The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And also in the pre-release material could someone please explain what is meant by doping? :redface:
Reply 41
Original post by DanielCook95
And also in the pre-release material could someone please explain what is meant by doping? :redface:

Doping is normally used with semiconductors to improve their conductivity by increasing the number of charge carriers in the lattice.
It involves adding impurities to the crystalline semiconductor (usually Germanium or Silicon).
P type doping is the addition of a Group V non metal impurity (electron donor) that donates one electron per atom to carry charge.
N type doping is the addition of a Group III non metal impurity (electron acceptor) that creates positive holes in the electron structure, and the movement of these holes also effectively carries charge (they move in the opposite direction that electrons would).
Hope that helps.
Reply 42
Could someone give me some brief details about how EMF induction is affected by current please? For example on Q10c on January 2012;

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79604-question-paper-unit-g495-field-and-particle-pictures.pdf

It confuses me so much. I'm sure it's hardly mentioned in the revision guide and it feel's like it keeps popping up. I understand that a current carring wire has a magnetic field and an alternating current induces magnetic flux etc but I'm more on about that question specifically. Thank you!

The rotor coil has an input direct current. This gives it a constant magnetic field. It spins around and so it experiences a change in magnetic field as it turns past the stator which has a constant magnetic field too due to a direct current coil around it. Due to the rotor coil experiencing a changing magnetic field this induces an EMF in the coil and thus a current bit this opposes the change that caused due to Lenz's law - I.e. it is a current in the opposite direction to the original current and so the current in the rotor coil reduces.

That is my interpretation at least. If anybody could confirm this or provide an alternative answer that would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
In response to the above post, @DanielCook95 @ RATKING

I agree with most of what you say apart from one major point.

"The rotor coil has an input direct current. This gives it a constant magnetic field." - I agree with this.

"It spins around and so it experiences a change in magnetic field as it turns past the stator which has a constant magnetic field too due to a direct current coil around it." - this is not correct.

If a DC current was used in the stator coil to magnetise the stator core, the rotor would NOT turn, but be locked in position. The inclusion of a commutator would be required somewhere in the motor design to induce rotation in the rotor to 'simulate' an alternating magnetic field. This is a far more simple motor.
There is in fact an alternating current present in the stator coil which provides an alternating magnetic field in the stator core. This alternating magnetic field then interacts with the constant magnetic field of the rotor and induces motion in the rotor.
I understand that by referring to the motor as a 'd.c. motor' in the exam paper it could be somewhat misleading. But the design shown would simply not work if there was no a.c. current in the stator coil. For that very reason I don't like referring to them as a.c. motors and d.c. motors, but rather asynchronous motors and synchronous motors respectively. Worth a wiki if you're not too stressed out already!

Back to the original question as to how the emf in the rotor coil is being affected. As stated above:
"Due to the rotor coil experiencing a changing magnetic field this induces an EMF in the coil and thus a current..."
I agree with the point you make. To add to this - as the motor turns, flux of the magnetic circuit passes through the rotor and is linked with the rotor coil. So now you have a rate of change of flux linkage, aka emf in the rotor coil.
As the motor spools up to its operating RPM, the rotation speed increases. Now you have an even greater rate of changing flux, and so an even greater emf/current is induced in the rotor coil as the rotor spins faster.

This emf being induced in the rotor coil is, as once again stated above, opposing the applied emf of the d.c. current in the stator coil as a result of Lenz's Law.
Lenz's Law goes something along the lines of:

"An induced electromotive force (emf) always gives rise to a current that opposes the current that gave rise to it."

It's a result of the conservation of energy - you can't get something for nothing! I.e. If you're going to produce a current, you must have first taken it away from the original current, and so the original (applied) current gets smaller. Hence why we see the emf in the rotor coil get smaller the faster it spins.

Hope this helps in some way :wink: sorry I couldn't quote posts - not sure if you can as a non-member.

edit: turns out I had to sign up anyway to post :L
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by 188GTS
In response to the above post, @DanielCook95 @ RATKING

I agree with most of what you say apart from one major point.

"The rotor coil has an input direct current. This gives it a constant magnetic field." - I agree with this.

"It spins around and so it experiences a change in magnetic field as it turns past the stator which has a constant magnetic field too due to a direct current coil around it." - this is not correct.

If a DC current was used in the stator coil to magnetise the stator core, the rotor would NOT turn, but be locked in position. The inclusion of a commutator would be required somewhere in the motor design to induce rotation in the rotor to 'simulate' an alternating magnetic field. This is a far more simple motor.
There is in fact an alternating current present in the stator coil which provides an alternating magnetic field in the stator core. This alternating magnetic field then interacts with the constant magnetic field of the rotor and induces motion in the rotor.
I understand that by referring to the motor as a 'd.c. motor' in the exam paper it could be somewhat misleading. But the design shown would simply not work if there was no a.c. current in the stator coil. For that very reason I don't like referring to them as a.c. motors and d.c. motors, but rather asynchronous motors and synchronous motors respectively. Worth a wiki if you're not too stressed out already!

