This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B664 - Holidays (Statutory Entitlement) Bill 2014, TSR Government

Holidays (Statutory Entitlement) Act 2014

An Act to extend workers' entitlement to paid leave by ending unpaid, involuntary bank holidays.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Part I

Paid Leave and Public Holidays

1 Entitlement to Paid Leave
  1. An employee is entitled to 7 weeks' paid holiday per year
    1. this figure of '7' is to replace the previous '5.6' in all acts of parliament that concern paid holiday allowance.
  2. For four days of the paid leave entitlement, the decision on when these occur is to be taken at the complete discretion of the worker
    1. provided that, firstly, the worker informs their employee of their intentions fourteen days prior to the first of their chosen dates;
    2. and, secondly, that a previous Act of Parliament does not designated an employer as an essential or minimum service.

2 Bank Holidays
  1. Bank holidays are hereby abolished.

Part II

Miscellaneous

3 Short title
  1. This Act may be referred to as the Holidays (Statutory Entitlement) Act 2014.

4 Commencement
  1. This Act will come into effect on the 1st of January 2015.
NotesThis Bill seeks to extend paid holiday leave for workers in the United Kingdom. It seeks to achieve this through the abolition of bank holidays - these are days when most businesses in the country cease work due to the closure of the banks. There is no automatic right to time off on these days, however. It is common for employers to insist that workers use up their paid leave allowance on these days, something that also occurs because most, especially low paid workers, cannot afford to go a day without earning eight times per year.

Bank holidays have their origin in the Christian feast days observed by the Bank of England in previous centuries. In practice, they reduce economic activity, with one estimate predicting that the UK's gross domestic product would be £19bn higher every year, in spite of increased activity within the hospitality and leisure sector of the economy.

The Bill proposes that we increase paid holiday allowance, funding this increase in worker-friendly holiday entitlement by ending bank holidays. The mode used to calculate a person's holiday entitlement is multiplying the number of days they work each week by the number of weeks they are entitled to. Currently, the allowance is 5.6 weeks. So a person working a 5 day week is entitled to 28 days paid holiday per year and so forth (though it should be noted that, even if you work more than 5 days, this is the highest figure you may use in determining your entitlement). So, as a result of this proposal, a worker doing a 5 day week would be entitled to 35 days of paid leave per year, instead of 28 days and 8 unpaid days (which, as mentioned, are usually merged with their paid leave out of either necessity or the insistence of their employers).
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
aye
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's an essential service? All tube drivers could decide to take the same four days and the network could not run then. Or all the people who work in my local bank, or even all of those in my local pub on a day of a World Cup game (after all, you only need three days holiday to cover all England games in a World Cup).
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.

(Original post by barnetlad)
What's an essential service? All tube drivers could decide to take the same four days and the network could not run then. Or all the people who work in my local bank, or even all of those in my local pub on a day of a World Cup game (after all, you only need three days holiday to cover all England games in a World Cup).
The tube carries on during bank holidays, even Christmas I believe. This suggests there are enough drivers and support staff to even cover days that the vast majority of the country want as vacation.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye, sounds good.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why?
Faland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
Why?
Read the notes section.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Faland)
Read the notes section.
Interesting, definitely a compelling economic and social mobility argument there will have to mull over this due to the loss of tradition/history and extra bureaucracy of implementation attached with bill but so far unsure.
Faland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
Interesting, definitely a compelling economic and social mobility argument there will have to mull over this due to the loss of tradition/history and extra bureaucracy of implementation attached with bill but so far unsure.
There's no extra bureaucracy attached to this bill, neither for businesses nor the government. And we won't have lost history - it'd still be there, behind us, where it belongs.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In favour but would like this bill to go even further. UK workers' hours far exceed those of other developed countries and allowing workers to refresh themselves little and often or long and rarely as they see fit boosts morale and productivity (especially in innovative sectors). As such I'd call for there to be 10.5 weeks paid holiday per year.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm leaning towards an aye for this due to the potential economic benefits - though small businesses in particular should be reassured their overheads/productivity are not going to suffer significantly as a result of this becoming law.
nikkoch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
aye
Jarred
Rep:
?
This is in cessation but will be going to vote soon.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll be abstaining.
Melancholy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Decent.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (37)
11.31%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.67%
No, but I want to start (116)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (73)
22.32%
No, I chose not to (89)
27.22%