit juice[1] More food colouring in cola than fruit juice[1]"

I would say that you'd probably get a mark for mentioning that they used the same food colouring in both.
grandom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey what was the answer to the last question about whether the students observation was right. The student wrote iron bromide but he was wrong because it was iron(II) iodide. Is That along with an explanation the answer
skulliz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ak983)
"What three conclusions can be made from the paper chromatography (3)
More food colouring present in cola[1] Less Food colouring present in fruit juice[1] More food colouring in cola than fruit juice[1]"

I would say that you'd probably get a mark for mentioning that they used the same food colouring in both.
Yeah for sure, I mean I said they have a similar food colouring but they also have different food colourings, and because the different food colourings aren't known, they are potentially harmless. Don't know if I get the 3 marks though hehe
PointDexter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Dneep;47634691]

Thank you for you reply! Also, I have another question. For the reacting masses question i got 1.6 tonnes instead of 2 tonnes, however i did do the working outs correctly according to my relative formula mass of 2MgO (I got 64, not 80). How many marks will I get, because i'm sure you get marks for ECF's (Error carried forward)?
I did 64/48*1.2=1.6 tonnes, though i was supposed to do 80/48*1.2=2 tonnes.
I made this mistake also...lets hope we get 2 if not 1 for our efforts
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?