Back to the original question as to how the emf in the rotor coil is being affected. As stated above:
"Due to the rotor coil experiencing a changing magnetic field this induces an EMF in the coil and thus a current..."
I agree with the point you make. To add to this - as the motor turns, flux of the magnetic circuit passes through the rotor and is linked with the rotor coil. So now you have a rate of change of flux linkage, aka emf in the rotor coil.
As the motor spools up to its operating RPM, the rotation speed increases. Now you have an even greater rate of changing flux, and so an even greater emf/current is induced in the rotor coil as the rotor spins faster.

This emf being induced in the rotor coil is, as once again stated above, opposing the applied emf of the d.c. current in the stator coil as a result of Lenz's Law.

"An induced electromotive force (emf) always gives rise to a current that opposes the current that gave rise to it."

It's a result of the conservation of energy - you can't get something for nothing! I.e. If you're going to produce a current, you must have first taken it away from the original current, and so the original (applied) current gets smaller. Hence why we see the emf in the rotor coil get smaller the faster it spins.

Hope this helps in some way :wink: sorry I couldn't quote posts - not sure if you can as a non-member.

edit: turns out I had to sign up anyway to post :L

Yes I wasn't too sure and your explanation is brilliant, covers practically all the fundamentals you need to know for electromagnetism in general. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I should be revising for this exam, but I can't bring myself to with C3 and C4 just around the corner. Just hoping I have enough retained physics!
Reply 46
Original post by RATKING
Yes I wasn't too sure and your explanation is brilliant, covers practically all the fundamentals you need to know for electromagnetism in general. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem!
Can someone explain to me what the pre-release means on line 19-20 where it says it doping creates defect sites with a raised energy level. I understand what defect sites are but what does it mean by a raised energy level?

Also under that it says that the radiation raises the energy level of the electrons where they become trapped? How/why are they trapped at that energy level? What is stopping them from emitting photons right there instead of needing to be heated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RATKING, 188GTS and Karoia thank you very much! Helped massively. How's everyone feeling for the exam then? :colondollar:
Reply 49
RATKING, 188GTS and Karoia thank you very much! Helped massively. How's everyone feeling for the exam then? :colondollar:

Very unprepared
Original post by 188GTS

x

Thanks for the wonderful explanation :smile:

Just an extra question, does this also apply for a generator? Or is it any different..
Reply 51
Could someone explain to me why flux is proportional to current? The question I'm referring to is 10a on June 10 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66749-question-paper-unit-g495-field-and-particle-pictures.pdf)

Thanks
Reply 52
Original post by m00c0w
Could someone explain to me why flux is proportional to current? The question I'm referring to is 10a on June 10 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66749-question-paper-unit-g495-field-and-particle-pictures.pdf)

Thanks

Alternating voltage is supplied to the coil, so an alternating magnetic field is created, so there's a change of flux. The electrons in the coil experience a force due to the change of flux, so they move. Movement of electrons is a flow of charge.

At least, that's what I think. Don't quote me on anything
Reply 53
Original post by Lazy-
Alternating voltage is supplied to the coil, so an alternating magnetic field is created, so there's a change of flux. The electrons in the coil experience a force due to the change of flux, so they move. Movement of electrons is a flow of charge.

At least, that's what I think. Don't quote me on anything

Quoted!

Thank you, that kind of makes sense!
Reply 54
Original post by m00c0w
Quoted!

Thank you, that kind of makes sense!

You anarchist you...
Original post by Bloxorus

Also under that it says that the radiation raises the energy level of the electrons where they become trapped? How/why are they trapped at that energy level?

I would also like to know this, could anyone help out? :redface:
Reply 56
I would also like to know this, could anyone help out? :redface:

I purely assume this is because an electron does not have sufficient energy to overcome the attractive force of the particle. Hence there is a potential well if you will where to escape this well (the attracting force of the defect site). When it is radiated, it gains enough energy to enter this well but then gets stuck at this energy level. It has to gain sufficient energy which is what happens when it is heated up to escape this force(I presume) :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by CrystalPlanet
Thanks for the wonderful explanation :smile:

Just an extra question, does this also apply for a generator? Or is it any different..

It certainly does :biggrin:

A motor and a generator are literally exactly the same thing;
turn a motor by hand and you produce an alternating current in the stator coils - now it's a generator.
send an alternating current through a generator and it turns like a motor.

Today's Formula 1 cars have 'motor-generator units' - the same machine that can do two jobs!

This is also why back emf arises - as a motor spins when under power, it turns itself into a generator too, sending flux through the core the wrong way, limiting its own performance.

EDIT: and just to add

Original post by 188GTS

More specifically this is the definition of back emf - a special case of Lenz's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-electromotive_force
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
I'm so scared for this exam, I feel like I'll fail
Reply 59
I've got another question, 10c Jan 2011. (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66775-question-paper-unit-g495-field-and-particle-pictures.pdf). I thought the first step would be to find the volume ratio which would be 4/3*pi*r^3, but in the mark scheme that just do r^3. Can someone explain why please? Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending