Formula for resistance of filament lamp?

Watch
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I already know that the filament lamp is a non-ohmic conductor and the resistance isn't proportional to voltage, but is there a mathematical formula of working out the resistance of a filament lamp (or any other non-ohmic conductor that has non linear resistance) given some other information like the temperature and length of wire.

Thanks for helping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
R = Ro (1 + kT)

Resistance increases linearly with temp for a metal wire. This only applies for filament lamps not for any non-ohmic conductor eg LED

Ro = resistance at zero Celesius

k is a constant. which depends on the metal (temp coefficient of resistance)
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to expand upon what he teachcol said, I'm guessing (because I haven't seen it before) that that formula actually outputs a resistivity. If you haven't come across resistivity before, it's the letter rho is the equation:

R=\dfrac{\rho l} {A}

R is resistance, l is length and A is cross sectional area. The greek letter rho is the one that looks like a p
interstitial
Rep:
?
(Original post by lerjj)
Just to expand upon what he teachcol said, I'm guessing (because I haven't seen it before) that that formula actually outputs a resistivity. If you haven't come across resistivity before, it's the letter rho is the equation:

R=\dfrac{\rho l} {A}

R is resistance, l is length and A is cross sectional area. The greek letter rho is the one that looks like a p
I've seen the equation before, thanks for helping though

Why would it output a resistivity? Everything in that equation cancels out to leave you with ohms (  \Omega \cdot \ q \cdot q^{-1} ) isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lerjj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by majmuh24)
I've seen the equation before, thanks for helping though

Why would it output a resistivity? Everything in that equation is dimensionless except from R_0,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah sorry, I kinda meant that conceptually it feels like it should be resistivity... but it works fine for both.

Changed by post around a bit to make more sense. I only posted that because your OP mentioned length, and that was the only relevant equation I could think of.
Stonebridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It doesn't output resistivity.
It tells you the resistance at a temperature T in deg Celsius given that you know the value at 0 deg Celcius (Ro)
interstitial
Rep:
?
(Original post by lerjj)
Yeah sorry, I kinda meant that conceptually it feels like it should be resistivity... but it works fine for both.

Changed by post around a bit to make more sense. I only posted that because your OP mentioned length, and that was the only relevant equation I could think of.
The resistance of the wire would also depend on the resistivity of the material, so it might be a factor if you think of it like that, but I think the overall resistance is what really matters.

(Original post by Stonebridge)
It doesn't output resistivity.
It tells you the resistance at a temperature T in deg Celsius given that you know the value at 0 deg Celcius (Ro)
That's what I thought it did in the first place

Posted from TSR Mobile
lerjj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The resistance of the wire would also depend on the resistivity of the material, so it might be a factor if you think of it like that, but I think the overall resistance is what really matters.

That's what I thought it did in the first place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, just to be 100% clear: I typed something too quickly and it was wrong. That equation has to output resistance because of it's units.

However, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the area of the wire over the length of the wire (because it doesn't change) and voila, it now gives resistivity. Which I think is a nicer analogy, because we're talking about how the material changes with temperature.

But yes, I made a mistake and am currently googling Hari Kari.
Stonebridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a lot of simultaneous posting here.
I think we've sorted out the resistance and resistivity confusion.
Stonebridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
O

I wouldn't worry about it.
Making the odd mistake is part of the fun.
I've had many a laugh at my own expense.
Thanks for your answers on here recently.
Keep up the good work.
interstitial
Rep:
?
(Original post by lerjj)
Ok, just to be 100% clear: I typed something too quickly and it was wrong. That equation has to output resistance because of it's units.

However, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the area of the wire over the length of the wire (because it doesn't change) and voila, it now gives resistivity. Which I think is a nicer analogy, because we're talking about how the material changes with temperature.

Right, I was getting confused for a second there

I guess so, I just prefer to think of it as a linear relationship because resistance just seems easier to deal with in my head (besides, you can use the resistivity in working out the resistance of a given length of material with a certain cross sectional area anyway.)

Haha, don't worry, it happens to me all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
lerjj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha, don't worry, it happens to me all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
*pulls knife out of stomach*
You tell me this now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28.07%
No (287)
71.93%

Watched Threads