Phoebe Joan xo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
is it just me that thinks it is better to start of a as a shop assistant , for example and then work your way up to key holder, suppervisor/manager , area manager ect than go in straight at managerial level with a degree. Because this way you know how the company works and how the decisions you make will effect "the hard end" .. yes uni gives you knowledge but knowledge is no good without context
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree (in almost all cases). Fortunately most employers seem to agree as well. It's very rare to find any company which will allow a fresh graduate into a managerial role without experience. Even 'management training' graduate schemes involve a lot of learning at level one and have a high drop-out rate because of the demands; the majority of graduate schemes are at or close to the bottom rung of a company.

It's sometimes possible to skip levels if you're a natural, of course. But I do think proving oneself is important, particularly as staff will not follow someone who can't lead.

No degree can teach anyone how to manage people, it's something people can usually either do, or can't do, and requires experience and innate ability rather than qualifications. A degree might be helpful for other roles, but managerial ones in sensible companies are usually held by those who have proved themselves either with that company or elsewhere.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well the ones that go straight into the role from uni are usually not respected by the workers. Also that doesn't even happen if the guy from uni has no work experience.
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's how it should be.

Qualifications don't automatically make you the best choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads